SASS Wire Forum

8 Minutes of old engine goodness.

Dorado

1909 10HP Blackstone oil engine was used for pumping water from a river to a market garden. The engine was sabotaged in the 1920s by someone blowing up the cylinder with explosives. A new cylinder was installed and the engine was returned to service for a number of years when it eventually fell into disuse. A number of river floodings submerged the engine and it was eventually partially buried in silt. It was recovered in the 1990s and in 1997 it was dismantled, cleaned and started again after many years of neglect. The starting procedure requires heating of the hot bulb with a blow lamp in order to vaporise the fuel ( kerosene ) and to preheat the internal combustion chamber to allow fuel ignition.

Gotta love the sound it makes.

That thing reminds me of an old boat on the river when I was a kid. It would just idle along with a kachunk.........kachunk........kachunk

Fellow had the block crack on it and he just patched it up with fiberglass and it was running again.

Where's Humphry Bogart when ya need him? :)

Wouldn't an OSHA inspector just lay down and die?

You know, we have some really cool whiz bang, fandango technology these days, but nothing impresses me more than seeing old machinery like that operate. We're just improving technology, those guys had to invent and make it....very cool. My wife thought I was crazy for watching 8 minutes of an old engine running haha

I'm glad y'all liked it. I love the sound of old engines. I'd like to get me an old steam automobile one day. Just love the sound of it all.

Archived