SASS Wire Forum

deer feeder and camera stolen

Trigger Mike

I set up a deer feeder 200 yards off the power line which is also mine 5 acres in each direction and along with just taking the feeder out of the box I also put a brand new rechargeable battery and 100 pounds of corn and solar panel and put a camera 20 feet away in the woods to watch it. the next day I was cutting the power line grass and went to see how the feeder was doing and it was gone and my corn on the ground. What can I do to prevent it? The fence on one end of the power line is down so I could put barbed wire and lock the gate up there as well.

I wonder what they were doing there in order to discover the feeder and camera. Reminds me of when my brother lived in Columbus. The company had a lease but someone kept cutting the lock and chain to the gate and they were poachers. That is until the person or persons got their 4wd stuck in a ditch and couldn't get it out. I hope you find out who is doing this and hopefully recover your property.

Horace

Sorry to hear that happened. Hard to prevent thieves and trespassers. They're all basically cowards, but when you do catch them, it don't hurt to be casually carrying a shotgun. I suggest multiple, well-hidden game cameras or video system, tied into a wireless router, saving data onto an old, dedicated computer. Fences and No Trespassing signs do help. I found a noticeable positive decline in trespasser coming in from the West side of my place when, in the white blank area on the No Trespassing signs, I printed with a black marker, "Armed Response". Did you file a report with the police or sheriff?

it is amazing what it takes to scare a deer at night!! I hunt with nuisance permits at night, what have I larned? Deer at STUPID at night.

just my 2 cents and I hope u find yur stuff and those responsible!!

If you are not fully prepared for a fire fight be careful who you approach out in the woods. 2 or more thieves vs 1 landowner can get real ugly very fast. My Aunt and Uncle have property way off the beaten path in the Ozarks and ran a little general store. Heard a lot of stories about people with sticky fingers. Sometimes people up to no good leave peaceably and sometimes they don't. You may or may not see all parties involved until it is too late. Meth heads are unpredictable to say the least and I wouldn't want to confront a group of them alone. Hiking and hunting has become dangerous because of the possibility of stumbling on one of their operations.

With the advent of game cameras if is much safer to record them and let the local LEOs handle it. With cameras that upload their pictures via cellular, even if they take the camera you will still have the picture.

it is amazing what it takes to scare a deer at night!! I hunt with nuisance permits at night, what have I larned? Deer at STUPID at night.

just my 2 cents and I hope u find yur stuff and those responsible!!

Deer are stupid, if they hear a loud noise (gunshot) they will run off, but if you miss they will come right back once they realize it didnt hurt them.

After thinking about this a bit it sounds like the thief is someone who knows you.

This happened the very evening of the day you installed the feeder

The thief knew there was a camera installed nearby

If the theft occurred in daylight the thief knew when to come.

You may have some on-site evidence you didn't tell us or that is still out there to discover. Hope you find out who took it. I wound up confronting a nest of meth freaks renting on the property next to mine and trying to steal from my outbuildings at night....fortunately, it didn't go well for them, but it could have gone bad for me. Anyway, be careful.

may be right. I do know a while back I confronted a group on 4 wheelers and was polite and told them the owed line belongs to me. One of them disagreed and said a cop told him power lines are public property. I let it go but then a few months later an electrician installed a generator and the same guy came as his helper. He started the argument again about it being public property. I told him not so, I paid for that land and I pay taxes on it every year, thus it is mine.

I bought 226 in fencing last night and will also gather the railroad ties scattered all over the woods and put up a barrier and lock the gate. the power company told me they will put their lock on mine so they can get in as well. Cabelas is sending me the cameras so hopefully soon we can convict.

rail road ties are heavy. :( I figure to stack rail road ties across the areas the fence has fallen thru and then work on the fence. I locked the gate with a metal cable from tractor supply and a master lock. I am thinking of getting a thermal optic to see better at night into the woods to tell if they are there but do not know which is the best kind.

You need to know when something might be happening. Something I plan to buy for a rural property I am looking at: http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/index.php?cPath=36

The radio alert should get your attention, and if you can see someone out on your property call the law before you confront them. Use caution, while some of them are just light fingered and prone to help themselves to property that doesn't belong to them, they can still be dangerous when cornered. A dozen caltrops AKA tire spikes could assist in capturing the thieves, just don't forget where ya put em!

Just a thought....

