SASS Wire Forum

Non-CAS For those who lament the passing of the Colt Gov't .380...

ShadowCatcher

Recoil from a 380 is a concern? It is less than a 9mm and more than a 22LR. More than shooting 38specials through an all steel revolver.

Purpose of a 380 is for the most part is for personal protection and deeper concealment. Shooting range for business purposes is ~21ft or less and very generous target size. Generally shot very quickly, as in point shooting. The tiny 380's such as kel-tech are about as light and small as they get and recoil is very managable even with only 2 fingers on the grip.

There are larger 380's that are actually fun for plinking. One is the Glock 42. I am sure there are others and probably the Browning/1911 platform fit that bill as well.

Now a days, they are making 40s&w semis the same size as the Kahr 9mm mentioned above. You give up one round in the magazine for the benefit of a caliber , bullet wt, that is half again as big as the common 9mm,,, both about the same velocity. Both 9mm/40 have grips that you can only get two fingers on with the smallest profile.

A lot of good choices out there for PP. but gosh,,, recoil from a 380 a concern?

I took some time and tracked down the article that was the source of my recollection. As does happen from time to time, my memory on the topic wasn't quite correct. The discussion was about the .380 (and other smaller rounds) in their larger platforms for people who are recoil sensitive, due to age, infirmity or other reasons. In those situations the smaller, lighter platforms you describe were seen as problematic, understandably so. It makes much more sense now, as I was trying to recall how it was that recoil of the .380 could be problematic.

I didn't recall the Bersa I fired some years back being a problem, but I was firing a friend's along with the .40 S&W I owned at the time.

I subscribe to Hickok45's channel on youtube, but I missed that one. I'll need to sit down and watch it fully when I have time, thanks.

Why did I expect to hear this at the opening?

:D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived