SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss in a Dillon 650

Swift Stoney 49735

I am just about out of TiteGroup and will be switching to either Promo or Trail Boss for my 38 reloading. I am inclined to use Promo since it loads pretty much like Red Dot but I have a lot of Trail Boss and would like to use it up. The problem is that whenever I have tried to load Trail Boss in my 650, I get powder charges all over the spectrum. Does Dillon have a different charge bar I should be using or should I just give them a call for advice?

My experience with Trail Boss and Dillons is that you need to operate it a little slower and a LOT smoother than normal. I have used about 35-40 pounds of TB in Dillons since 2005. As long as you're smooth and consistent, it doesn't spill and drops consistent charges.

Any cheap diaphragm air pump will provide enough vibration to help even out the loads. I just sit mine on top of my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure, I'm sure you can find a way to use it with the Dillon.

Using it I even get +- 0.1g loads with 700-X

I am using the small charge bar due to my dispensing loads for the 38 spl using TiteGroup. I have also used a aquarium pump as an agitator on my powder funnel with limited success. Looks like I need to call Dillon regarding my charge bar and investigate eBay for some aftermarket help.

Thanks fellow for the advice. In these days of powder shortages I guess we are all scrambling to load whatever powder we can find.

Another option is to put an inexpensive LEE powder measure on your press.

It measures and dumps the powder vertically and quite accurately.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537685/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure

Does your powder measure have a baffle in it? Do you keep it at least 1/3rd full? I load Trail boss on a SDB which uses the same powder measure as all the other Dillon's with no issues but I do have the latest updated powder measure. I use the small charge bar that came with the machine.

Trailboss is very sensitive to excessive case volume.

If you want to load the bare minimum charge you have to calculate the case volume based on the bullet you are using. Using the published minimum loads with a bullet of a different style, even if it is the same weight will change the case volume and can cause erratic behavior if the case volume is too great.

Use the info here to work up a load. http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I load TB through my 550 using the large bar. measures very consistant

I used to have the problem of TB spilling onto the shellplate until I added a thrust bearing under the shellplate bolt. A few places sell them but I found the parts at McMaster Carr for about $5 or so. Now I still get an occasional flake, but it is so much better.

Archived