SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 CB extraction problem

Badlands Bob #61228

I've got a backup rifle that is a Marlin 1894 CB in 357. This gun rarely gets shot so it's no where near worn out. It was slicked up by a local gunsmith about 10 years ago and spent most of it's life in a dark gun safe. The problem I'm having is with extracting the spent shell case. If you work the lever fast, everything works fine. However, if you work the lever slowly, the spent casing often falls off the carrier prior to reaching the ejector and falls down into the action causing major problems. I know, just work the lever fast. My question is, can I just replace the extractor and spring? Does it require special tuning or is it just a drop in part? Where's the best place to get a extractor and spring if that seems to be the problem?

Having a gun that's not fully functional just irritates me.

Badlands Bob

It could be the extractor spring has lost some tension. You could try removing the extractor and bending the spring to give it more tension and re-try it. Sounds like it's not holding the fired case on the bolt tight enough. Did the gunsmith that did the work remove or shorten the little tabs on the face of the bolt?

Howdy BOB.

I agree with Doc Fill'em.

Did you have this same problem BEFORE you parked it in your safe?

A couple quick thoughts come to my mind:

1. your Extractor spring has broken or somehow come dislodged from its pinched groove in the Extractor body, therefore having no tension on it.

2. has someone removed the bolt 'tip' that is located below the Extractor. Its o.k. to remove these tips but in most cases, the Extractor needs to be tuned to perform its function better.

3. If your bolt face isn't center to your chamber, during the extraction process the misalignment can cause the empty case to pull out from under the Extractor and fall off the bolt face. This is a very unlikely cause, but I have encountered it before.

4. There is a good possibility that everything is o.k., but your Extractor just needs to be tweaked (and cleaned) alittle.....especially since it hasn't been used in 10 years.

..........Widder

I highly recommend a new extractor from Slick McClade.

Extractor Marlin 1894 Sure Claw

This replacement extractor is made in the USA of only the best spring steel. Unlike the "factory" two - piece, our extractor comes as one solid unit. These come fully tuned ready for drop in with NO fitting. These fit all pistol caliber 1894 rifles.

Thanks for the advise. I figured it was probably the extractor/spring. I don't know if the little tabs were removed or shortened. I'll look at that. I'll take it apart tonight and maybe order a new super duper extractor from Slick McClade if nothing is an obvious fix.

Thanks for the advise. I figured it was probably the extractor/spring. I don't know if the little tabs were removed or shortened. I'll look at that. I'll take it apart tonight and maybe order a new super duper extractor from Slick McClade if nothing is an obvious fix.

Operator error...see other recent post by Hank regarding feminine flinging of the lever.

Since I use a 73 as my main rifle, I don't know all the ways of the Marlin. I figured I would ask the experts before diving in with a dremel tool. As it turns out all I need to fix it is a credit card and Slick McClades website. :D

The extractor could also be dirty.

I drive the pin out of the bolt and remove the extractor to clean the hole out when it gets too cruddy, or after shooting black powder. Too much junk in there could impede it's ability to hold the shell on the bolt face.

yes i had some residue under mine and simply took a bit of extra time spraying some CLP and using a dental pick to be sure it was clean

might be a simple cleaning

Last night I took the rifle completely apart. Yes, I'd forgotten how many little part are in that rifle. Anyway, I cleaned everything real good. All the tips are still on the bolt. There was some gunk built up between the bolt and the extractor. The extractor spring also looked like it was too parallel to the extractor so I bent it out a bit. The tip of the extractor was a bit rounded off and polished. Probably from the gunsmithing action job years ago. I put it all back to together and it works better but still not like I'd expect. I ordered a new extractor from Sick McClade. Hopefully that will put the final fix on it.

I'll let you know. Thanks for all the advise.

Badlands Bob

THX for the info.

Please let us know how the new extractor works.

BTW: I have my best results with 'lite' extractor spring tension. The extractor needs to move around easily as the case-head slides into place on to the boltface.

LG

Archived