SASS Wire Forum

Dillon advice

Oddnews SASS# 24779

My work schedule makes it difficult to get in touch with Dillon's excellent help line, and I'm hoping the Wire pards can help me sort out a problem.

I have a Dillon 650 with the case feed. Somehow I've gotten something adjusted wrong -- cases coming down the tube no longer go into the positioning slide to be fed to the rotor for priming and station advance. They simply fall over when they get to the bottom of the tube.

Clearly -- I've done something wrong, but I'm not certain what I need to do to make it right.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks in advance.

Call Dillon.They have great online help.

If the empty cases are contained within the tube, I have a problem with understanding " fall over". The only place they could fall over is at the station 1 locator, make sure that you are using the correct locator for the caliber you are using and that you have it turned so that the rails face the shell plate and the case falls on the flat.

First, check to be sure you've put the case tube on with the up-side up. And, while you're at it, make sure there's a straight line (or as near as possible) from the hopper down to the shuttle.

The case feed arm gets gunked up after 15-20 thousand rounds. It fails to go through it's full range of motion because of dirt and lack of lubrication. So, it blocks passage for cases. Disassemble the case-feed body to remove the arm. Clean and lubricate (lightly) the arm and reassemble. The surfaces that get dirty cannot be cleaned without disassembly, unfortunately. Its a simple job, however.

Check for any rough edges on the plastic pieces that attach the tube to the feeder.

If none of that helps, you're going to have to take a half-day off and talk to Dillon. But, in my experience, cleaning the case feed arm always clears up any feeding issues immediately. Jury is still out on the best thing to use for lube. A dry lube seems to offer the best potential for increasing service time between cleanings.

First, check to be sure you've put the case tube on with the up-side up. And, while you're at it, make sure there's a straight line (or as near as possible) from the hopper down to the shuttle.

The case feed arm gets gunked up after 15-20 thousand rounds. It fails to go through it's full range of motion because of dirt and lack of lubrication. So, it blocks passage for cases. Disassemble the case-feed body to remove the arm. Clean and lubricate (lightly) the arm and reassemble. The surfaces that get dirty cannot be cleaned without disassembly, unfortunately. Its a simple job, however.

Check for any rough edges on the plastic pieces that attach the tube to the feeder.

If none of that helps, you're going to have to take a half-day off and talk to Dillon. But, in my experience, cleaning the case feed arm always clears up any feeding issues immediately. Jury is still out on the best thing to use for lube. A dry lube seems to offer the best potential for increasing service time between cleanings.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think that's it. The press worked fine, until I attempted to convert it to .32-20. It turned out I didn't have the needed rotor (there is a long backstory on this -- short version it's my brother's prexss and I ended up with it as part of a trade, and didn't get the necessary rotor). When I put everything back together -- this problem emerged.

The cases go down the tube correctly, but when they enter the case feed arm, instead of locking into the station locator slide and being pushed into the rotor, they fail to do this and fall over, usually toward the center of the press.

The cases go down the tube correctly, but when they enter the case feed arm, instead of locking into the station locator slide and being pushed into the rotor, they fail to do this and fall over, usually toward the center of the press.

Are you sure you've got the correct slide in there? They are numbered on the bottom. Don't think its possible to install the shuttle track backwards -- but maybe. That track is aluminum -- or some kind of pot metal -- and seems prone to burrs and rough spots. Looking at the track and running a case head back and forth through it ought to reveal any problems quickly.

I think you are saying the case is failing to go into the shuttle track in the first place, not that it is failing to make the jump across to the case holder wheel. But, please accept the following anyway.

Seems to be a VERY small margin between a shell-holder ("rotor") that is too tight and one that is too loose.

When I've had issues with cases making the jump from the slide to the shell holder it has been due to the shell holder ("rotor") being just a little bit too loose. In this situation, the spring on the indexing ball pushes the shell holder up and causes a mis-alignment with the shuttle track.

So, open the locking screw and tighten the center carriage bolt. Seems like somewhere around an eighth of a turn away from the point where the shell holder binds works well. Don't forget to re-tighten the locking screw.

Keep us posted!

Are you sure you've got the correct slide in there? They are numbered on the bottom. Don't think its possible to install the shuttle track backwards -- but maybe. That track is aluminum -- or some kind of pot metal -- and seems prone to burrs and rough spots. Looking at the track and running a case head back and forth through it ought to reveal any problems quickly.

I think you are saying the case is failing to go into the shuttle track in the first place, not that it is failing to make the jump across to the case holder wheel. But, please accept the following anyway.

Seems to be a VERY small margin between a shell-holder ("rotor") that is too tight and one that is too loose.

When I've had issues with cases making the jump from the slide to the shell holder it has been due to the shell holder ("rotor") being just a little bit too loose. In this situation, the spring on the indexing ball pushes the shell holder up and causes a mis-alignment with the shuttle track.

So, open the locking screw and tighten the center carriage bolt. Seems like somewhere around an eighth of a turn away from the point where the shell holder binds works well. Don't forget to re-tighten the locking screw.

Keep us posted!

I know I have the correct slide, because I only have two -- and .45s won't fit in the other one at all. You're correct, they're not entering the shuttle track, which is smooth and burr free. I don't think it can be installed backward, because the "dimple" that provides for primer clearance (at the rotor end of the slide) can only go in one place.

So, I'm going astray before I ever get to the rotor and center carriage bolt, although when I get there I'll follow your advice.

Thanks again.

The correct slide or station 1 locator, is a "W", the correct shellplate is a O........ Are you sure the cases are "right side up" when they drop into the tube ?

Forgot the case feed adapter should be "blue".........

The correct slide or station 1 locator, is a "W", the correct shellplate is a O........ Are you sure the cases are "right side up" when they drop into the tube ?

That I'm certain of, as right now I'm merely dropping them in two or three cases at a time for test purposes.

Silly thought... which side of the plastic case insert slide cam is facing the feed tube, the long angle side or the short?

I'm at work and I'm not certain -- I haven't changed it, so whatever way it's facing is the way it was before (when it worked, and before I messed up however I messed up).

The casefeed arm bushing (plastic) should be green. The casefeed body bushing should be marked small. The Station1 locator slide is marked "D". These parts come with the caliber conversion kit for 32-20. Do you have a 650 manual?

Make sure you reinstalled the casefeed body bushing (metal under the casefeed arm assy).

As the case comes out of the clear tube it goes through the casefeed adapter (the part attached to the clear tube) into the casefeed arm with cafefeed arm bushing (plastic) when the arm actuates it drops the case through the casefeed arm assy then through the casefeed body bushing (screwed into the bottom of the casefeed assy). The casefeed body bushing steadies the case verticle as the platform assy lowers.

No offense intended here but what do you work 24 hours a day? You can't find 10 minutes in your day to call them? Really?

Rye :wacko:

Archived