SASS Wire Forum

Winchester (Miroku) 73 tang sight

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Anybody have experience putting a tang sight on a new 73? I have an old original 73 and had a Lyman on it for long range shooting and was going to put it on my new 73, but the screw thread was different size, so after figuring out the new one is 10/ 32 I talked to Marbles about a sight since theirs have windage too, they said the new 73's are a different angle than the originals. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Howdy, Bob,

Did Marbles say they were not going to make the proper sight for the Miroku 73? Until they do you can shim your other sight to the correct angle. A few washers under the appropriate screw should get you close enough.

Howdy, Bob,

Did Marbles say they were not going to make the proper sight for the Miroku 73? Until they do you can shim your other sight to the correct angle. A few washers under the appropriate screw should get you close enough.

The guy I talked to said they were in the process of getting one out, he said they were half done, whatever that means. Thanks, I'll try that.

Hello Bob. I've installed two. I used Marbles Improved Base (#991001) with the short range upright (#990100). That combination will work well for short range CAS with the rear upright at about 1/2 of its travel for a 25 yard zero. If you want to use the gun for long range then install a standard range upright (#990110). As you have discovered the mounting holes are tapped 10x32. Use mounting screws #995033. If you want to be able to remove the tang screw with the tang sight installed, it will be necessary to remove just a very small amount of material from the rear of the tang sight base to provide clearance.

The uprights are as close to verticle as I can measure with no shimming of the bases requred.

TR

Hello Bob. I've installed two. I used Marbles Improved Base (#991001) with the short range upright (#990100). That combination will work well for short range CAS with the rear upright at about 1/2 of its travel for a 25 yard zero. If you want to use the gun for long range then install a standard range upright (#990110). As you have discovered the mounting holes are tapped 10x32. Use mounting screws #995033. If you want to be able to remove the tang screw with the tang sight installed, it will be necessary to remove just a very small amount of material from the rear of the tang sight base to provide clearance.

The uprights are as close to verticle as I can measure with no shimming of the bases requred.

TR

WOW! Thanks for the great info.

Archived