SASS Wire Forum

2015 SASS Sanctioning Structure- UPDATED

Misty Moonshine

Good Morning Everyone!

As you all know, The Single Action Shooting Society is the governing and sanctioning body for the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting Worldwide. For over 30 years, as the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting continued to gain popularity, numerous SASS Sanctioned Championships were added to the program to answer the call of shooters' demand across the country.

I am extremely proud to announce that the 2015 SASS Sanctioning Program will include the introduction of (3) three Divisional Championships, as we continue to meet the demand and celebrate the continued growth and popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting.

We are confident that we have selected the best of the best in Cowboy Action Shooting matches across the country to serve as your 3 Divisional Championship matches.

Personally, I am thrilled to be a part of this new era, where partnerships can be cultivated toward a mutual success in providing to you, the shooters, the best shooting events and programs in the world.

You can find out more about the 2015 SASS Sanctioning Structure here:

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SanctionedMatchBooklet2015FINAL.pdf

You will find that to be a very handy document, complete with all of the SASS Sanctioned match dates, locations...and even a calendar to start planning your 2015 shooting! There are a handful of State Championships that we are still finalizing, and once we do, this document (via the link above) will be updated for your use.

Forward, we move!

Misty Moonshine

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You Misty.

Will start making my plans to hit the first Central Divisional Championship.

Think this is a good thing.

Those that want to hit a big one but can not travel to EOT or WR but want something bigger now have it.

Cheatin'

All of the recent gun laws passed in Maryland only effect residents and what they can buy and how they must purchase a regulated firearm, aka handgun.

For competitors in Cowboy Action Shooting, guns must be cased (a holster is a case), unloaded and it the truck or away from the driver.

Roo

Its unfortunate that the Texas State Championship overlaps with the Central Divisional Championship. US Open is on my list of matches to attend but can't walk away from a state match hosted at my home club. Hope this doesn't spread budgets too thin and water down the other matches.

WK

Thanks!

I'm having to think over this idea and see where it will fit for me.

I wonder how the Alabama State shoot will fit in.

So many great shoots :D - so little time :(

Should be great! A little nit-pic though....the Regional list of shoots doesn't show Hawaii in the Western Region.

Never gonna please everybody, and I look fed to seeing how this turns out but AZ state shoot is listed as the same weekend as the western divisional championship. Puts shooters in a position where they have to choose, also means the "state champs" won't be at the divisional match

A couple of minor nits: The MD State match shows it as June in the state list; August on the calendar.

The WV State match is listed as being held in Burlington (the TG's location) instead of Berkeley Springs. Perhaps it will be held on Twins farm!

I mentioned something like this to the Judge a couple of years ago. I'm glad it has seen fruition. I hope I can make the eastern divisional next year. I've heard that is a great match.

BTW, I like the calendar,Misty.

Had a Regional shoot across the street from my house, in Cheyenne WY. Now we're supposed to drive 1000 miles to liberal Washington state, then drive 1300 miles to a Divisional shoot in liberal California. I don't think there will be many takers from my area.

Woohoo!

I have a date correction for the Iowa State Championship hosted by the Fort Des Moines Rangers. It will be held September 4,5,6, 2015. And we are looking forward to it. hope to see many smiling faces there.

PitMule

Looks like a lot of thought, energy and effort went into this planning. I plan national, regional and state programs in my non-cowboy life and know the challenges, including the inevitability of schedules that sometimes require those being served to make a tough choice. My sincere appreciation. I will see how much of this I can take in--if only I could shed my distracting job and go Cowboy 24/7.

Hi everyone!

There were several date changes, typos, and corrections that had to be made....ok, maybe more than "several"....like, dozens!

I think I have ALL of the corrections in now, so check that link again.

There are still a few "TBA" state matches, please check back for those too. I will continue to update it along the way, and I will post when a complete document is posted.

Thanks for all the great feedback- its been a labor of love!!

Misty

Had a Regional shoot across the street from my house, in Cheyenne WY. Now we're supposed to drive 1000 miles to liberal Washington state, then drive 1300 miles to a Divisional shoot in liberal California. I don't think there will be many takers from my area.

Assassin,

I'd certainly support your local shoot first.

