SASS Wire Forum

Col. Jack Broughton, RIP

The Viet Nam air war was the most criminally micro/mismanaged one in U.S. military history! (Although the attempted rescue of the Iran hostages comes in as a close second due to its smaller size). LBJ and Robert MacNamara imposed such stupid restrictions that cost aircrews' lives! For example, (according to Col. Broughton, in "Thud Ridge", et al), the flights on Route Pack 6 were such that about all the NVA anti-aircraft gunners had to do was look at their watches, and shoot! Same route, same time, each and every day! No shooting at NVA aircraft on the ground (you might kill a Russian!!!). :angry::angry::angry:

:FlagAm: Rest In Peace, Colonel. Thank you for your service and sacrifice!

Don't even get me started on the stupid ROE from the Viet Nam "Air War". To call it a war is really stretching it. Being a Marine, most of my missions were close air support, wherein we had good valid targets and very few ROE other than kill the bastards, as many and as often as possible. BUT we were also tasked with many interdiction type missions where mostly the only legal allowed targets were "trees in the open".

I was a green boot in 69, but it didn't take me long to realize that the art of war that I had been learning since the summer of 61 was being violated every day of my time there. I learned real quickly that LBJ and McNamara had 3 strategies: Build and tabulate as many statistical tables as they could, don't piss off the Chinese, don't piss off the Russians. If it meant that American airman might die to accomplish any of those, then so be it.

PF

I wasn't there. But I personally feel like they can take their ROE and put them where the sun

doesn't shine. If you don't plan to win the fight, stay home and shut up. Now I will put up

a happy face. :)

Archived