SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of AR's....

Speaking of AR's, it seems Sassparilla Kid has been pondering one for a while. To that end, last week he bought a "Spike's Tactical" lower (which he'll be able to pick up next Saturday, after the required "cooling off" period).

And, being Sassparilla kid, he wants something different...

Any recommendations on sources for an upper assembly, or parts? Seems he wants a 6.5 Grendel, with a 1 in 8" twist.

And I'll confess that I'd never heard of the 6.5 'til last night, but it does have some interesting characteristics! :)

Howdy:

I reckon I would go with a 6.8 SPC - That is a show stopper - expensive to operate, but a real zinger.

Check out the ballistics between the two cartridges.

STL Suomi

The AR 15 twist1:9 is popular for the 65 and lower grain bullet. Then the 1:7 became popular for the 70 grain bullet. The 1:8 fall in between. In stability, the higher the rate of twist, the better accuracy, especiallly long range. Also higher the twist, the heavier the bullet you can fire accurately.

Myself for pinpoint 150yds accuracy consistantly, I like the 1:7 twist. Both of our ARs have 1:7. MT

Forgot, the 6.5 Grindel, my fellow shooters love it. Been beaten several times. The 6.5 can be loaded up to a 144 grain bullet. Might upgrade also. But wait till I get out of CAS, and more seriously into the AR and its many platforms. I might jump to the 6.5, Saint Louis Suomi is correct the 6.8 is a showstoper and get the blood up, and everyone at the range wanting to shoot it.

OH Great, I am just learning about the AR platform and Hardpan comes along with this.

:)

6.5 is a good hunting and long range round. .223/5.56 is fine for two legged predators and canine or rodential things. Cheaper too.

You may also check into the .300 AAC Blackout. That's an awesome do it all round. You can push the 110gr bullets up to the 2400 fps range and go up to the 250gr bullet at around 1000fps and have a hard hitting subsonic round that's really quiet through a suppressed rifle.

It's also a very good up and coming round that the major ammo companies are now making in both super and subsonic. It's great for hunting, tactical purposes, and competitive shooting.

JEL

Well, I'd suggested an AR-10, but hey... I'm just Dad - what do I know? ^_^

He'd considered the 6.8... for a while. Then he told me that it was interesting; everyone he talked to about the 6.8 recommended he do the 6.5, and everyone he mentioned the 6.5 to countered with a 6.8 recommendation. So he settled on and is pursuing the 6.5.

And so the request to our esteemed, experienced, and knowledgeable ranks for recommendations on who to consider for the upper assembly, barrel, and whatnot. :)

Get ready for it....

AR-15, without bolt modification
.17 Remington
.17/223
.20 Tactical
.20 Practical
.20 Vartag
.204 Ruger
.221 Fireball
.222 Remington
.222 Remington Magnum
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
.223 Remington Ackley Improved
6x45mm
6mm TCU
6x47mm
6mm Whisper
.25x45mm
6.5mm Whisper
7mm Whisper
7mm TCU
.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
.338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification
223 WSSM
5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
243 WSSM
6mm PPC
6mm WOA
6mm BR Remington
6mm Hagar
6.5mm PPC
6.5 WSSM
6.5 WOA
6.5mm Grendel
25 WSSM
6.8x43mm SPC
.30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
7.62x25
7.62x39mm
.30 RAR
300 OSSM
.357 Auto
.35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)
.358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)
.458 SOCOM
.50 Action Express
.50 Beowulf

AR-15 using a simple blowback operation
.17 HMR
.22 LR
.22 WMR
9x19mm
9x21
9x23
30 Carbine
357 Sig
40S&W
400 Cor-Bon
41 Action Express
10mm Auto
45 GAP
45ACP
45 Super
45 Win Mag

Is the lower stripped or dies he need internals?

Is the lower stripped or dies he need internals?

He sez it's complete... will be looking for the upper stuff.

Personally, I could write everything I know about AR's on the back of a postage stamp... Glad for him, but that's one bug that just never bit the old man here. :mellow:

That might change after I watch his project come together. Maybe. :)

HC,Run! Black Rifle Disease (BRD) is much more contageous than Ebola.

For the first EBR (Evil Black Rifle), I'd be tempted to go with the 5.56. The round is just too common. Welcome to the madness!

Now you guys tell me. :lol:

ED: I got to cogitating on the availability of the .223/5.56 ammo and reading some reports on the military

posture. After forty years of service I am wondering if the brass will switch gears and go in another direction and the Mil Surplus will go the way of the 30-06? It is getting hard to find the older stuff.

Maybe I am being just a bit too cautious and over thinking this thing.

But Uno is correct. EBR is contagious.

Now you guys tell me. :lol:

ED: I got to cogitating on the availability of the .223/5.56 ammo and reading some reports on the military

posture. After forty years of service I am wondering if the brass will switch gears and go in another direction and the Mil Surplus will go the way of the 30-06? It is getting hard to find the older stuff.

Maybe I am being just a bit too cautious and over thinking this thing.

But Uno is correct. EBR is contagious.

Older stuff is harder to find sure. But by the time 5.56 gets hard to find we'll be long dead.

Just a happy Monday thought. :D

I suggest your kid pass on the 6.5 and other variants, and instead, start out with the upper built around the common US military standard 5.56 round...NOT the caliber .223. As you may know, they are not the same round. This is a good training ground for your kid to learn patience, practice good economics and common sense and do research into the differences and considerations amongst the various ammo the AR can be built up into. Just one tip is that the 5.56 chambering = either 5.56 or .223 and the ammo's less $, which = more trigger time.

Duly noted, pards. :)

However, the Kid already has a .223 (.223 instead of 5.56 and non-AR, but close enough to satisfy that itch), and he's decided he wants his AR to be long range capable. He's done his research on the ballistics, and on components and costs, and it's what he wants.

And so the search for the "upper stuff." ;)

Lumpy... it's what the Kid wants.

Sometimes folks want things different from what we want.

Personally, I'd rather have a Peabody! ^_^

Image367.jpg

Take everything I say here with a grain of salt (or perhaps an entire shaker) as I don't own an AR-15 (I'm an AK guy).

If he wants long-range in a standard AR-15 lower, the 6.5 Grendel is really tough to beat. The bullets generally have a very high ballistic coefficient and are capable of outperforming the .308 at long distances. At shorter ranges, the .308's larger mass overpowers the Grendel, but the Grendel maintains velocity better, staying super sonic 200 or 300 yards longer than the .308 with less drop.

I've heard people say that the Grendel doesn't always work well in standard AR-15 mags, and that they recommend you buy mags from Alexander Arms. I wouldn't really know about that though.

If you're wanting a complete upper, then Alexander Arms is probably gonna be the best place to find precisely what you want. If on the other hand, you and your boy are handy with tools and can follow relatively simple instructions, it's not difficult to build the upper yourself. You can get a stainless steel match grade barrel and bolt already head spaced for the barrel from Shilen and shoot impressive groups if you do your part.

Lumpy... it's what the Kid wants.

Sometimes folks want things different from what we want.

Personally, I'd rather have a Peabody! ^_^

Image367.jpg

Again I'll ask-What does distance does your son call 'long-range'?

BTW-Marines in 'boot' have to qualify with their issue M-16s out to 600 yds with open(iron)sights.

When it all hits the fan...

5.56 and 7.62x39 will be what's laying around.

Chamber appropriately.

Don't forget the 7.62X51 NATO(.308) :D

OLG

Lumpy, the Kid's impressed with the reported accuracy, ballistics, and residual velocity and energy past 800 yards.

Now, as kindly as I can say this, he's researched and discussed it at length, and decided this is what he wants. And as a "fun gun," not a "SHTF gun." He has other options for that.

Have your son pick a caliber, and then have him find in-stock components. He'll rethink it--

This was the big WHY that I bought a Knights SR25 ER, a few yrs back.

http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/sr-25-er/?cate_cm=commercial&term=sr-25&features=sr-25-er

BTW, the 6.5G is a throat burner-- ;)

OLG

Lumpy, the Kid's impressed with the reported accuracy, ballistics, and residual velocity and energy past 800 yards.

Now, as kindly as I can say this, he's researched and discussed it at length, and decided this is what he wants. And as a "fun gun," not a "SHTF gun." He has other options for that.

:D

I predict you will continue to get advice on calibers (which he already decided on), and rifles (which he already bought).

Any of the big names in ARs would be a fine choice for the upper. He just needs to decide on bbl length, sights and forearm.

:D

I predict you will continue to get advice on calibers (which he already decided on), and rifles (which he already bought).

Any of the big names in ARs would be a fine choice for the upper. He just needs to decide on bbl length, sights and forearm.

You get a choice on those also?

You get a choice on those also?

Sure. You pick a bare upper receiver and then decide how you want to outfit it.... 16" bbl, 18", 20"? Fluted or straight, heavy or light, stainless? Sight and bayonet lug or rail on the gas block? Free float forearm? Flip up sights.

And then of course you get into optics.

A man could spend all his free time thinkin about this.

So I only do it on Mondays and third thursday of each month. :D

What happens if the ZOMBIES arrive while you are thunking?

Ya got a barrel and upper receiver with no lower, no hand guard and no sights.

Now what?

Simple.

Ya pulls out yer Peabody. :)

What happens if the ZOMBIES arrive while you are thunking?

Ya got a barrel and upper receiver with no lower, no hand guard and no sights.

Now what?

Well you should already have one in the safe.

And if not, juust drop back 5 yards and grab the old 30-06 thingy.

Archived