SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss in 38 Special

Desert Pete SASS #42168

Trail Boss should, at the absolute maximum, just touch the base of the bullet once it is seated with NO compression. This load will be safe in pretty much any caliber according to the info on their website.

But under no circumstances should Trail Boss be compressed. That can be dangerous.

Even a "maximum Trail Boss" load will be pretty mild compared to other powders. I usually load to the light end anyway, but if I do want "max" load with the powder, I still tend to back of a couple of points of a grain, just to make sure I've not got any chance of compression.

Trail Boss should, at the absolute maximum, just touch the base of the bullet once it is seated with NO compression. This load will be safe in pretty much any caliber according to the info on their website.

But under no circumstances should Trail Boss be compressed. That can be dangerous.

Even a "maximum Trail Boss" load will be pretty mild compared to other powders. I usually load to the light end anyway, but if I do want "max" load with the powder, I still tend to back of a couple of points of a grain, just to make sure I've not got any chance of compression.

What HK said!

Laz

I shoot a 105 grain .38 special. At 3.0 grains I had problems. Upped it to 4.0 grains and now my only problem is accuracy.

What ere your problems KK?

EC

yadda yadda.....

Hey, folks, remember, no load information on the Wire!

Laz

cuddn't hep it! yu gotta tell a story to get around it,,,, like, I was a trail boss wunce, had three cowboys but thit twernt enuff to git tha job dun, had to use 4 cowboys

Cheyenne...if u waz to hire tu many cowboys u could blow-up the Chuckwagun...be not hiring ta many r u wil not eat... Jim

If you are using a Dillon, make sure you have the super small charge bar with light loads. Around 3.o grains. Does not come with the press. Call Dillon.

I shoot a 105 grain .38 special. At 3.0 grains I had problems. Upped it to 4.0 grains and now my only problem is accuracy.

Trail Boss is very case volume sensitive Work up your Trail Boss loads using the procedures here. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20Boss%20Reduced%20Loads%20R&P.pdf

Using published minimums but with a different bullet weight, profile or OAL will cause the issues you were having.

Archived