Find & post signs with:

the statute that explains that it is your property, not public, & what trespassing is,

the power company easement & rights for their use,

& penalty & or fines for violating those statues.

Good luck in your struggle.

rail road ties are heavy. :( I figure to stack rail road ties across the areas the fence has fallen thru and then work on the fence. I locked the gate with a metal cable from tractor supply and a master lock. I am thinking of getting a thermal optic to see better at night into the woods to tell if they are there but do not know which is the best kind.

If you put a cable on your gate then get a better lock.Master locks have a spring loaded bolt and take like 5 seconds to open it, so if you are going to put a cable on your gate get a dead bolt lock that is the lock where you need the key to open and close the lock

You need to know when something might be happening. Something I plan to buy for a rural property I am looking at: http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/index.php?cPath=36

The radio alert should get your attention, and if you can see someone out on your property call the law before you confront them. Use caution, while some of them are just light fingered and prone to help themselves to property that doesn't belong to them, they can still be dangerous when cornered. A dozen caltrops AKA tire spikes could assist in capturing the thieves, just don't forget where ya put em!

When 4 wheelers became popular a lot of farmers where I grew up had a lot problems with them trespassing and tearing up the land. One problem was that it was popular to ride along the outside of the property fences between the fence and the road. In a short period of time they killed the grass and then when it rained the tracks eroded and turned into ditches. After a couple of years the erosion was taking out the fences. Lots of things were tried but the best one was to take old blades from a sickle bar mower like these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sickle-section-s20-5246cl-pack-of-10?cm_vc=-10005 and nail them to the larger tree roots where they were riding. Run over one and bye bye tire. No way to repair a gash that big. However if someone stepped on it it wouldn't do any real damage to their shoes. Yahoo's on 4 wheelers/ATVs caught on really fast that riding where they were not wanted was expensive.

Any farmer or farm equipment dealer that has a sickle bar mower probably has all you could ever want just laying around. Way cheaper than caltrops and as long as you remember where you put them you can avoid running over them. Unlike caltrops the blades stay where you put them

Probably doesn't matter too much what type of lock you use as long as it's reasonably sturdy. Same for the gate, flexible (chain or cable) barrier. Don't make any of those items too attractive or expensive, otherwise thieves will steal those items!!!

I'm not a fan of hidden or unhidden vehicle obstacles. They are a civil or criminal prosecution against you waiting to happen.

Fence and mark your property with a large number of various "NO...(yadda yadda)" signs, alternating various versions at reasonably regular intervals, create reasonable and easily (to authorized personnel) passable entries and exits, set up hidden monitoring systems and use your weapons for self defense purposes only. Don't try to capture and hold trespassers at gunpoint or any other means unless you live in a friendly state. You should understand the basics (at least) of the law and understand the politics of your local police regarding these matters. They'll always tell you to call them first, then be slow to respond on purpose, unless you use key words in your call for assistance, because they're afaid of getting shot. They'd sooner let the trespasser escape and just take your complaint. That's how I've found it to work here. I've learned to take care of that business myself and if the trespasser/thieves are armed and want to make a go of it (most are cowards) well, okay. Personally, I've pretty much had it with trespassers and have handled dealing with them myself, making it clear that I perceive their uninvited presence as a personal, physical threat, with our lives being in danger from them, hence the shotgun.

Not a fan of hidden traps that cause damage either. I laid down rail road ties to help block their path and then put fence post by them so they can be seen. Just 4 wheeling every now and then and I was not going to really pursue stopping them. Stealing and hunting on my land is too much to have to put up with. I ordered a metal feeder from cabelas that has a ladder that I can chain to a tree. The wireless cameras are on their way. I intend to go shooting at my target more often and hunting coyotes at night more often. This is especially true now that makes are underground. I will shop for infrared to see their heat at night so no one gets hurt and I can see them better.

I think it's good you're tightening up your passive (fencing, gates, cameras. etc.) security and increasing an active presence at night. Seems from what you say that there's an ongoing presence of these trespassers on your place. Over time, if allowed to continue, they develop mentally, a sense of entitlement and a quasi sense of ownership in their "rights" to be there and steal from the property. That dramatically increases the physical threat level to you and your family. A dramatic showing on your part that the free ride is over should return immediate, positive results. If not, then I think you should personally go visit police or Sheriff's "management" employees and ask that they become involved and investigate the problem. Please keep us advised of how this goes for you.

Cat Brules

Archived