SASS Wire Forum

Win 94 & Short Stroke Kits

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

I just got a Winchester 94 AE in 45 Long Colt. I was wondering about putting in a short stroke kit. What are the preferred manufactures of these kits. I would like to find something that is relatively easy to install.

Thanks,

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

I just got a Winchester 94 AE in 45 Long Colt. I was wondering about putting in a short stroke kit. What are the preferred manufactures of these kits. I would like to find something that is relatively easy to install.

Thanks,

Col Del Rio

There is not one for the Winchester 94.

A few people can do them on a Marlin.

But not sure about the Win. As VERY few people shoot them.

Col,

to my limited knowledge, the only short stroke kits available for the rifles we use in CAS are for the 1866 and 1873 rifles.

There are a couple very prominent gunsmiths who can set up a MARLIN 1894 for a short stroke. That would be Cowboy Carty in Illinois and Lassiter in Ohio.

I'm not aware of any kit to short stroke the Marlin 1894.

Hopefully, if there is such an animal available for the WInchester 1894, LARSEN will pipe in and give as good a details as anyone.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Better option is to start off with another rifle to short stroke { 66, 73 }. The Win 94 is a fine carbine, just not suited for CAS :). That being said, the geometry of the mechanics in the 94 are not as readily adaptive to "short stroking" as are toggle guns.

Throw enuff money at a project and anything is possible. A cut and weld and bend job I suppose could be done but would be prohibitively expensive. Better to put those funds toward a 73 already slicked and short stroked from one of our excellent cowboy gun tuners. The looong throw of the lever on the Win 94 was designed for long rifle cartridges like the good ole thutty thutty. I started with a 45 Colt 94 TE src back in 96 and it never failed me. It was my onlyiest rifle for the first 3 years. It was a different game back then. It is honorably retired now but I could conceivable use it as a Wild Bunch rifle in an emergency but not for the run and gun game CAS has become.

If you must run the Win 94 for a while best idea I can come up with is the poor boy action job where you sit and watch a western movie whilst levering and levering and levering mucho times

They can be smoothed out a little, but short stroking would be difficult and problematic, even if someone were to try it. If you're going to use it, you'll see, after a while, that you can be faster with a '66 or '73. However, if that's what you have to start, use it. It'll work. Have fun.

It took me three matches to start outrunning the action on a Win 94. Short stroke would have made it two matches.

Fine rifle, but they don't like cycling fast.

No one has brought the issue of money. A new 66 or 73 is going to run 1450.00 to 1600.00 and some change according to were you get it with a short stroke. stock one maybe around 1200.00. This might be outside of what you want to spend, so do a sass seach on different rifles to see if there is something else. A used Marlin in a caliber that is not one of the popular ones (44,32-20 etc) will be acouple hundred cheaper. A 92 setup by Nate Jones or Lassiter will be smoother and will work for awhile until funds and speed make a 66/73 better. Good luck

believe Maruaders web site discusses the win 94. had one went down the road long time ago GW

No one has brought the issue of money. A new 66 or 73 is going to run 1450.00 to 1600.00 and some change according to were you get it with a short stroke. stock one maybe around 1200.00. This might be outside of what you want to spend, so do a sass seach on different rifles to see if there is something else. A used Marlin in a caliber that is not one of the popular ones (44,32-20 etc) will be acouple hundred cheaper. A 92 setup by Nate Jones or Lassiter will be smoother and will work for awhile until funds and speed make a 66/73 better. Good luck

I think you can beat those cost estimates. In the last year my son bought two barely used 73s with wonderful gunsmithing and SS kits for well under $1000. One in 44-40 other in 45 LC. A new shooter should check shooter forums in their area for gun classifieds.

92 would be a much better inexpensive choice.

I have been shooting a 92 for 6 years now and if she is set up right she will flat out run good.

For all the na Sayers check out Deuce Stevens video on a 92.

You will see the 92 is viable if set up right.

You should be able to buy a used 92 all ready set up for 500 to 600 dollars .

Or buy a new one around 450.00 .

The buy Steve's CD and spring kit from Stevesgunz.com and set her up your self.

If you want to ss it because you want to go faster.

Might just think about a different rifle altogether.

Sorry if you have already bought it.

Do your homework before you buy anything else.

Col...as others have mentioned the 94 was designed for Rifle length cartridges.

While short stroking it would be perhaps possible it would certainly be cost prohibitive.

I presume you are a "newbie" . Google can be your friend and you can search out information

on the design of all the old rifles and become self taught . It is fascinationg. That said the

smoothest 94 I've ever seen was done by Cody Conager of "The Cowboy Shop"

Regards,

Train Robber

I shot my first match with a 94AE in .45 Colt, it worked, but there are better rifles for this game. My Winchester now sports a small red-dot and is relegated to deer hunting, as it can take +P .45 Colt rounds and not blow up. I ended up getting an Uberti 1860 in 44-40, then a Rossi 92 in .357, and a Taurus Thunderbolt in .45 Colt. As long as the screws are tight, I don't have problems with any of them during a match.

