SASS Wire Forum

Senator Lt. Col.

Subdeacon Joe

Iowa’s new senator-elect has other duties before she heads to Washington.

Des Moines — A day after winning one of the most contested Senate seats in the country, Joni Ernst reported for duty at her National Guard base. Ernst, a lieutenant colonel, started two days of training with the 185th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion on Thursday.

Ernst served in Operation Iraqi Freedom and has been in the National Guard since 1993.

pic_giant_110714_SM_Joni_Ernst-Army.jpg

Classy lady.

Commandant of the Air Force Academy is Lt.Gen. Michelle Johnson. Commander of USAF 2nd Bomb Wing is Col. Kristin Goodwin. Sec'y of the Air Force is Deborah Lee James. Forget that "glass ceiling", ladies. If you have what it takes, you can go far...maybe even (gulp) CINC! :FlagAm:

Totally unrelated but here's one thing I don't like about the ACU:

No branch insignia for officers.

Congratulations to Col Ernst on her victory!

What the Army needs is a good khaki Class B uniform.

Damn right!

Best of luck Sen Ernst. Kick some butt.

I started a new thread on uniforms so's not to take away from her great victory and service.

Totally unrelated but here's one thing I don't like about the ACU:

No branch insignia for officers.

Congratulations to Col Ernst on her victory!

With the muted rank insignia, how do you tell a Major from a Lt. Col?

Another photo of her:

ernst_00.jpg

Bob, that ain't thread highjack.

Not that I mind thread highjacks. Conversations tend to wander.

Don't mean I have ta like it. :D

With the muted rank insignia, how do you tell a Major from a Lt. Col?

Another photo of her:

ernst_00.jpg

Looks like her branch is either Transportation or Logistics. I'm guessing Logistics.

Read her bio; it's Logistics Branch

Looks like her branch is either Transportation or Logistics Corps.

Logistics.

Ernst is a lieutenant colonel in the logistics branch and currently commands the 185th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion at Camp Dodge, the largest battalion in the Iowa Army National Guard.[10][11] As of 2014, Ernst had served 21 years between the Army Reserve and the National Guard. She spent 14 months in Kuwait in 2003-2004 as a company commander during Operation Iraqi Freedom

Yaaaahoooo!!!! The Senator she's replacing was the most Anti-gun POS we had.

We're smiling in Iowa!!

Wait... does she outrank herself now?

:FlagAm:

Hell no. Senators are not in the chain of command.

Some think they are though. :huh:

At least she's qualified to be. :)

During my lifetime, the best Presidents have had active duty military experience, and the worst have had no military experience whatsoever. This may be self-evident to a lot of you, and I admit that there are some exceptions to this general rule, but active service seems to add an extra dimension of seriousness and capability to otherwise competent individuals. I personally consider it to be a requirement for high political office.

LL

During my lifetime, the best Presidents have had active duty military experience, and the worst have had no military experience whatsoever. This may be self-evident to a lot of you, and I admit that there are some exceptions to this general rule, but active service seems to add an extra dimension of seriousness and capability to otherwise competent individuals. I personally consider it to be a requirement for high political office.

LL

I must disagree. Just had this discussion with some vets the other day.

My feeling is lack of military service should be no impediment for seeking office.

If a requirement, what exactly would it be? Just military service? Overseas deployment? Combat? Would service as a JAG officer be better than service as a Bos'n?

It gets very complicated and can leave out those who might be physically unable to serve but are otherwise highly qualified. Then you have those who join just to get that qualification on their resume rather than an actual desire to serve. I'd be leery of the guy on my squad who should have my back but just joined to get his ticket punched and doesn't want to stick his neck out too far and cut short his budding political career.

Military service might be a good thing to have, but I know some who don't seem to have benefitted from it at all. Would't trust them to open a can o' beans.

No, I prefer the system we have. I may be in the minority but I'm firm on this.

Hell no. Senators are not in the chain of command.

Some think they are though. :huh:

At least she's qualified to be. :)

Senator Lieutenant Colonel isn't an official rank?? It's just a made up thing like Radar's promotion to Corporal Captain to get him into the officer's club? :P:lol:

Senator Lieutenant Colonel isn't an official rank?? It's just a made up thing like Radar's promotion to Corporal Captain to get him into the officer's club? :P:lol:

Well, there was Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten too. :D

I must disagree. Just had this discussion with some vets the other day.

My feeling is lack of military service should be no impediment for seeking office.

If a requirement, what exactly would it be? Just military service? Overseas deployment? Combat? Would service as a JAG officer be better than service as a Bos'n?

It gets very complicated and can leave out those who might be physically unable to serve but are otherwise highly qualified. Then you have those who join just to get that qualification on their resume rather than an actual desire to serve. I'd be leery of the guy on my squad who should have my back but just joined to get his ticket punched and doesn't want to stick his neck out too far and cut short his budding political career.

Military service might be a good thing to have, but I know some who don't seem to have benefitted from it at all. Would't trust them to open a can o' beans.

No, I prefer the system we have. I may be in the minority but I'm firm on this.

UB;

Please re-read my post. I am not proposing an exclusion from eligibility. I do not propose to change the existing system. I simply have decided that I want my choice for President to have active military experience. Nothing more. I agree with the remainder of your post.

LL

UB;

Please re-read my post. I am not proposing an exclusion from eligibility. I do not propose to change the existing system. I simply have decided that I want my choice for President to have active military experience. Nothing more. I agree with the remainder of your post.

LL

My error. Reading comprehension at 65% this evening.

Which, while low is better than the Prez's approval rating. ;)

Archived