SASS Wire Forum

LARGE, CLOSE TARGETS?

Bart Solo

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you possibly find fun in shooting at a 'AR500' steel barn door at a whooping 10 yds? :)

Edit: Let us define barn door size as 20ft x 20ft.

I can find fun in shooting nearly any target you can imagine so long as nobody gets hurt doing it!! ;):rolleyes:B)

LD,

With two targets (4ft x 4ft), you have all kinds of variety sweeps!!

Like:

1)1,4 from the left, twice

2)1-4 from the right,twice

3)2-3 from the left,twice

4)2-3 from the right,twice

5)5-5 from the left

6)5-5 from the right

7)continuous Nevada from the left

8)continuous Nevada from the right

9) Progressive sweep from left

10)Progressive sweep from the right

11) outside/outside/outside/.... for ten rounds, starting on the left, then the right.

11) with SG, engage each,,,Golden BB works. Penalty if the target is knocked down. Be sure to set targets close for the Sxs shooters.

Well, you get it,,, the sky is the limit with variety of sweeps and about all the regular sweeps that we know and love still work. Oh ya, don't end with rifle.

Don't forget, Pistols; left, left, left right left and repeat!! Rifle; same as pistols, repeat with second five rounds. Shotgun; double tap sweep for six rounds. :lol::lol:

:lol:

Yup, I'm all for just setting 4x8 sheets of steel and banging away at them. No challenge, no creativity, no movement. I guess that's why my matches usually average 5 - 6 shooters...

Whoops, that not my events doing that, is it?

I was confused, my events are well attended and enjoyed. With a reputation and regular mention as some of the best events in Cowboy Action.

Yes, a major ingredient is the philosophy of generously sized target placed closer to the firing line, but it not as simple as that. It takes all components in proper proportion. The best ingredients handled incorrectly will be unappetizing. I believe big and close are the better quality ingredients to begin with.

I can find fun in shooting nearly any target you can imagine so long as nobody gets hurt doing it!! ;):rolleyes:B)

Don't forget, Pistols; left, left, left right left and repeat!! Rifle; same as pistols, repeat with second five rounds. Shotgun; double tap sweep for six rounds. :lol::lol:

thanks, and your are spot on.

you got my drift of humor.

we have Creekers 2015 match stages in the books for him. :P

there should be a very high percentile of clean AND HAPPY shooters using the above. Each clean shooter gets a surprise award.

I can suggest that the club split open a card board box (at each bay) that an upright refrigerator came in and stand it upright in front of the flat table the rifle/sg are staged, with three different gun ports cut out for splatter control for the shooter & TO. Make a low gun port, medium height gun port and high gun port openings. Optional knife to fabricate another port if needed. Shooters choice. :D

Gosh after 9pages, we now have a solution for splatter control that is easy and affordable. LOL. For the spotters, a full height cardboard shield (think Roman shield thingy) with a peep hole for viewing and handle to hold upright. :)

Yup, I'm all for just setting 4x8 sheets of steel and banging away at them. I thought you would. No challenge, no creativity, no movement.

As others have mentioned, go FAST for your challenge. Toggle that lever, thumb those hammers, shuck those hulls. Take all the time you need, but do it quickly. :)

I guess that's why my matches usually average 5 - 6 shooters...

Whoops, that not my events doing that, is it?

You haven't been to the Cowboy Universe Championship Match? It is a hoot and out of this world for fun. All categories, all firearms, all powder, any costume, whatever powder factor,,,, well, ya bring it, ya can shoot it type of match. Awards to all. Should trump the World & National Championships. Coming to a Galaxy near you. :lol:

Here to help you. The stage descriptions have been written for you in a post above.

BTW, I thought all this time it was the Eldorado Club (you know, other people helped too) that put on the shoot, not you all by yourself. My mistake.

I for one find no fault with someone setting up steel, writing a story then a description of what they want done. Going out in the early morning and painting them and seeing that all the little details are taken care of. Then they let me shoot at them. After that they compile the scores and print them in a variety of ways so that I can see what a nice and easy day I had. Close, far, big, little you set them up and let me shoot I will not bitch, if I don't like it I will not come as often so far that hasn't happened. Now put a lock on it.

your mileage may vary

Semper Fi

I love posts like this...

Tell me ONE person that thinks this type of target/stage is worth advocating...just one.

If there are any new shooters reading this silliness, please disregard it as nothing but angry nonsense.