I'd also assure you that I am of your politcal persuasion, and likely to the right of you. That said, except for SF, LA and within 3mi of the coast, Cali is conservative. We also probably have 5 times the number conservatives you have in WY. Please do not write all of us off to the morons (confused voters) in the big cities - we need support to help fight them off. Remember SASS was born in Cali!

We'd certainly like to shoot with you pards!

Harvey

I like the concept and expect the scheduling challenges will work themselves out more as we get into this- it is a bit like a Rubic's cube to coordinate - thanks Misty!

Assassin,

I'd certainly support your local shoot first.

I'd also assure you that I am of your politcal persuasion, and likely to the right of you. That said, except for SF, LA and within 3mi of the coast, Cali is conservative. We also probably have 5 times the number conservatives you have in WY. Please do not write all of us off to the morons (confused voters) in the big cities - we need support to help fight them off. Remember SASS was born in Cali!

We'd certainly like to shoot with you pards!

Harvey

I like the concept and expect the scheduling challenges will work themselves out more as we get into this- it is a bit like a Rubic's cube to coordinate - thanks Misty!

HM, forgive me if I came across as insulting to you and fellow conservative Californians and Washingtonians. I refuse to spend my hard earned dollars in a state with a government that is on the other end of the spectrum from my way of thinking. I have been to Norco and shot EOT a couple times. We did not feel very comfortable with our guns while traveling in CA.

Well gosh darn-it...still overlaps with our SASS Texas State Championship...

I obviously won't be shooting the Divisional this year...

Too bad the Divisional can't be the following weekend...

Oh well...

Phantom

There are always going to be date conflicts especially with a new format. It just can't be avoided. We'll all have to pick our spots. Here in the Midwest, the Sparta IL facility for a Divisional is a great choice.

I, too, miss the High Plains Regional in Cheyenne aka Hell On Wheels. It's too bad that whole thing became a witches cauldron of small organizational politics and petty personal bickering.

From my viewpoint, this kind of major sanctioning change is a welcome move by WB. Now....can we just get a RO anointed team to crunch out a single rule book?

HM, forgive me if I came across as insulting to you and fellow conservative Californians and Washingtonians. I refuse to spend my hard earned dollars in a state with a government that is on the other end of the spectrum from my way of thinking. I have been to Norco and shot EOT a couple times. We did not feel very comfortable with our guns while traveling in CA.

Assassin,

I understand, and had similar thoughts about the Trap Shooting Grand American Championship that was moved to Illinois (Sparta) - I shoot Trap, too.

Then I thought about the folks that are putting on these events and getting the most of our $ are gun folks and not the slim majority of voters that put the economically challenged politicals in place in their states. THESE folks are the hard working backbone of the nation at the small business level, and most of our shooters are the same - and we are all fighting the anti's!! :excl:

My solution was to minimize my non-shooting $ while in the state (and theri state taxes) and maximize my $ with the shooting groups and the vendors that support them.

BTW, Cali laws on transporting firearms are pretty aligned federal and the majority of states - nothing like NY. I feel no tension transporting mine, and also have a CCW - readily availible in most of CA.

Regards,

Harvey

WHo will make it to the Grand after I retire (and spend little in IL, except for 2nd Ammendment busnesses).

Requesting a clearification on something.

On Page 3 of the referenced document, it states that

Each State Championship declares two (2) Overall Winners (Male & Female).
The Regional Championships honor free entries to the two (2) Overall Winners from the states in their Region.
The Divisional Championships honor free entries to the two (2) Overall Winners from the regions in their Division.
The National Championship honors free entries to the two (2) Overall Winners from each of the three (3) Divisions.
The World Championship honors a free entry to each Category Champion at the National Level and the two Overall National Champions.

The way I read this, there is no requirement that the Overall Winners reside in the State, Region, Division, etc, in which they win, only that they win. For example, someone who resides in the new NorthEast Region could go to the MidEast Regional and become the Overall Winner for that match and thus gain a free entry to the Eastern Divisional. Was this the desired interpretion? Just Curious. (And no, I have absolutly no delusions of winning anything, I just like to understand the rules of the game!)

If I lived in western Indiana, Kentucky, Tenn. and had to travel all the way to Maryland I'd be pretty unhappy. Why can't we cross into the closest division?

After studying the map and speaking with others the restructuring is still catering to the retired. Those of us that are still working can't frequent additional shooting events that are even further away.

