SASS Wire Forum

FURY movie - article

I haven't had a chance to review the links above so it may already advise this but I do believe the Tiger I used in the wovie is the only working one in the world. They wanted the movie as original as possible and got permission to use the Tiger !. It's the 1st one ever captured during WWII. There is also another one being restored in England.

I have a friend who has a 16th scale Tiger I RC tank.

http://youtu.be/0gatJNQUb6Y

JEL

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Africa Rommel's troops called the Sherman's "Tommy Cookers" In Italy one captured German Officer said he was only taken because he ran out of ammo before we ran out of tanks. Scary stuff but then what isn't. All those B-17's and B-24"s had about 1/16" of aluminum between you, the flack, and five miles of altitude.

Yeah. Shoulda been called a BAPC (barely armored personnel carrier). I believe an AP 12.7 round will penetrate sides (unless it hits somebody on the interior). The armor is only 35mm thick.

One of my favorite "war quotes," was about an M113, IIRC.

There was an urban mission that got really sporty, and wounded troops were being exfil'd with APC's. A wounded soldier was sitting in one of them waiting for other APC's to load, and listening to enemy fire hit the sides of it. He told one of the other soldiers to "open the door a crack so we'll have somewhere to explode out of."

My second favorite comes from a Chinook pilot, trying to convince a ground force commander to use his aircraft for a mission instead of another platform. "But our fuel tanks will keep .50 cal machine gun fire from reaching the cabin."

They had a brief bit on Pawn Stars tonight showing some details. It looks Very Good!

Given the coice to be cooped up in an 113 or an Abrams however, I'd take the one with the the real armor and bigass gun. :D

Yeah, kinda my point!

In Africa Rommel's troops called the Sherman's "Tommy Cookers" In Italy one captured German Officer said he was only taken because he ran out of ammo before we ran out of tanks. Scary stuff but then what isn't. All those B-17's and B-24"s had about 1/16" of aluminum between you, the flack, and five miles of altitude.

And the Americans called them Ronsons, after the cigarette lighter.

I saw where Fox Business News was going to do a story on the movie. I think they said 8pm Saturday.

Brian Suits, a Talk-Jock here in LA (with the Bronze Star and Purple Heart from three tours of duty in Iraq and Bosnia), has seen Fury. He's given it a VERY positive review; I'd say 5 out of 5 105mm shells.

70 mile round trip to the theater for me. I'll wait for the video.

OK, OK, I get it, it isn't necessary for him to actually DO anything as long as he is "honored" and shows respect. It used to be that movie heros had actually been in the service and knew what it meant. Now, it is enough to be told how it is. Guess I'm just getting old and cranky but somehow, I just don't buy talking the talk.

From this--

I saw the "Crew" interviewed on GMA this morning and am anxious to see the film after listening to them and reading the reviews

To this-- ;)

LG

70 mile round trip to the theater for me. I'll wait for the video.

70 mile round trip? :D I do 75 miles round trip Mon-Fri to the office everyday....

It's gonna be awesome to see this in the theatre tonight! Big screen BIG sound....

http://furymovie.tumblr.com/#all

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If I was gerting paid to drive 75 mikes a day I would too, but I'm not. ;)

If I was gerting paid to drive 75 mikes a day I would too, but I'm not. ;)

:lol: ...but the movie is only one day. Mmmmmm....buttery popcorn :P Make a date with your pards at the VFW post.... B)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You haven't seen the teeny old picture house here. No multiplex. :rolleyes: To do a good movie justice I'd have to go to a real theater....in Durango. Now we're talking 160 mile round trip.

Country livin. ;)

Well Yeah, I may be old and cranky but I can still be open minded and admit I was wrong. I don't like it, but I can do it, if I have to, I guess.

You were not wrong. You simply mis-spoke. ;)

INCREDIBLE experience.... Emotionally exausted.... Raw...... Horrifying ( as war must be ).... GREAT MOVIE.

Go see it in the theatre if you....

GG

And now that the movie has premiered, I will leave this thread (and any subsequent Fury threads) in case someone who has seen it doesn't understand the "loose lips sink ships" spoiler rule. ;)

Adios! :)

And now that the movie has premiered, I will leave this thread (and any subsequent Fury threads) in case someone who has seen it doesn't understand the "loose lips sink ships" spoiler rule. ;)

Adios! :)

My review has been posted. No 'loose lips' here ;)

GG

Wife and I saw "Fury" today. Gritty, graphic blood and gore, shows the dehumanization of war, intense combat scenes, cold bloodedness, and as GG said--exhausting. War is not a sport. Reminded me a lot of "Saving Private Ryan". A few hardened combat vets with the new guy who is the clerk/typist and his becoming a soldier/killer. Plus,the Last Stand against overwhelming odds at the end. I didn't like Sergeant 'Wardaddy' and his men as much as I did Captain Miller and his men. No message in "Fury" that I picked up as in "Saving Private Ryan" where the dying Captain Miller tells Private Ryan to "Earn this. Earn it".

I thought it was a very good war movie. But not to the level of "Saving Private Ryan".

---SPOILER ALERT---

What I didn't get about "Fury". The last stand is an immobilized lone tank with a blown tread against a battalion of SS infantry with panzerfausts. It's my understanding that tanks have a lot of blind spots and need infantry support to protect the tanks against enemy infantry. The Germans could have easily just gone around this lone tank and continued on with their mission, but instead they continued to attack the tank, didn't know how to take out this single immobilized tank, ineptly getting many of themselves killed.

---SPOILER ALERT---

What I didn't get about "Fury". The last stand is an immobilized lone tank with a blown tread against a battalion of SS infantry with panzerfausts. It's my understanding that tanks have a lot of blind spots and need infantry support to protect the tanks against enemy infantry. The Germans could have easily just gone around this lone tank and continued on with their mission, but instead they continued to attack the tank, didn't know how to take out this single immobilized tank, ineptly getting many of themselves killed.

. I could say something on your inquiry...but really, why post this spoiler alert? The movie just came out.

GG

---SPOILER ALERT---

:angry:

Please those that have seen it. DON'T GIVE STUFF AWAY

Gunner, Anvil,

Please. Come on. If you haven't seen the movie, don't read posts advertising a Spoiler Alert. Did my post not give ample warning?

Still, c'mon.... It can wait a couple days. My thread wasn't intended as a review/ post- movie duscussion thread...but a preview thread to get folks excited to see the show.

GG

Well Gunner, this is the Saloon. You did start the thread, but threads go where they go. If you feel like I've inappropriately hijacked your thread, I apologize.

All's fine.... I was just sayin'

Have a nice evening :)

GG

Well Yeah, I may be old and cranky but I can still be open minded and admit I was wrong. I don't like it, but I can do it, if I have to, I guess.

Sounds like a rational mind to me. No offense.

Archived