Phantom

It was tongue in cheek as you well know. New shooters should take the ephereal one's cracks with a grain of salt. I am not a fast name star shooter so I cannot be afforded any respect. I am old slow and in the way, crippling arthritis and the ravages of Agent Orange etc make me a duffer. But that's ok and contrary to the accusation I am not angry. Not in the least, cowboy action shooting makes me happy. I don't even get angry if there is nothing to eat but pepperoni. See here is the thing. If you get on this guy's list he will dog your cats unmercifully the rest of your days. And that's ok too as it makes me kinda proud to be up high on that list, maybe even at the top.

Disparaging others and casting aspersions on their opinions if they do not match up with yours is unseemly. Keep it up. No one else I know of wants your title you so richly deserve of "person most likely to piss off people on the Wire".

Nine pages, 285 posts, and how many opinions changed?

None.

As the guy who started this thread, I have to say I am amazed it is still going strong. I guess it is a tribute to the polar vortex.

Here to help you. The stage descriptions have been written for you in a post above.

BTW, I thought all this time it was the Eldorado Club (you know, other people helped too) that put on the shoot, not you all by yourself. My mistake.

I appreciate the stage sequences - I will be sure to give you the stage writing credit at the next match.

And in this instance, you are correct.

The Eldorado Cowboys have a fantastic group of folks that help put on our matches and I have no right to claim the credit.

I will try harder to remember to substitute "We" for "I" in the future.

I appreciate the stage sequences - I will be sure to give you the stage writing credit at the next match.

And in this instance, you are correct.

The Eldorado Cowboys have a fantastic group of folks that help put on our matches and I have no right to claim the credit.

I will try harder to remember to substitute "We" for "I" in the future.

Thank you. ;):D

Only on the Wire am I this obstinate; in real life, I am actually quite a nice guy.

Creeker and I often disagree on how we get to a specific point.

However, on the end result you will find that we agree most of the time.

Believe me, if Creeker followed his heart he would have targets a lot closer than he sets them.

But he follows the desires of his customers as do I and sets them at a distance that we get the most smiles from those customers.

If you attend any club shoot or major match in the Las Vegas area, you will find that they are all well attended and there are a lot of smiles.

As to splatter...... I have been hit hard once in the last several years. The SLUG (shaped like a 45 cal saw blade) penetrated my cheek all the way through to the inside. It came from a neighboring adjoining bay. A distance of about 40 yards.

The hardest I have seen Creeker hit by splatter was a SLUG that came from a adjoining bay separated by a 10 foot high berm. It hit him square between the eyes above his glasses.

Neither occasions had anything to do with how close or far the targets were placed to the shooter.

Favorite matches: EOT, Bordertown, Eldorado, Verde Valley Range Wars, Winter Range. Great stages, big enough, close enoungh, interesting, no p traps, yet challenging. Have two children in the sport and have not been concerned with spatter, yet realize it can happen. As big and close as the targets are, often only around a third of all shooters shoot clean. Everyone seems to enjoy these matches!!!!! Thanks for all the hard work in providing them.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I killed a squirrel with a stick once.

Bux

We were bored on the Rez one day and thought of filming a squirrel hunt for the out door channel. We could whisper from inside the shed and wait for them to come around the bird feeder... and later after shooting one with a long bow we would go act excited and it would be darker out than when we started to film in the day.

Then we decided to hell with it, there is too much of that canned hunting on TV already. So we made fry bread with burgers on it and commodity cheese. A stray cat started getting the squirrels so I adopted him and called him shop kitty cuz that's the first thing I saw in the background that morning.

FB maybe one day you will be known as Squirrel Sticker

I killed a squirrel with a stick once.

Bux

I used to "Bark" squirrels with My JC Higgins model 31. Barked one off a telephone line one day. That ended my squirrel barkin' career.

Any attempt by others to hijack this thread will be greatly appreciated.

''''''''''''

As to splatter...... I have been hit hard once in the last several years. The SLUG (shaped like a 45 cal saw blade) penetrated my cheek all the way through to the inside. It came from a neighboring adjoining bay. A distance of about 40 yards.

The hardest I have seen Creeker hit by splatter was a SLUG that came from a adjoining bay separated by a 10 foot high berm. It hit him square between the eyes above his glasses.

Neither occasions had anything to do with how close or far the targets were placed to the shooter.

Both occasions have a lot to do with how close those shooters were to where the splatter originated. Both occasions have a lot to do with luck. There were two shooters in those two incidents and uncounted bystanders (TO, LT etc) and every one of them lucked out big time. Anyone closer would have been hit harder. They lucked out because they were more apt to be hit .

