SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2015, It's Coming Fast!

I'm going to try and make it back next year as I think I'm going to shoot my wish list next year. But, life has thrown kinks in to every year so far. Cruces, tombstone cowtown and WR a Fe months of great shooting I just got to get in shap so I can shoot two big matches in Consective weekends, now it takes me a week plus to recove from one day of shooting.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Winter Range Board met again on Wednesday night. With shooting taking place over seven days and stretching from the trap and field ranges in the west to the long range ranges in the east and with many events taking place on the same range but at different times and days the schedule is complex. Everyone went through the schedules, where they fit in and final checklists were checked and rechecked. The main tent starts going up next Friday, February 6, followed by the vendor village. Last week and continuing this week the awards have been pouring in. The Blue Ridge Ranger's house is starting to look like the gathering of a miniature army.

P1300083_zpsun6skmqh.jpg

P1300080_zps3ppojea4.jpg
P1300064_zpspdfyhli3.jpg
Boxes of walnut bases are showing up and each has to be hand stained and finished.
P1300085_zpsdswltlee.jpg
P1300095_zps2kommh8y.jpg
The metal plates identifying the categories are being made and then the statutes, bases and nameplates have to be assembled. Here is one of the first place Remington bronzes sitting on its unfinished base.
P1300092_zpsfj7mn1by.jpg
If you have been sitting on the fence there is still time to submit your application. Sign up, you may take one of these home with you!

Five or six years ago the largest category was senior. Then it moved to silver senior. This year the far and away largest category is Elder Statesman. (With silver senior and senior tied for a fairly distant second.)

Larsen, the rider on horse back is for first place in each shooting category? Are the standing cowboys top 5 or what? Are the same awards going to be given for costumes awards?

BTW, dang nice stuff there!

Larsen, the rider on horse back is for first place in each shooting category? Are the standing cowboys top 5 or what? Are the same awards going to be given for costumes awards?

BTW, dang nice stuff there!

1st place in each CAS category gets a Remington bronze and a gold and silver buckle. 2nd through 5th gets a Garmin statue and a bronze buckle. 6th through 10th get bronze buckles. The Wild Bunch awards are styled for Wild Bunch. I can't remember what the costume contest winners get right now.

1st place in each CAS category gets a Remington bronze and a gold and silver buckle. 2nd through 5th gets a Garmin statue and a bronze buckle. 6th through 10th get bronze buckles. The Wild Bunch awards are styled for Wild Bunch. I can't remember what the costume contest winners get right now.

Nice!

They've always done a very nice job with the awards!!!!

If you haven't figured it out, the Blue Ridge Ranger is the "awards guy" and his wife, Donna, is very tolerant to have the entire house full of awards and parts for awards. :)

As Larsen said, looks like the house is full of a miniature army. :lol:

I'm shooter #25 this year. In 2016 I try to be # 10. I will be there it's a goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got around to loading the main match ammo yesterday. 300 rds 44 mag with an extra 50 of 44 spec for pistol only. Just in case I decide to try the RNVs have 250 45 Colt loaded as well. Should have my Bucky O'Neill long range loads figured out by Friday.

Might be fun to try to develop a load that will hit at both 100 and 200 using the 03 battle sight that is set for something like 450 yards using GI ball. It is too bad I am not smart enough to figure out the velocity needed to be within 6 inches of point of aim at both ranges given the sight heights for the front and rear sights of the 03.

Good news!!! my wife's treatments won't interfere with WR.

she only needs two treatments and a month apart,,, first one should be the 16th.... so good news all around!!!

Sick to my gut we had to pull out this year. My son's school trumped the shoot. But the 25th anniversary sounds very doable.

You guys will be missed. But it will be there next year. Sound like he has his priorities straight.

OK. It is crunchtime. Sunny and 81 today with clear blue skys. The main tent started going up on Friday, February 6, and eveything now kicks into high gear. A year of planning and building and everything comes together in next couple of weeks. Today was the last day of fabrication. Everything that is not done now will get completed on the firing line. For the first time the tipple was given a test fitting. The big wheel goes on top. Next a section of the bottom gets attached. Then the tipple gets tipped. The main section standing upright for the first time and a view of what the final buidling should look like. The windows are shooting postions.

