SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Marching Songs?

Come On Christmas

Panzerlied I think is the name of the song from the Battle of the Bulge movie. It gets my blood moving for sure even though I don't understand German.

Bugs here you go. Panzerlied with English translation.

(Bit annoying opening)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awehbFe3P3U

I just can't tap my toe to any German marches. Just can't.

If you ever have the chance to be in Paris on July 14 (their version of our July 4th) for the giant parade, the units march past as a band plays, UNTIL the last unit comes down the Elysee. The Legion is the only unit which has their own 'Musique" which marches with them, playing their march, "Le Boudin". Even after hearing the national anthem a couple of times at the beginning of the ceremony, your hair will stand up. Just my two cents....

See you down the trail......

If you ever have the chance to be in Paris on July 14 (their version of our July 4th) for the giant parade, the units march past as a band plays, UNTIL the last unit comes down the Elysee. The Legion is the only unit which has their own 'Musique" which marches with them, playing their march, "Le Boudin". Even after hearing the national anthem a couple of times at the beginning of the ceremony, your hair will stand up. Just my two cents....

See you down the trail......

The Legion also has a different marching pace than other units, 88 per minute, if I recall correctly. That's why it's always at the end.

Well, Bob, that's 'cause they're MARCHING songs, not toe tappin' songs!

I do understand. It's hard to separate the music from the reality of the war on humanity they waged. They had great , "stir the blood" music that served a horrific cause.

I do understand. It's hard to separate the music from the reality of the war on humanity they waged. They had great , "stir the blood" music that served a horrific cause.

I know what you mean. I admire the excellent use of emotion in the propaganda, but loathe the ends to which it was used. And I rather doubt that any Brits would be fond of a song like "Bomben auf Engeland."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVSpY8xY9I

The British Grenadier

There are many good marches and before my Walkman (yes, I'm that old!) finally died, I had various cassette tapes of different marches.

I refuse to run or jog -- a good friend of mine beat his knees to death running -- but L'Amour observed a man can walk down a horse, and in my salad days I could walk all day long at a good steady pace.

Well, I would have to go with The Army Song, or, since I was in the Field Artillery, the original, the Caisson Song.

I can say that I never want to march again while the soundtrack from Patton is played. Did it for a pass in review for an outgoing brigade commander, because, of course, it was his favorite movie. We couldn't keep in step to save our lives.

Archived