SASS Wire Forum

Grumbling about an old "issue"

Phantom, SASS #54973

wat's the big deal, iffn us old farts wanna try to whoop some young'uns whose gonna tell us we kaint!

go have fun and relax!!!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please please please tell me how a 49er shooting in Cowboy is bullying someone.

So you stepped aside to let newbies place better, that was nice of you. Most new shooters I see are 49er by age group, do you expect all other 49ers to find another category then too?

I do have a dog in this fight, I shoot cowboy but am 49er by age. Why? I would rather be 5th in a category of 5 than 15th in a category of 17. How is this bullying?

The argument has been made that Cowboy (by age) is the only category that does not have the option to move to another age based category. That's true, so what? We're all adults here, we don't need to be spoon fed awards until we grow up.

Most matches I have made note of have 4 or 5 times, or more the number of 49ers to the number of cowboys. And if forced to shoot age groups that number would be higher.

Blastmaster, to answer your question - there was a time I would have said yes, but now my answer would be no. The age brackets give more folks a chance to play the game in the way that gives them the most enjoyment.

I think helping the new shooters build confidence in themselves instead of bullying them is best for this sport. A lot of our fastest shooters have stepped out of their categories and shoot Outrider together. This gives others a chance to do well and lets the faster shooters hone their skills against each other.

I don't think you want to shoot against some of the young shooters in Tennessee anyways. When I was there last month, they were blazing fast and one in particular was very polite.

Has the term bullying become politically silly these days or what

"""..........".........................Just sayin

This is timed shooting event how is experienced shooters shooting with less experienced shooters considered bullying in any way shape or form

So ? are the young fast shooters bullying me if I shoot cowboy?

I got it, no categories, let's do handi-caps

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Please please please tell me how a 49er shooting in Cowboy is bullying someone.

So you stepped aside to let newbies place better, that was nice of you. Most new shooters I see are 49er by age group, do you expect all other 49ers to find another category then too?

I do have a dog in this fight, I shoot cowboy but am 49er by age. Why? I would rather be 5th in a category of 5 than 15th in a category of 17. How is this bullying?

The argument has been made that Cowboy (by age) is the only category that does not have the option to move to another age based category. That's true, so what? We're all adults here, we don't need to be spoon fed awards until we grow up.

Most matches I have made note of have 4 or 5 times, or more the number of 49ers to the number of cowboys. And if forced to shoot age groups that number would be higher.

Blastmaster, to answer your question - there was a time I would have said yes, but now my answer would be no. The age brackets give more folks a chance to play the game in the way that gives them the most enjoyment.

The game is the same, shooting. The difference is the trip to the podium. Earn with honor or taking the short cut is the question. And how short is the short cut?

You are a prime example, wanting the trinket by taking the short cut, . Others have the ability to CP to get the better trinket where as, if they stayed, they would be empty handed or smaller trinket.

Grizz, I bet I know people that would give you their older trinkets if that would make you or others feel better.

A 5th place out of 5 is not Bullying.

GD , In one sentence your saying you move down to cowboy to get a 5th place finish over a 15th and then in the next you talk down about the idea of spoon feeding awards to grown ups . I must be missing something . Of course You don't care that the 49 yr old has two more categories to chose from than the 25 yr old . As I said on page one of this thread I don't think its right that the older you are the more choices you have for categories . How is that not biased . I also said it will never change .

MM , The bullying is only referring to the good shooters that move down to cherry pick from a weaker class . Mostly due to the point that the now displaced shooter didn't have the option to move to another age based category . If a new shooter is 25 and gets beat by anyone from 17 to 34 then that's his lot . But explain to the new shooter that other ages can also move down and beat on him . From someone that hasn't been doing this as long as some of you that's gonna seem wrong .

Has the term bullying become politically silly these days or what

"""..........".........................Just sayin

This is timed shooting event how is experienced shooters shooting with less experienced shooters considered bullying in any way shape or form

So ? are the young fast shooters bullying me if I shoot cowboy?

