SASS Wire Forum

WTK: Easest way to cut shotgun hulls for roll crimping?

Mad Dog McGee

Like to know an easy and fast way to cut off shotgun hulls for roll crimping WITHOUT a lathe. I'm using a BPI Trim doctor and while it works , it's real slow. Got to be a fast and easy way to do it. Thanks Pards !

Keep the Flame AND Smoke going; BP all the way!

I make a block the thickest of the hull I wanted and drilled a hole in it and used a razor knife to cut them.

Got to be a fast and easy way to do it. Thanks Pards !

Keep the Flame AND Smoke going; BP all the way!

There is a real fast easy way to deal with shotshells for BP :huh: .......Stop all this cutting and gluing. :o Use plastic wads and standard 8 point crimp ;) So easy a caveman could do it :D

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

There is a real fast easy way to deal with shotshells for BP :huh: .......Stop all this cutting and gluing. :o Use plastic wads and standard 8 point crimp ;) So easy a caveman could do it :D

That's what I do. Easy Peasy

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

1" PVC pipe is a snug fit for the hull. Cut the pipe to trim at the fold line or slightly longer. Cut the hull with a utility knife. Skive with tool from BPI. Finish with a roll crimper from BPI.

Works for me.

AR

I believe Shotgun Boogie developed a hand-held precision tool for cutting down shotgun shells.

You'll kinda, have to Braille your way through his English/German web site to get to his product page, but.he responds quickly to email.

http://www.shotgunboogie.de

Email: info@shotgunboogie.de

Cat Brules

That's what I do. But I'm trying cut down hulls to use in my PW87 to see if I can get reliable ejection. I've shortened hulls an 1/8" and 1/4" and tried star crimping them. I have to shim up under the hull to get enough stroke to make crimp with Lee Loadall. The star crimp always come out awful. I think mostly because it tried to push past the skived area.

I've got 20 cut back 1/4" and loaded with roll crimp. I've yet to test them to see if they cycle better in the PW87.

If you have a band saw, clamp a thin board to the table so the rim of the shell just overhangs, fast and consistent.

If you have a dremel with the flex shaft attachment put a hose clamp on the handle for a stop, almost as fast and just as consistent.

With a properly cut hull my MEC jr. gives a good approximation of a roll crimp.

Warden, I bet cut down hulls with a roll crimp will help your 87's issue.

Having said all that I have shot a ton of BP shot shells that were star crimped

Hope this helps,

Smoke

The best way I have found is to use a 2x4 approx. 10" long, cut the width to 2 1/2", drill hole through the width, the dia. of the shell with drill press, place shell throught the hole, back to table saw with a finish blade or a band saw, set fence to 2 1/2" start triming. You should be able to do a bunch in a half hour.

There is a You Tube video of trimming 3-1/2"" 10 gauge hulls to 2-7/8" for reloading in older 10 gauges. Hulls are trimmed with a piece of dowel, a set screw and an exacto blade. You simply insert the dowel into the hull and rotate the top edge of the shell until the dowel bottoms out on the base of the shell. Should work equally well on 12 gauge hulls, you just need to figure out what size dowel to use.

Put the cutter in a drill press and then have it cut the hull like it was in a lathe. You'll need a block to hold the hull in position.

Is the roll crimp allowing you to get extra bp out of a hull? I assume your using an over shot cart other than the roll are you doing anything to keep the overshot card from falling out? If yo do get add reloads how many on average? You went to this because? Why not use the brass shells either the magtech or the other ones?

You can also cut the hull, load and glue a wad over the shot AKA brass hull method with no crimp.

Archived