SASS Wire Forum

Time for a sabbatical.

Key Hay

As I've said on the wire before the wife and I are relocating to the Charlotte area this spring. My job is ending Jan 30th but the company is giving me a decent severance package for 25 years of service. Original plan was to find a new job right away and get established ASAP. Well on a drive to a shoot in Central Oregon in the 5th wheel, the wife and I started talkin. What if we took a few months off first.

After running some numbers it looks like this is our new plan. So were selling the house, putting stuff in storage in the Charlotte area, and start touring the southern states in the RV. Time to relax, go see Key West, the Gulf Coast, and go shoot with some folks I've been conversing with on FB and the wire.

So what are the places to go see in Feb, March, April and May. Mt Rushmore and most Northern states are out, want to stay warm and within about 1000 miles of Charlotte (we'll be headquartering out of our daughter's house).

Key my friend, your wisdom is shining thru..... ;)

And...like you, I would also try to stay in the warmer climates.

Don't forget The Siege in Florida in January. Its reputation of being a GREAT match is only exceeded by those 'questionable' characters that travel down from Indiana and shoot there during the winter months (Korupt Karl and Cheyenne Culpepper).

Congratulations.

Who knows, I might even see you venture into TN sometime soon.

..........Widder

Key my friend, your wisdom is shining thru..... ;)

And...like you, I would also try to stay in the warmer climates.

Don't forget The Siege in Florida in January. Its reputation of being a GREAT match is only exceeded by those 'questionable' characters that travel down from Indiana and shoot there during the winter months (Korupt Karl and Cheyenne Culpepper).

Congratulations.

Who knows, I might even see you venture into TN sometime soon.

..........Widder

Won't be able to get out till after Jan 30th. Wanted to hit Winter Range but think it will be a little too soon. Gonna make it to Tennessee for a monthly though!

Savannah, GA (before May). Charleston, SC (before May). Williamsburg, VA. After March drive the Blue Ridge Parkway end-to-end - which will take you to/by Roanoke, Va., Asheville, NC, the Great Smoky Mountains NP and many other interesting places.

that's just off the top of my head. Lots to do and see in the SE, Key. Tons of history and natural attractions.

Ides of March put on by the Lake County Pistoleros in Tavares FL. 200 shooters and a damn fine match! We have a great time. That match has a something for everyone with plenty of movement and hit table targets. Arcadia Outlaw and crew put on a good one.

Stan

Key,

Great things can happen from that newfound perspective. Enjoy the fruits of your labors. And +1 for Stump Water's reco for BR Parkway tour through VA and Carolinas.

All Life's Best

CBO

Be sure to stop by and see us in Alabama.

Got friends in Alex City. Will definitely be headin to Alabama!

Sounds great and when you through you will love Charlotte. Beautiful county, wonderful weather, great people,and more cowboy shoots than you can keep up with. Don't miss Gunpowder Creek up north of Hickory

Ides of March put on by the Lake County Pistoleros in Tavares FL. 200 shooters and a damn fine match! We have a great time. That match has a something for everyone with plenty of movement and hit table targets. Arcadia Outlaw and crew put on a good one.

Stan

+1 for the Ides. Sure would like to meet ya, Kihei.

Oh that's right you spell it Key Hay.

:lol:

If you manage to get to the Ides look me up -- Waimea. Why May Ah!

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Florida is Cowboy Haven :D

The Siege is Top Notch, Love the Ides

Great monthly Matches all over Florida

Hope to be shootin with ya soon

Chicken Scratch

Hey Hay ...

Don't forget our great Annual Shoot down in Lake Charles, Louisiana .. March 2015 .. "Bayou Blast"...Up the Creek Gang, Club President Rambling Gray.

We sure would make you guys feel welcome.

...crosscut

Key,

Make plans to stop in Georgia the third weekend in May. Why you ask......

The STAMPEDE at SOUTH RIVER that's why!!!!

Fast Eddie is in charge and I am writing the stages. All I can promise is that it will be a SHOOTERS MATCH.

BIG , CLOSE AND AS FAST AS YOU WANT TO GO!!!!

Plus we will be offering the GREAT Dang It Dan idea of the All Around Cowboy/ Cowgirl categories.

YOU WILL HAVE FUN!!!!

yadda some other stuff.....

After running some numbers it looks like this is our new plan. So were selling the house, putting stuff in storage in the Charlotte area, and start touring the southern states in the RV. Time to relax, go see Key West, the Gulf Coast, and go shoot with some folks I've been conversing with on FB and the wire.

