SASS Wire Forum

Needed-Carrier for Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited

Rio Brazos Kid

I am in need of a new carrier for a 1894 Marlin Cowboy limited in 38/357. Old one can't be fixed. Broken.

Has anybody out there got one that they would part with? Haven't been able to find one.

RBK

I got a couple carriers from Brownells not too long ago.

Fillmore

I suppose it's possible to weld it together, but would be difficult to keep proper alinement.

A new part is the better way to go.

Brownell's show them on backorder. My experience with Brownell's and backorders is not good. I have some parts backordered there right now for over 2 months.

RBK

I checked ebay and there were none listed at this time. But there are a lot of Marlin 1894 parts on ebay. I got a couple of new electors off ebay not long ago for about half of what the parts place wanted and didn't have. I've learned to check ebay for all kinds of parts (besides gun parts) and saved a lot of money.

I suppose it's possible to weld it together, but would be difficult to keep proper alinement.

A new part is the better way to go.

Brownell's show them on backorder. My experience with Brownell's and backorders is not good. I have some parts backordered there right now for over 2 months.

RBK

Now see, my experience was different. They projected a 2 month backorder but I got mine in 3 weeks.

FC

Widder, I don't know how Rio Brazos Kid broke his but I broke one trying to bend it a "little". They don't bend well! One of my early attempts at short stroking a Marlin. That one didn't work.

Howdy Sam.

There is a picture floating around the past few years of a method of bending an 1894 carrier without heating it up. I've often wondered about that method without first heating up the carrier.

BUT, I've got a good gunsmith friend who has heated them up just back of the wing area and taps them with a ballpeen hammer to bend the front up about .010 or less to help improve the initial timing.

One of the negative issues of 'bending' is to make sure you still have enough 'tongue' on the front of the carrier to block the round in the portal from shooting thru under the carrier.

I hope you were successful in your efforts on that Marlin.

Best regards,

..........Widder

Widder

Cold bending is how I broke this one. I have bent several, with good success, that is until this one. My bad.

From this point on, I will use heat to bend them. It only takes about .010 to .012 to make them work properly, unless they are badly eroded from a very sharp cam. Usually you can smooth out the erosion, radius the cam, and bend the carrier a bit and all will work as designed.

Lesson learned. Actually I should have known better than to cold bend it anyway. Won't happen again.

RBK

KID, thanks for sharing.

that might help others in being VERY cautious when bending a carrier.

I can tell by your last post that you do indeed have some good knowledge of the Marlin.

I think that's great.

..........Widder

Do you know a good TIG welder?

LG

Thats a good thought but I wonder if the cost of a new carrier might be cheaper than the hourly rate of a good TIG man.

PLUS, ifn Rio Brazos Kid gets a new carrier, he can salvage the plunger and spring out of his broken carrier. All he would need is a 1/8" eclip and he would have an 'emergency' carrier kit should the other one decide to 'let go'.

..........Widder

Marlin1894carrier_zpse776e995.jpg

I may not be understanding why the carrier needed to be bent. When I installed a modified carrier in my 1894CB to convert it to shoot C45S, I needed to adjust the position of the carrier. I added a section of salvaged flat spring to the bottom plate. It's affixed with JB weld. The spring is .027 thick. Worked perfectly. And the spring is hard as glass. No way will the snail dig into this surface. This idea is documented on the Marauder web site.

Howdy Warden,

bending the carrier is another method that can be successfully used to help with initial timing issues. PLUS, it can also be used to help with the upper positioning if the carrier isn't rising high enough to the chamber.

In the method you used to help with the timing for the C45S, it works great. It enhances the initial timing, which is the downward stroke of lever.

Bending the front upwards a few .000's not only can help with initial timing, but it can be beneficial on the upwards position of the carrier in relation to the chamber.....which is in the closing of the lever.

I know of a couple gunsmiths who prefer to bend rather than build up the ramp. As for me, if it only pertains to the initial timing, I prefer to use Gunner Gatlin and let him do 'his thing' by placing a super hard steel piece in the carrier ramp. He can make it a flush fit or he can give you an increase in height of that ramp.

In the job I ask him to do for me, he gave me a .020 rise, which gave me a perfect timing for my .38 Comp.

best regards

..........Widder

It would be interesting to know of what material and method the new carriers are made. They seem to be soft for gun parts. Maybe some kind of compressed powder process.

I thought as I was butchering on the carrier on my 1894 that if I went too far, I could use the same spring stock adhered with JB weld trick to build the saddle back up. And I'm thinking it would probably aid I smooter feed to have the round sliding on a hard surface rather then a soft one.

Is there pictures and description of the GG method?

I am in need of a new carrier for a 1894 Marlin Cowboy limited in 38/357. Old one can't be fixed. Broken.

Has anybody out there got one that they would part with? Haven't been able to find one.

RBK

These may or may not still be in business:

Jack First

605-343-9544

Bob's Gun Shop

501-767-1970

• 2 weeks later...

These may or may not still be in business:

Jack First

605-343-9544

Bob's Gun Shop

501-767-1970

Thanks Cat. Jack First had one, and is being shipped.

RBK

Archived