I got it, no categories, let's do handi-caps

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I don't think bullying is PC,,,, it is a fact of society and has been happening for centuries and really has no useful place in society. No doubt, it played a small/big part in some of the mass shootings/bombing in our nation(s).

I have witness two cases of bullying by a group to individual shooters at one of the clubs I shoot at. One person managed to shake it off, the other, the jury is still out. Of course, some at the club may not call it bullying and there is definitely gray area there,, five wrongs do not make a right.. So!!

All of us has experience for ourselves or someone we know, bullied.

Ignoring it isn't helpful either.

It isn't about who shoots faster, young or old, it is about taking advantage of someone to gain the silly trinket, the trip to the podium for their/your ten seconds of fame.

You still do not get it after the story you told me.

Oh well, there will be a tomorrow.

Just think, this thread is better than what is on TV. :unsure:

I realize that I'm in my own lil world, but I've never heard of any young'un complainin about some old fart dropping down and challenging him!

I thinks some just like to complain.....

and I hardly EVER git away from my own club eether..... har!!!

The game is the same, shooting. The difference is the trip to the podium. Earn with honor or taking the short cut is the question. And how short is the short cut?

You are a prime example, wanting the trinket by taking the short cut, . Others have the ability to CP to get the better trinket where as, if they stayed, they would be empty handed or smaller trinket.

Grizz, I bet I know people that would give you their older trinkets if that would make you or others fee better.

A 5th place out of 5 is not Bullying.

So this year at State, taking 5th place in Cowboy, in a field of 6 was taking a short cut. We don't all have God given ability and talent and time and money to practice, yet ya know we do like to hear our name called now and then. Awards only went thru 3rd place, so no award was lost out on by anyone. I know I'm gonna get beat, I'd rather get beat by the best, which most often is in the Cowboy category where I shoot. So how is shooting cowboy a short cut for me when I know at any match I attend that I'm already starting down a notch on the awards ladder?

I didn't choose Cowboy based on the field being short in that match, I have shot cowboy since I started this game with very few exceptions. I suppose me winning Cowboy at the monthly this past Saturday was a shortcut as well since I was the only one there, no matter that I was 3rd overall out of 30 something...I would have won any age based category I qualify for.

Bottom line is this, SASS is in the entertainment business, and we all have somewhat different ideas of what entertains us. Mandate age brackets will piss off far more people that it will please, I don't see it happening. Further, eliminating the age brackets I see having an even slimmer chance for the same reasons.

GD , In one sentence your saying you move down to cowboy to get a 5th place finish over a 15th and then in the next you talk down about the idea of spoon feeding awards to grown ups . I must be missing something . Of course You don't care that the 49 yr old has two more categories to chose from than the 25 yr old . As I said on page one of this thread I don't think its right that the older you are the more choices you have for categories . How is that not biased . I also said it will never change .

MM , The bullying is only referring to the good shooters that move down to cherry pick from a weaker class . Mostly due to the point that the now displaced shooter didn't have the option to move to another age based category . If a new shooter is 25 and gets beat by anyone from 17 to 34 then that's his lot . But explain to the new shooter that other ages can also move down and beat on him . From someone that hasn't been doing this as long as some of you that's gonna seem wrong .

Most Wanted - yes, a 5th place finish in Cowboy is more entertaining to me than 15th in 49er. See my reply to Blastmaster above, my example match only gave out awards to 3rd place. I chose to shoot cowboy when I started the game, and with very few exceptions have stayed there. The only awards I have ever received were in effect for last place in an underpopulated category, how is that hurting anyone? Yes, cowboy has no choices for other age based categories and Cattle Barron has a whole bunch, that is the way the system works, I didn't come up with it.

While I'm on my soap box, I'd like to make a point. By age alone 49er and Senior are by far the biggest categories, and if some of those folks didn't move down there often wouldn't be anyone in some of the lower age groups, or certainly not enough to meet the minimum that some matches impose.