So what are the places to go see in Feb, March, April and May. Mt Rushmore and most Northern states are out, want to stay warm and within about 1000 miles of Charlotte (we'll be headquartering out of our daughter's house).

Key....when ya get around Georgia I got a concrete slab, a hose pipe and an extension cord at my house so you to park your 5th wheel for a bit when ya need to shoot or do the tourst thang in the NE GA area. I got a DIllon 650 set up and MEC so if ya bring your components you can get caught up on your reloading. I'll have the dies for most anything you'd shoot as a regular SASS match. I can take you to a few shoots around the Atlanta and NE Georgia area. There are a bunch of friendly folks here that'd be glad to have ya'll at any match around here.

I am about 90 minute drive fron Greenville SC and they have a WB match every quarter...if you time your visit right you can get your SASS and WB shooting fix taken care of.

When your schedule gets more firmed up give me a call and if I can help ya I'll be glad to do what I can.

Kajun

Key....when ya get around Georgia I got a concrete slab, a hose pipe and an extension cord at my house so you to park your 5th wheel for a bit when ya need to shoot or do the tourst thang in the NE GA area. I got a DIllon 650 set up and MEC so if ya bring your components you can get caught up on your reloading. I'll have the dies for most anything you'd shoot as a regular SASS match. I can take you to a few shoots around the Atlanta and NE Georgia area. There are a bunch of friendly folks here that'd be glad to have ya'll at any match around here.

I am about 90 minute drive fron Greenville SC and they have a WB match every quarter...if you time your visit right you can get your SASS and WB shooting fix taken care of.

When your schedule gets more firmed up give me a call and if I can help ya I'll be glad to do what I can.

Kajun

Thanks Kajun! We gotta shoot together! I'll keep ya posted.

a year ago i was 4 months into what you are doing , after just shy of 30 years my job went away as well , not a surprise at the time but still an adjustment , wife and i discussed the options and rode along a bit , i found a place that still wanted a not ready to retire old guy and im happy , we happen to live near our grown kids and grandkids so stayed here , i still think of moving south - one day we may , for now we are planning for winter again ....

i missed a lot of shooting here , had to keep an eye on the spending and use time to supplement where i could till we figured things out , back into it now - you will be too

Welcome to the ranks of the "I didn't intend to retire just yet" I think you will find the decompression is good for the soul. I have dropped twenty pounds and nearly that much off my blood pressure in the last six months. I may have to look for a job soon to add to the retirement fund, just cause I am gonna live longer from not being employed! At least they came across with severance pay and COBRA.....wow is that health insurance stuff expensive! Not sure how they figure on saving money since to replace each of us they layed off they hired two guys in Egypt on top of that they payed us six months severance, but then I don't have an MBA.

No shooting over that way that I know of, but the Smoky Mountains in April and May are hard to beat for peaceful beauty (just stay out of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge if you don't like crowds). The mountain wildflowers are in full bloom and if you're a fly fisherman, lots of good hatches on the streams with winter-hungry trout.

Kajun

Now that there is Southern hospitality at its finest.

You are a truly generous cowboy, KK!

Waimea

Welcome to the ranks of the "I didn't intend to retire just yet" I think you will find the decompression is good for the soul. I have dropped twenty pounds and nearly that much off my blood pressure in the last six months. I may have to look for a job soon to add to the retirement fund, just cause I am gonna live longer from not being employed! At least they came across with severance pay and COBRA.....wow is that health insurance stuff expensive! Not sure how they figure on saving money since to replace each of us they layed off they hired two guys in Egypt on top of that they payed us six months severance, but then I don't have an MBA.

I could use to loose a few pounds cause the stress eating thing is getting to me. I'll be getting paychecks into 2016 (gonna miss working for a privately held company) and FREE medical. Already front loaded the co-pays this year. Lookin forward to some stress free weeks (not just weekends) for a while.

I could use to loose a few pounds cause the stress eating thing is getting to me. I'll be getting paychecks into 2016 (gonna miss working for a privately held company) and FREE medical. Already front loaded the co-pays this year. Lookin forward to some stress free weeks (not just weekends) for a while.

Breathe deeply, my pasty friend.

Everything will be fine.

Waimea

Savannah, GA (before May). Charleston, SC (before May). Williamsburg, VA. After March drive the Blue Ridge Parkway end-to-end - which will take you to/by Roanoke, Va., Asheville, NC, the Great Smoky Mountains NP and many other interesting places.

that's just off the top of my head. Lots to do and see in the SE, Key. Tons of history and natural attractions.

Charleston shoots the 4th weekend of the month. Come to Charleston and soak in some of the Southern hospitality, then come shoot with the Geechee Gunfighters.

Stan

+1

Archived