SASS Wire Forum

Grumbling about an old "issue"

Phantom, SASS #54973

Heard there were folks looking to re-introduce the idea of keeping folks in their age group. You know, keep the older folks from moving down into the younger age categories.

Wow...I thought we soundly voted this down a few years ago...oh well...

I guess some folks just can't let it go...

Winter...is just around the corner...oh joy!

Phantom

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will never pass

There was nothing more boring to me than my first senior games for CAS, years ago

The forced age breaks sucked hind #>{{^] from my point of view, I never went back

Age breaks like that are for grades 1 through 12, after that,,,,,,, bring it on Mann

Yer only as old as ya think ya are.

What brought this on? Some young hot shot get his comeuppance by an ol' fart?

​Or is the gun business slow and the California Apparition trying to liven up the wire? :D

I think it would never pass because most the people voting are the ones that benifit from the rule. As in a 65 year old has more catagories to choose from than a 25 year old. I don't agree with the current rule but I also don't care.

I think it would never pass because most the people voting are the ones that benifit from the rule. As in a 65 year old has more catagories to choose from than a 25 year old. I don't agree with the current rule but I also don't care.

I'm quickly approaching 60, I don't care what category I shoot in and I don't understand the attempts to change the rules, just SHOOT!

There should only be two catagories.

1) Breathing

2) Not breathing

Pick one and then go shoot

Each can then play the " if I could've, should've, would've" game on the the drive back home.

I hold my breath...........where do I fit in?

I agree, it will not pass

The Cherry Pickers will succeed.

Strictly speaking from my own personal opinion yes it's being talked about and one of the two clubs that I am a TG for would support such a rule. It seems to be a regional thing and it does not affect me one bit but I see a fair amount of cherry picking when it comes to categories at some larger matches here in the midwest. I am specifically talking about folks avoiding competition in wragler,49er,senior and SS to get a plaque or buckle. I think it's chicken crap and not within the spirit of what we do. I'm also ok with folks not agreeing with me. i highly doubt it will grow any legs again though. Fun topic to discuss.

Why shoot with your own age group when you can beat up on some younger/newer guys and take away their hope of winning a trophy, just because you can. Then wonder why they don't come back and shoot again.

Why are there age based categories when we don't have to shoot in them? I get this question from new shooters quite frequently.

I can't shoot adjustable sight pistols in duelist. However, I can in senior duelist. That makes no sense!

Why can I move down and shoot against younger shooters, but I can't move up and beat up on some older guys?

When I started shooting we had 12+/- categories, the categories have balloned out of proportion. Sounds like our federal government.

I shoot Frontiersman. I have never shot in an age based category and never will. I know I cannot compete against 20 year old eyes and reflexes but, you see, I shoot Frontiersman.

I am 71 and did not find SASS until I was old.I don't really care what age group I am in.I would shoot in a group with the kids if that was the only group they had.I have as much fun getting my butt kick by a youngster as a a old goat like me.If a shoot offer Gunfighter for the older guys fine,if not that is fine also.I will never win at a shoot but no one has more fun than I do and that for sure.I would never win a buckle,I may get one if they give all the place that they have shooters.I just want to shoot and have fun and not worry about my age or any one else's age.Sure I want to shoot my best at a shoot and I do try hard,I am just not that good.I love to watch good shooters shoot no matter how old they are.Just let me shoot and enjoy the cowboys and cowgirls.I have seen a few cowboy go to a shoot and look to see how many shooters were in a cat. and how many was in a different cat. and change when they saw who was in what cat. just to try and win,not to have fun just to try and win.I try to shoot my best I can that day.Sometimes I shoot good for me and sometime not so good.I have brain fade sometime.Some time I just have my head up my B--t were the sun don't let light in,So I don't see the target,to dark.No matter how I shoot no one can take the fun away from me.I love most of the people I have meet in this GAME and hope to meet a lot that I have not met.I am sure when I post most just jump over it.I hope anyone that has shoot with me has enjoyed it.

I shoot Traditional. That's "Cowboy", so I can shoot against all the other Traditional shooters who aren't Seniors.

Fillmore

Along with what Deuce & Assassin has mentioned.

Nothing like witnessing an old experienced fossil cherry picking down to a male/female wrangler position, where there is only two, and taking undo advantage of them,,,knowing the real wranglers have only a match or two each. Noting like seeing a 300+second spread between cherry picker and next shooter.