So this year at State, taking 5th place in Cowboy, in a field of 6 was taking a short cut. We don't all have God given ability and talent and time and money to practice, yet ya know we do like to hear our name called now and then. Awards only went thru 3rd place, so no award was lost out on by anyone. I know I'm gonna get beat, I'd rather get beat by the best, which most often is in the Cowboy category where I shoot. So how is shooting cowboy a short cut for me when I know at any match I attend that I'm already starting down a notch on the awards ladder?

I didn't choose Cowboy based on the field being short in that match, I have shot cowboy since I started this game with very few exceptions. I suppose me winning Cowboy at the monthly this past Saturday was a shortcut as well since I was the only one there, no matter that I was 3rd overall out of 30 something...I would have won any age based category I qualify for.

Bottom line is this, SASS is in the entertainment business, and we all have somewhat different ideas of what entertains us. Mandate age brackets will piss off far more people that it will please, I don't see it happening. Further, eliminating the age brackets I see having an even slimmer chance for the same reasons.

Would mandating age based categories piss off as many as doing away with the modern category? I think not. Folks would still shoot regardless.

Congrats on your 3rd place overall finish. I'll take a top overall finish over a category win anytime, regardless of the category.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

When there are one or two new shooters signed up for a category and a more traveled, seasoned, experienced, or savvy shooter who generally shoots two handed moves to a one handed category, that is cherry picking.

I think Widder is good as moving to compete against more competitive competition is not a problem. If one always shoots cowboy and continues to shoot the category regardless isn't a problem either. Cruising the sign up sheet to decide a category is weird and misses the point of a shooting match. These types could just have their award mailed to them in the shooters packet, save gas, ammo, and such. It's just so weird to category shop.

I know folks hate to have their category rolled up into another but at times this might make shopping a lot tougher at some matches? Hard to say I guess

GD

So let's just say for grins I am 42 again and I shoot against a 65 year old cowboy and that fellow places better than me

I would not go home and grumble on the wire, that that old man bullied me out of a trinket, belt buckle or a walk to a podium

I would go home and work on improving my shooting and competitive skills

Wait, I just had a MADD thought, that is exactly what I did when I started shooting CAS, improved my skills no matter what age everyone else was and let the chips fall where they did

What is happening in our world these days,

JUMPIN' JEHOSEPHATS!!!! We have met the enemy, and they is us! What a crock? Changing categories to compete against a younger pard? So what? I rarely shoot in the same category as ANYONE else (Frontiersman), and I can tell ya to the rank point or any fraction of time you might choose, how I fared against anyone else in the match! Hell's bells, I get freakin' embarrassed when I'm the only one and call me out as the "winner"! Ya, like havin' a goal to complete a stage in 60 seconds flat (that's EVERY stage, every match) often puts me dead last in the overall... Why sometimes I get real lucky and beat a buckaroo or buckerette... Oh yeah, that makes me feel real spectacular!

When I started, I can't recall that we even had a "Senior" category... didn't matter what age you were, you were either male, female, Jr., Traditional, Modern or shooting a Cap n' Ball! Some major cryin' and whinin' went on and look where we end up... whinin' and cryin' because folks choose NOT to shoot in the age group!

The more things change, the more they stay the same... whinin' and cryin' Why y'all are tender'n a bunch of pollywogs just before they kiss the babys belly and swear fealty to the King of Davy Jones' Locker! If you need that explained... go find an old salt!

If you're competin' against anyone except yourself, you're simply tryin' to impress others with your set! News flash! No one else is payin' attention, except maybe, those more insecure than yourself. Dang near every Buckeroo or Buckerette, Jr. Boy or Girl I've met would RATHER be competing in one of the "adult" categories... Their goals are like Frontiersman... wishin' upon that dang star that they or even one of their compatriots would win the OVERALL!

Quite yer snivelin'... you give us a bad name.

Sorry Allie Mo... but somebody had to say it! Ain't anyone on here going to change the mind of anyone that don't already think like them!

Griff,

Thanks for the apology. However, writing that someone who disagrees with you is sniveling is no way to discuss a topic. It just entrenches folks in their opposing positions.

Regards,

Allie

PS This topic has deteriorated into name calling and is no longer a polite discussion. Some posts were no more than a one or two word insult.

Archived