The Regional Championships honor free entries to the two (2) Overall Winners from the states in their Region.

The Divisional Championships honor free entries to the two (2) Overall Winners from the regions in their Division.

The National Championship honors free entries to the two (2) Overall Winners from each of the three (3) Divisions.

The World Championship honors a free entry to each Category Champion at the National Level and the two Overall National Champions.

The way I read this, there is no requirement that the Overall Winners reside in the State, Region, Division, etc, in which they win, only that they win. For example, someone who resides in the new NorthEast Region could go to the MidEast Regional and become the Overall Winner for that match and thus gain a free entry to the Eastern Divisional. Was this the desired interpretion? Just Curious. (And no, I have absolutly no delusions of winning anything, I just like to understand the rules of the game!)

Read the fine print where each region and the next page where each division is defined. On must shoot in ones own region or division.

I know it is difficult to figure out dates that work for everybody, but our Texas State match has been approved for April 30-May 3 2015 since this summer. I can't see how it is appropriate to schedule the SASS Divisional Match for the Central Division (which includes Texas) on the same weekend as the Texas State match. I get it when the California State Match is the same date as ours--different shooters, different regions--but I don't get it when the Division that includes our state chooses a date that conflicts with a state match from a state in that division. Nobody called us or let us know that this was going to be an issue. We have to find out about it on the Wire.

I sympathize with the club that is hosting the Divisional--I am sure that they have their own scheduling issues. But we were there first.

I hate to see a Texas State match like ours at Plum Creek suffer because of this. If we had scheduled our match after this Divisional schedule came out we couldn't complain, but we scheduled it before this. We have followed the SASS rules, got sanctioned by SASS, got approval from SASS for our dates, and after the fact we get this conflict-from SASS. Now Texas shooters are forced by SASS to choose. Doesn't seem fair.

It doesn't have to be this way. I hope SASS will re-consider those dates for the Central Divisional. Can you tweak the schedule a little more to avoid this injustice?

Dragon Hill Dave

President, Plum Creek Shooting Society

Home of the 2015 SASS Texas State Championship.

I appreciate the effort that went into this and believe that Some of the scheduling problems will be worked out over time. But there is only so many weekends to put all of these matches on. Not being overly familiar with all of the regional groups I have a question. Did any other regions get dismantled and split between existing regionals? Our new regional is GOA. We have shot that match and thought it was great. But now our regional is a distance that we might not be able to go to every year like we have with Mason Dixon. Ok so now our eastern divisional is Mason Dixon. Well at the end of the day for us there is no Additional shoot. I would have liked to see our region stay intact and someone else pick up the regional shoot. Second question. Was there any effort in finding a new host for the North East Regional before breaking up the region ? If our regional was picked up then we would have a new shoot on the calendar and that would have been perfect. Well that's my story and I'm just hopeing GOA has room for all of us. Also I'm hopeing LOTS of people we have shot with up and down the eastern shore spend a few days in Maryland next October. That would make it all worth while.

Read the fine print where each region and the next page where each division is defined. On must shoot in ones own region or division.

That is how it was always defined in the past. To be, for example, the Maryland State Champion, you had to live in Maryland. However, there was also an "Overall Winner" who may (or may not) have been a resident of Maryland. Strictly by the wording included above, the "Overall Winner" would gain the entry to the Regional, etc, regardless of their state of residence.

While I personally agree with your interpretation, and believe that was the intent, that is not how it reads, at least to me. I would like to have seen a blanket statement defining the requirement to be from the state, region, etc. Maybe it exists in one of the Handbooks, I will have to look.

There were several date changes, typos, and corrections that had to be made....

The Great State of New Jersey, the 9th State to join the Union ... casts one Vote of Thanks to Misty Moonshine for adding our State Match to the calendar! Thank You Kindly!

Most Wanted,

Yes, several other regionals got split up. Comin' At Ya is no longer (whether a direct result of this or not, I don't know). Also, someone mentioned the High Plains Regional as being gone. I seem to recall some talk that the regions were selected to balance the population of shooters as much as possible, but that may just be a figment of my overly tired mind.

DD

Well gosh darn-it...still overlaps with our SASS Texas State Championship...

I obviously won't be shooting the Divisional this year...

Too bad the Divisional can't be the following weekend...

Oh well...

Phantom

+1

Laz

Archived