Along with what Deuce & Assassin has mentioned.

Nothing like witnessing an old experienced fossil cherry picking down to a male/female wrangler position, where there is only two, and taking undo advantage of them,,,knowing the real wranglers have only a match or two each. Noting like seeing a 300+second spread between cherry picker and next shooter.

That's so much worse than watching an an old experienced fossil beat a NEW inexperienced old fossil by 300+ seconds.......The NEW old fossil doesn't feel nearly as bad......

Stan

That's so much worse than watching an an old experienced fossil beat a NEW inexperienced old fossil by 300+ seconds.......The NEW old fossil doesn't feel nearly as bad......

Stan

Same analigy as if there were only two inexperienced old fossils in the catagory that the old experienced fossil beat up on and could've hunted for their kill in the big pac of shooters.

I doubt you will ever see just two in an old fossil catagory. But you will in the Wrangler cat.

Wait,, Senior/silversenior duelist/gunfighter/FCD/ knock knee'e whatever or something along those lines.

Wow, sure glad folks set me straight on what I have been doing all these years. I've always shot Cowboy even though I qualify for 49er. In the beginning since I started just before the switch to all the age based categories it was a silent protest. Since then I've stayed as Cowboy is most often sparsely populated compared to 49er. Much easier to find myself in the category listings that way.

I had no idea that I have been humiliating Cobra Cat all these years by shooting Cowboy and taking his awards. I will have to apologize to him when next we meet.

Call me a cherry picker if you want, I don't care.

I don't dispute that it can be a problem when folks change categories at the last minute based on numbers and who signed up for what cat just to get an award, but to say that every one signed up for an age based cat other than the oldest they qualify for is misinformed at the least.

Enforcing the age brackets would create more problems than it would hypothetically fix. Cowboy and Wrangler which are typically short on entrees would be consolidated and just imagine the uproar then.

I used to fight competitively and the way the age brackets worked are similar to SASS in that you can move down, but not up. Then there are belt categories where you can move up, but not down. The one caveat to the rule is that once you made the move, you couldn't go back for the rest of the year. Maybe that could be something to think about. All I know is that I'm one of, if not the youngest, everytime I shoot and I still end up in the lower quarter of the standings. Now that I shoot gunfighter, age doesn't really matter. But to me, winning doesn't matter either. Only looking really good while losing does hehe

A friend of mine is Sass# 44, he found an old rule book and brought it to our last shoot.

3 categories total -Modern -Traditional -Black powder

No age, no gender etc.those were the days.

Oh ya-you think the 170 rule is too limiting-it used to be the 150 rule.

Interesting stuff that doesn't have much to do with this thread.

Gonna be a long winter!

The folks that are voting are just representing their club wishes and most clubs have a lot more folks in their 60s than 20s.

I shoot for fun. Even if I couldn't shoot I'd show up just to see my pards. I'm moving up to senior in a couple of months and I'll be up against some real good senior duelists so maybe I'll move over to gunfighter.

Same analigy as if there were only two inexperienced old fossils in the catagory that the old experienced fossil beat up on and could've hunted for their kill in the big pac of shooters.

I doubt you will ever see just two in an old fossil catagory. But you will in the Wrangler cat.

Wait,, Senior/silversenior duelist/gunfighter/FCD/ knock knee'e whatever or something along those lines.

What difference does the number of entrants matter?

You're complaint is about an experienced shooter going up against and inexperienced shooter in different age brackets......why is that more egregious than when they are in the same age bracket? I dare say that there are more inexperienced "older" shooters going up against experienced "older" shooters than there are "older" shooters who cherry pick.

I asked the question......Why do we have age brackets? Can you explain the reason why?

Stan

I think the reason age brackets were brought into this game was because the old folks didn't want to compete against the fast new young folks. Now it seems that some of the old folks are actually faster than some of the new fast young folks so therefore it's not fair for the old folks to compete against the young folks.

Another question. What is a "cherry picker?" Is that the new name for "Gamer?"

Granny, a cherry picker is someone who picks their category based on the competition being weak enough that they can place high in the category. In effect 'I would probably be 7th in 49er, but I know I can beat those three fellers in Wrangler, so I'm going to shoot Wrangler this match.'

Archived