SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2015, It's Coming Fast!

It is October and the temperatures are finally down below 100. The Winter Range board meets and plans year round, but once the temps get below 100 it is time to start turning plans into props. Winter Range (WR) tries to build two or three new fronts each year and retiring the old ones. This year the first order of business after opening the five containers of props used at WR was to haul some over to Cow Town to help with the rebuilding.

IMG_0748_zps3e36155d.jpg

Had to get up on top of one of the containers to fix a wind turbine that got chopped off by a flying piece of steel that got loose during the storm that flattened Cowtown. Nice birds eye view of part of the storage yard from the top of the container. The offending sheet of steel is on the ground.

IMG_0756_zps2013bfb5.jpg

One of the two planned new fronts will be a mining tipple. Last year we created a mining camp with an animated sluice box. Tipples were used to drag the ore out of mines. This one is the same general shape as the one planned for WR.

ClarksvilleEmeraldMine_zpsca64fe8f.jpg

I will try to post pictures as the work parties progress and post notices about the non-shooting activity schedule as it is firmed up. The most notable additions to the schedule thus far are that the Swap Meet will be held on Wednesday from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm. That should let everyone finish the side matches and warm-ups and still be able to go to the Swap Meet. From 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm there will be a shooter appreciation dinner with free food and drinks. A very abbreviated opening ceremony will take place after (during) the Swap Meet at 7:00 pm. The Doily Gang will be putting on the Ladies Shooter's Clinic again this year. The guys kind of felt left out so Deuce Stevens will be presenting a shooter's clinic for the guys. Details to follow. Several of the WR board are going to Bordertown and I am planning on going to Comin at Cha so it may be a few days before more updates are posted. It takes over 100 volunteers to run WR on side match day so I am looking for volunteers. If you are going to Bordertown or Comin at Cha let me know if you are interested and I'll take down your name and contact information. I'll also post a request for help on the wire when I get back. WR 2015 is shaping up to be the biggest and best yet. 2016 is WR's twenty fifth anniversary. The planning for 2016 has already begun and it will be an event to remember. Thanks to everyone that supports WR and I will be seeing many of you soon.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sent my app out yesturdey!!

Larsen, thanks ahead of time for all the hard work!!!!! looking forwert tu et agin!!

If we can get the house sold I might be able to make it!!!

Your on many 'lists'------ :lol::lol:

I understand that WR will be install'n crosswalks just for YOU. :D:P

LG

and a backhoe on standby!!!! har!!!!

Yep can't wait..everything that's got to be done, has been done. Now less than 100 days, looking forward to what most are saying is a great shoot..bring it on !!!!

• 1 month later...

Winter Range is coming fast and the work pace is picking up. Time to post a few updates. Putting on Winter Range takes a lot of people and a lot of planning so everything can come together for the four to five days available for setup. The sun takes a heavy toll on props and our cattle herd was getting pretty thin. So time to increase the herd. One group cuts the 3/4" plywood. Another group assembles the pieces and the painters bring the critters to life.

P1010216_zps850dba9e.jpg

P1010221_zps4f200f41.jpg

P1010222_zps69265e86.jpg

In another part of the yard a full size operational chuck wagon is being built. The wagon box, chuckbox and some of the hardware were installed over the weekend. The rest of the hardware and wheels will be attached soon.

P1010224_zps41b4577d.jpg

P1010225_zps8e6587f1.jpg

Another group finishes the painting on the addition to the Registration Booth (the old one was getting crowded trying to process almost 800 shooters) and primes panels for another front.

P1010227_zps9e561e42.jpg

P1010229_zpsdf08537d.jpg

Wood is cut to precise measurements and angles and then moves over to the group assembling the pieces. The first section of the new tipple stage is partially assembled to test fit. When finished there will be a big, heavy solid cast iron wheel sitting on top and other sections added to either side to finish it.

P1010219_zps3e024d91.jpg

P1010220_zpsd1280a74.jpg

P1010237_zps87d95fe0.jpg

Meanwhile a group was sanding, power washing and applying a new layer of skid resistant paint in the saloon, fort and store. It took seven guys three days to apply the paint.

P1010194_zpsa0d4266d.jpg

IMG_0788_zps2193b096.jpg

P1010195_zps8d20a156.jpg

P1010203_zps3f6e2aad.jpg

Lots of things are going on and I'll try to provide more frequent updates now that the match is getting closer. The slots for the Doily Gang and Deuce Stevens shooting schools are limited so visit the Winter Range website and click on "Information" to find out the details on how to enroll. http://www.winterrange.com

The deadline for closing out categories is January 1, 2015. As of right now there are sufficient people signed up for all the categories except one. Ladies Frontier Cartridge Duelist. So far there is only one shooter in the category. In order to have the category there has to be at least three ladies in a category (seven for the men). So ladies, if you want to walk on the dark side make sure to get your applications in before January 1.

Registration has picked up dramatically the past two weeks so make sure to get your applications in as soon as possible to make sure you get a confirmation number for the match. Once confirmation numbers hit 792 we start a waiting list.

Looking forward to working with all of you again. Feel bad that will not be there till jan but better late than never?

The registrations are showing the trend in SASS. We are getting older. The biggest category use to be Senior. Then it was Silver Senior. This year the biggest category is Elder Statesman. Nothing else is even close.

Holy sheep squat! :o

There ain't nothin' else like this in the world. :)

Sure hope someone signs up the Blue Ridge Ranger for Deuce's shootin' clinic -- the Blue Ridge needs all the help he can get. :lol:

I heard.......

That they are going to try out a new target and sweep this year.

The targets are painted up to look like timers.

When you get ready to shoot at them they all fall down!

It is called a Philly Slim Sweep!

I heard.......

That they are going to try out a new target and sweep this year.

The targets are painted up to look like timers.

When you get ready to shoot at them they all fall down!

It is called a Philly Slim Sweep!

We tried it, but no go. They go down easy but are harder than heck to set back up.

I heard they stocked it with trout and we can fly fish it!

Archived