If you go straight to a high price store you might pay that much

I picked up a 66 at a gun store few months back for 700. Talked to a local gunsmith about "inexpensive" options, he had a used 3rd gen short stroke that he had just pulled out of a gun to put change it to a 5th gen. I'm into the whole gun under 900

If you go straight to a high price store you might pay that much

I picked up a 66 at a gun store few months back for 700. Talked to a local gunsmith about "inexpensive" options, he had a used 3rd gen short stroke that he had just pulled out of a gun to put change it to a 5th gen. I'm into the whole gun under 900

I'd love to know what you think a NEW 66/73 costs...you know...at a not so "high price" store.

Phantom

Well, I just checked Cimarron's and Taylor's websites. Cimarron lists a 66 between $1,190 - $1,270. Taylor's lists those same rifles at from $1,166 - $1,181.

I've seen them new as low as 950 for a 73 new in box unmodified, and 1200 slicked up by a well known smith. Those where seen this year. Don't see it every day at bass pro or sportsmans, but you see it. I saw a uberti 73 carbine commerative John Wayne gun in a pawn shop for 550 last year. Gun didn't have a bit of wear or a scratch. The only reason I didn't get it was because it was a 45 and I shoot 38 or 44-40.

92 would be a much better inexpensive choice.

I have been shooting a 92 for 6 years now and if she is set up right she will flat out run good.

For all the na Sayers check out Deuce Stevens video on a 92.

You will see the 92 is viable if set up right.

You should be able to buy a used 92 all ready set up for 500 to 600 dollars .

Or buy a new one around 450.00 .

The buy Steve's CD and spring kit from Stevesgunz.com and set her up your self.

Yeah, but Deuce isn't using it in the main match.......and there is a reason. They are a great gun if you are looking to shoot for fun or at a moderate level. But if you want to be holding wood at the end of the match you better look elsewhere.

This gets posted with some regularity, but seeing as Col Del Rio is new here, let's provide this service again.

In order of desirability, for CAS competition use:

1. 1873 Winchester Uberti clone. The straight-feed design, abetted by years of experience with this rifle have led to several gunsmiths being able to make this the premiere rifle for competitors. *

2. 1866 Winchester clone - ditto the above, but no safety... :-o!

3. 1894 Marlin, with an action job.

4. Winchester 1892, with an action job, which should include replacing one particular, very important, internal spring!

5. 1894 Winchester - never designed for the pistol-length cartridges that we use, thus edging into Un-desirability - although they can still be used, they will eventually disappoint, in a fast-paced game.

6. Henry Big Boy. See above.

Unless you know Lassiter, and like paying him for his expertise, in their various incarnations, steer clear of the pump rifles; no manufacturer has quite got them right, yet.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

FJT

* The new, Miroku Winchesters are well-built, but have unique internals, and thus, lack the body of experience to make them good race rifles - so far. Winchester missed a great opportunity, here...

This gets posted with some regularity, but seeing as Col Del Rio is new here, let's provide this service again.

In order of desirability, for CAS competition use:

1. 1873 Winchester Uberti clone. The straight-feed design, abetted by years of experience with this rifle have led to several gunsmiths being able to make this the premiere rifle for competitors. *

2. 1866 Winchester clone - ditto the above, but no safety... :-o!

3. 1894 Marlin, with an action job.

4. Winchester 1892, with an action job, which should include replacing one particular, very important, internal spring!

5. 1894 Winchester - never designed for the pistol-length cartridges that we use, thus edging into Un-desirability - although they can still be used, they will eventually disappoint, in a fast-paced game.

6. Henry Big Boy. See above.

Unless you know Lassiter, and like paying him for his expertise, in their various incarnations, steer clear of the pump rifles; no manufacturer has quite got them right, yet.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

FJT

* The new, Miroku Winchesters are well-built, but have unique internals, and thus, lack the body of experience to make them good race rifles - so far. Winchester missed a great opportunity, here...

AGREE 100 %. As an aside, there are rare 66 clones with trigger block safeties.

+1 to the Frederick Jackson Turner list. Shooting around the Denver area, I have seen a few shooters start off with Winchester 94s designed for pistol length cartridges. In every case I know of, those shooters switched to some other type of rifle before long.

Here's my Taurus. But Deadly Dallas completely re-engineered it

I am gonna good naturedly contradict that statement.

I've got an AWA in .45 Colt, and it is factory stock. It functions flawlessly, and I've even let a couple of newbies use it with no problems. It has, much to my surprise, become my favorite gun, in front of my Henry, 66, 73 and 3 92's.

I am gonna good naturedly contradict that statement.

I've got an AWA in .45 Colt, and it is factory stock. It functions flawlessly, and I've even let a couple of newbies use it with no problems. It has, much to my surprise, become my favorite gun, in front of my Henry, 66, 73 and 3 92's.

You are one lucky guy!

Archived