SASS Wire Forum

Eenie, Meanie, Miney, Moe

I came into a little extra gold dust....

And of course it's burning a hole in my pocket.

So my mind turned to that insatiable desire for...a new gun! Looked over the inventory:

My SASS guns are solid, and don't need replacement. I have a new brace of Navies, so no new cap pistols needed, either.

I have a couple of 10/22s - one for plinking, one serious target model.

I have a couple of shotguns that cover me for clays and birds.

I have two semi-auto pistols - a Walther P99 and a Para Slim Hawg - covering my carry needs (but maybe there's room for one more?).

And I have a Beretta CX4 carbine in .45 ACP - a nice close-in gun.

The obvious gaps I see are:

A decent woods rifle for deer - either a bolt action or a lever gun; I've handled a Ruger Gunsight rifle, and like it a lot; or maybe an 1876 Winchester Centennial in .45-60....

A reach-out-and-touch-someone-repeatedly rifle - like an M&P 15T. I have some limitations given my location - maximum 10 round mags, fixed stock, etc. - so the M&P15FT works well. But I wonder a bit about whether its a rational choice, or just that emotional need for something "tactical".

A modern revolver - like an SP101.

And that new Winchester 73 with the beautiful CCH on the receiver is a dream.

A diverse set of choices - but you know what it's like.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Warnings? All input appreciated.

LL

Don't let your wife know about the money or you might be getting new carpet or drapes or something like that.

Don't know what your budget is, but a crate of barking tent poles (i.e. Mosin-Nagants) can be a pretty sight. They've got a lot of history behind them.

If you're thinking of a lever gun for hunting, maybe a Savage 99? I really like mine, and I don't even hunt. It feels like a cowboy gun but shoots flatter than a .45. It doesn't have a tubular magazine so you can use pointed bullets. They're around in various calibers. Mine is a .250 Savage, but .300 Savage seems to be more common.

I don't see a longrange single shot on that list.

A quality double action revolver that's caliber starts with a '4'. another in 22caliber.

Kinda light with CCW choices. Need four,,, one for each season of the year. :)

Do you hunt? If not, then why a woods hunting gun.

17callber rifles around here are popular.

Reach out and touch someone gun are nice, but will you shoot it often enough, or a safe queen? Can you afford the ammo?

Best, is,,,, hold onto the money until you run across 'the gun', you will know when you see it.

Good luck.

The Ruger Gunsite is pretty sweet. We raffled one off and I had sufficient time to check it out closely. Couldn't shoot it though. :(

Since your tastes include post-1900 semi autos, every collection should have a 1911. You can't carry your "man card" without one. :D

I'm small handed...that's why my only 1911 is the Slim Hawg....very slim grip. I like the 3" barrels - S&W makes a nice shorty; that's a possibility.

LL

Doc:

I'd love to....but the PX4 is not "approved" for sale in MA.

Sheesh....

LL

Oh. Sorry about that. Next time I'll just give you a paper cut and squeeze lemon juice in it.

I didn't even think about that.

I don't see a longrange single shot on that list.

Yep a nice single shot in 45-70 along with a 45-70 lever gun.

Now you are set to compete in multiple long range side match categories as well as Cody/Dixon matches.

As a bonus either gun in 45-70 would make an excellent deer hunting rifle. The versatility of the 45-70 cartridge is unmatched by almost any other round, allowing you to hunt any North American big game animal just by tailoring the load.

Yep a nice single shot in 45-70 along with a 45-70 lever gun.

Now you are set to compete in multiple long range side match categories as well as Cody/Dixon matches.

As a bonus either gun in 45-70 would make an excellent deer hunting rifle. The versatility of the 45-70 cartridge is unmatched by almost any other round, allowing you to hunt any North American big game animal just by tailoring the load.

+1 :)

Loop Hole...I looked at your list and I agree with Sedilia and Rye....a 45-70 lever gun would fit nicely in your collection. It'd make a fine deer or moose rifle and if you have some longer shots you can mount a scope on it (with see under scope mount of course). It is also a great "reach out and touch someone" rifle. You could shoot it in some long range matches after removing the scope. Pretty versatile gun. Please do report back and let us know what you ultimately do get....and why. That's always an interesting story.

Dang, I'm gonna talk my self into getting one now :blink: :blink:

Kajun

Perhaps a M-1 Garand? A piece of history, with 5 shot en bloc clips it can be used for hunting just about anything in North America, it remains a good reach out and touch at a distance rifle and with a little practice it is almost as fast to reload as a magazine fed rifle.

A Springfield M1A is a comparable choice and there are 5 round magazines available for hunting and there are probably quite a few pre-ban 20rd magazines floating around MA

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and suggestions.

Ultimately, I decided on the M&P15T.

As beautiful as some of the lever guns are, I really needed to fill the "hole" with a modern rifle. My new baby is in the safe.

The gun shop had pallets of Federal 5.56 ammo; no issue there. Now I need some reloading dies, components, and optics. Oooh....Christmas is coming.

Great weather here; tomorrow looks like a range day!

LL

Loop Hole...I looked at your list and I agree with Sedilia and Rye....a 45-70 lever gun would fit nicely in your collection. It'd make a fine deer or moose rifle and if you have some longer shots you can mount a scope on it (with see under scope mount of course). It is also a great "reach out and touch someone" rifle. You could shoot it in some long range matches after removing the scope. Pretty versatile gun. Please do report back and let us know what you ultimately do get....and why. That's always an interesting story.

Dang, I'm gonna talk my self into getting one now :blink: :blink:

Kajun

Kajun

For a scope mount that allows you to use iron sights also look around for one of the old Weaver pivot mounts. I have used one on my 243 for 40 years and for hunting applications it cannot be beat. Keeps the scope low and close to the barrel. A tap with the heel of your right hand and it swings out of the way and allows you to use your iron sights. Want to use the scope just pivot it back until it snaps into place and now you are right back to your last zero.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and suggestions.

Ultimately, I decided on the M&P15T.

As beautiful as some of the lever guns are, I really needed to fill the "hole" with a modern rifle. My new baby is in the safe.

The gun shop had pallets of Federal 5.56 ammo; no issue there. Now I need some reloading dies, components, and optics. Oooh....Christmas is coming.

Great weather here; tomorrow looks like a range day!

LL

You can check out Badger's. 223/5.56 thread for suggestions on optics and other AR goodies.

And this thread too

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228015&page=1

Perhaps a M-1 Garand? A piece of history, with 5 shot en bloc clips it can be used for hunting just about anything in North America, it remains a good reach out and touch at a distance rifle and with a little practice it is almost as fast to reload as a magazine fed rifle.

Probably a dumb question, but I've only hunted birds with shotguns. Is the 5-round limit a hunting regulation so the original 8-round clips are illegal?

Probably a dumb question, but I've only hunted birds with shotguns. Is the 5-round limit a hunting regulation so the original 8-round clips are illegal?

The five round limit is just a hunting regulation in many states. An 8 round clip is only likely to get you in trouble if you're caught in the woods during hunting season with it. At a shooting range or someplace where it's obvious you're not hunting it's not an issue. (Usual disclaimers apply. Offer void where prohibited, etc.)

Archived