The probability of being hit is a function of distance. It's so obvious its amazing. Who is more apt to get hit, a Boston Marathon runner at the bomb site, one 20yds away, one 50 yds, one yet to come into the finish line straight? And who is more apt to be injured badly, close or distant.

Who is more apt to get hit by small splatter: the shooter, the TO, the people at the loading table, or the people in the parking lot. Now, how about being more apt to get hit by large splatter: the shooter, TO, LT, parking lot or further.

As for getting hit by large splatter "40 yards" away, the pertinent detail in that incident is how lucky it was that YOUR slug didn't hit anyone closer. Had it hit someone closer it would have carried a higher velocity, giving it much more energy and far more "knockdown power". Are you suggesting that since the slug that wound up slashing through your cheek only penetrated your face, there aren't any real dangers? It really doesn't prove the targets were setup at ok distance from the shooters because the shooters weren't hit. Two anecdotal examples of people actually getting hit by big chunks doesn't prove anything being discussed, just as two examples of people NOT getting hit proves anything either.

It appears that more people get hit by big pieces of lead than previously thought. That makes sense as the only people I know who have similar experiences no longer shoot cowboy matches and wouldn't come here anyway.

When I first started this game I thought that the targets were Big and Close. Over the years as the speed has increased, they became even Bigger and Closer. Today's game is now a contest of who can operate the action of the guns fastest. It's just a matter of time before someone shoots themselves in the foot trying to shoot a target that been move in Closer yet! But honestly... one of my biggest concerns is safety. Some clubs move their targets in close.. because that's the Chic thing to do and they don't realize that they do NOT have targets/stands that are safe at these very short distances. A bullet rebounding off such a close target can be really dangerous. One shooter at a recent Big and Close match had to go to the hospital to have a bullet removed from inside his mouth from such a target. I'm not against Big and Close, Yes... then can be fun, but I am against Dumb and Stupid. Just moving the stands in close is NOT enough. If shooters are getting a lot of feedback, then you are NOT prepared for this type of match. Either spend the money/time to make it right... or don't do it!

Snakebite

Wow, 304 post and counting.

I wonder how many rifles over the last several years have had multi number of squib bullets stacked up in the barrel cause the shooter was going at warp speed and could not, or would not stop and kept toggling the action and firing another round in a blocked barrel?

Has a rifle barrel blown up because of a plugged barrel with multi projectiles in it? Good practice to do such? i haven't heard of a SASS injury from a blown up firearm at warp speed. So perhaps it is nothing to worry about.

Ok for shooter to pay for his misguided actions, but to take (injure) the TO and other posse members with him? Hmmm.

What's this have to do with B&C? Hmmm, lets guess. The need for speed & fun.

Wow, 304 post and counting.

I wonder how many rifles over the last several years have had multi number of squib bullets stacked up in the barrel cause the shooter was going at warp speed and could not, or would not stop and kept toggling the action and firing another round in a blocked barrel?

Has a rifle barrel blown up because of a plugged barrel with multi projectiles in it? Good practice to do such? i haven't heard of a SASS injury from a blown up firearm at warp speed. So perhaps it is nothing to worry about.

Ok for shooter to pay for his misguided actions, but to take (injure) the TO and other posse members with him? Hmmm.

What's this have to do with B&C? Hmmm, lets guess. The need for speed & fun.

So now we are off of splatter and on to blown up guns. If big and close worry you that much then just shoot matches that are smaller and farther. I shoot all over and some I like more than others. But I have never went to a match director and told him how to do his job. When I had a chance to MD I did it exactly like I wanted. Some probably liked it and some probably didn't. We are all free to go to the clubs we like and stay away from the ones we don't. You are not going to change anybody's mind no matter how many reasons you come up with. Best reason for close targets? Don't have to carry them as far. Good luck

So now we are off of splatter and on to blown up guns. If big and close worry you that much then just shoot matches that are smaller and farther. I shoot all over and some I like more than others. But I have never went to a match director and told him how to do his job. When I had a chance to MD I did it exactly like I wanted. Some probably liked it and some probably didn't. We are all free to go to the clubs we like and stay away from the ones we don't. You are not going to change anybody's mind no matter how many reasons you come up with. Best reason for close targets? Don't have to carry them as far. Good luck

And fair enough.

Edit: It has been a lively conversation and has brought a subject out in the open and does appear not to be an isolated case.

Archived