P1010283_zpsvuai7ink.jpg

P1010296_zpszlseppwc.jpg
P1010297_zpsuf0zvlds.jpg
P1010298_zpszbxvzhqy.jpg
P1010308_zpsu6qw71eb.jpg

Next up, the new chuck wagon scenario. The chuck wagon is moved so no overspray from other projects will get on it. The top bows and hardware start to be fitted. The chuckbox is finished. When fully decorated all that will be needed is Wishbone from Rawhide doing the cooking.

P1010279_zpsp0tsguoa.jpg

P1010287_zpsmtmnz6mc.jpg
P1010313_zpsxjo1ouz3.jpg

Even simple things take hours and a lot of manpower. Here some new flooring for one of the tents is assembled. Then it is placed on the ground and preped for stain and wood finish. Finally, a cheerful volunteer suits up in the noonday heat to apply the finish. On the other side of the yard a group finishes the dozens of window inserts that will go into various props or vendor buildings.

P1010312_zps57swsmlk.jpg

P1010342_zps7hkcbvie.jpg
P1010327_zps44k9scfp.jpg
P1010316_zpsjqcvxagc.jpg

Ben Avery is a BUSY range especially at this time of the year. While Winter Range was finalizing preparations for the biggest cowboy shoot in the world, there were two other major matches going on today. The main tent is partially up but is surrounded by cars from shooting events taking place this weekend. The vendor village is started but no more progress can be made until next week when there are few sheduled events during the weekdays. While we were painting the Saloon and other props there was a match going on in many of the "practical pistol" bays (Winter Range stages 5 through 12). Over in what will be Winter Range stages 1 through 4 a silhouette match was taking place. Starting Wednesday, February 18, Winter Range will have the majority of the ranges exclusively reserved and setup of the stages will begin. Because of the short time frame for setup (Wild Bunch starts Monday, February 23) everything has to be pre-planned and pre-packaged so that targets and props are ready to load onto trailers and moved to their respective stages. At the conclusion of the awards ceremony on Sunday, March 1, the whole process goes into reverse as the range has to be cleared by Tuesday afternoon, March 3, since an annual Black Powder championship takes over the ranges on Wednesday morning. A number of shooters normally stop by to look at the stages and when they find out that the stages are just being assembled, they wind up helping with set-up. If you are in the area come by and take a look and if you have time bring your gloves as help is always appreciated. This will probably be the last update as time is limited the next several days. Hope to see old acquaintances and meet some first timers to Winter Range. We can still accommodate some additional shooters so if you want to shoot come on out!!!

P1010332_zpsotsoisa0.jpg

P1010338_zps06dp2eld.jpg
P1010339_zpsmdhzeulx.jpg
P1010337_zpsapxoq8ii.jpg
P1010336_zpslzde5bx4.jpg

I continue to be amazed and humble by our Arizona Territorial Rangers (ATR's) and the amount of work they do with such great attitudes in preparing this match for y'all. And, with such great attitudes. They are a blessing to be able to work along side with.

Arriving early? The excitement just so great you don't know what to do with yourself? Got to get out of the RV and start your experience now? Well, grab some grubbies and work gloves, then head on over to the range to lend a hand setting up. As ours is not a permanent range, (I know it looks like it is by the time many of y'all can show up) setup begins on Weds 2/18 and continues through Sunday 2/22 making ready for Wild Bunch Monday morning. Sad it is over after awards? Well lucky you, you have yet another opportunity! You could grab those same grubbies (preferably washed) with gloves and lend a hand taking it all down and putting our toys away in anticipation of WR 2016, the 25th anniversary. Become involved.

Lookin' forward to seeing many old friends, and meeting many new friends. WR 2015 is almost here! YeeHaw!

Nine Toe Joe
Winter Range Range Master & Ranger Coordinator
May I live my life in such a way as to end up with eight men who are willing to carry one of my handles. - Jay Kesler (paraphrased)

Aunt Jen,

Contact Sunshine Kay, her email address is on the W\R website sometimes the email address gets messed up, sometimes your spam protection throws it out.

As posted earlier my son and I unfortunately had to pull out of the shoot . What blew me away is with all the hard work they are doing getting ready for the Biggest shoot in SASS they sent back our registration fee in about two weeks . I cant wait to give them my hard earned next year . What a great group of people . Thanks MW

I unearthed my loading bench tonight, topped off powder and shot in the Lee Load All, and cranked out a box of shotgun shells for the match, got a few more boxes to do and then on to the 38s for the match. Even Miz Grizz is starting to wonder if I'm going to get my loading done in time, she said 'you don't want to be out there the night before we leave loading do you?' :D

Archived