SASS Wire Forum

Digital CC

Rancho Roy

I really don't want to bring this up as I'm tired of all the "Digital CC" stuff....But I just got an email and it said this...

"As mentioned in Skinny's note, we is our intention to make the PDF versions available only on an archived (30 day delay) basis to encourage the primary use of the digital edition."

...What does this mean? Do we need to now wait 30 days for a PDF and use tons of bandwidth to view the CC immediatly?

And now we gotta wait a whole month for the PDF?

Well, I just got an e-mail saying the October PDF is now available cuz the digital one doesn't work. (Paraphrasing) But that in the future, there will still be an extra month delay in the PDF

So from now on, reading Novembers will take place in December, Decembers in January, etc...

I am just not interested in the digital version.

And they stil lneed to reformat the PDF version for veiwing on a screen that it wider than tall instead of the current taller than wide layout.

I gotta say the elimination of the hard copy edition was the WORST mistake SASS ever made. BRING IT BACK.

Agree 100%! Although I still read the digital CC, I'd prefer the hard copy. :mellow: Rye

Agree 100%! Although I still read the digital CC, I'd prefer the hard copy. :mellow: Rye

Look at the bright side Rye, it only takes a couple of minutes to browse thru the online version where we used to spend a lot of time looking thru the whole thing and reading a lot more

articles. Now I can use my right finger and blow right thru and not read 90% of the articles and be done and finished for another month! Wow the future is here. No going back.

Charlie

I emailed Misti and smiley both last night. ?misti like the fine manger she is replied to me today. Basically she doesn't agree with the PDF not being current but they want the viewers to use the interactive version because it has tools that allow them to give feedback to the advertisers. She is going to see if she can get them to change the idea of hold the PDF for a month or so. She agrees it should be kept current also.

So email them I used their alias@sassnet.com . Tell them that the reason you prefer the PDF version is?

My two reasons was limited internet bandwidth and I like to read it off line. Other have stated computer hardware or software as to the reason that the interactive version wouldn't work. The only thing I've tried to do was go to the link in the sticky for the archives and downloaded the PDF version. When I clicked on the link in the email I got a blank page before I closed the page. I do do the interactive NRA Magazines either just long enough to get the PDF download link. I do for the American Rifleman and the Shooting Sports Magazine both.

So let the email attacks begin

I like reading it online. I can make the text larger, increase the back lighting, etc. With my old eyes and forgetting where I have left my glasses it is just easier to read on a computer screen. I also like that I can click on an ad and go directly to the advertiser's website instead of having to type in the address. AND, I don't get ink on my fingers . . . . JMHO

Kelby

It sucks period !

Look at the bright side Rye, it only takes a couple of minutes to browse thru the online version where we used to spend a lot of time looking thru the whole thing and reading a lot more

articles. Now I can use my right finger and blow right thru and not read 90% of the articles and be done and finished for another month! Wow the future is here. No going back.

Charlie

That is true but I used to actually read the articles with my coffee in the morning at my kitchen table. My computer is in the back room. I scan through it now instead of actually turning pages and reading! I know I'm a dinosaur but at least I shoot cartridges instead those balls and nipples!! :P See ya Sat! Looks like a good time! ;)

Haven't read a single copy of the CC since in went on line. Out of sight and out of mind. Wonder if the people who advertise in the chronicle are getting their monies worth. Much preferred the hard copy and would be willing to shell out a few extra bucks to see it back. Also the hard copies were good for recruiting new members.

Each cowboy will be different on this, but I spend 30 of my 45 hours a week stuck in front of a PC. I spend another 5-6 hours a week on the PC checking e-mail, hitting this forum and a couple of others, and doing general research. I have read two through two copies of the digital CC.

Before I got a hard copy and enjoyed reading through each copy at least twice, often more. I kept the old copies for later reference (never thought I would want to shoot GF). I often gave an old copy to someone interested in cowboy-action.

Lots lost in going digital. I wish the CC would come back in print, even if it was much smaller. The stories could be much shorter and have links to the full version on line.

Both good points!

Haven't read a single copy of the CC since in went on line. Out of sight and out of mind. Wonder if the people who advertise in the chronicle are getting their monies worth. Much preferred the hard copy and would be willing to shell out a few extra bucks to see it back. Also the hard copies were good for recruiting new members.

Each cowboy will be different on this, but I spend 30 of my 45 hours a week stuck in front of a PC. I spend another 5-6 hours a week on the PC checking e-mail, hitting this forum and a couple of others, and doing general research. I have read two through two copies of the digital CC.

Before I got a hard copy and enjoyed reading through each copy at least twice, often more. I kept the old copies for later reference (never thought I would want to shoot GF). I often gave an old copy to someone interested in cowboy-action.

Lots lost in going digital. I wish the CC would come back in print, even if it was much smaller. The stories could be much shorter and have links to the full version on line.

Both good points, as you know by now SASS is all about making money no matter what they try and say! I'd prefer they'd be honest and tell us the reason for the changes is all about the almighty$$$$! :excl: I'm NOT against them makin' money but when you have customers complaining ya'll better do something about it. I've been self employed for almost 40 years I know just a little about customer service! :blink:

I don't mind the PDF copy. In fact, I enjoy reading books on my iPad and find the PDF to be a satisfactory way to read CC. However, the "digital" version is unusable to me. In my daily work life, I'm an IT professional. Been in the IT industry for 34 years and have done everything from mainframe programming, web design, web content creation, and project management (current role). Reason for my resume? to add some credibility for the following comments.

The Digital version:

Navigation is horrible (truly horrible)

Font too small and clicking on page to make it bigger accentuates the truly horrible navigation

Loading time is unacceptable. (maybe they can fix this but on my high bandwidth network connection, the load time is still poor).

Embedded videos, while a cool feature are clumsy and awkward to use.

Until these issues of user friendly navigation, overall usability, bandwidth loading time and readability are resolved, I would STRONGLY encourage SASS to rethink the decision to delay PDF versions to 30 day lag time. Other than to try to force the customers (that would be us) to make behavior changes that customers do not want to make (again that would be us) there is no good reason to delay the PDF version.

At some point, any association or company has to realize they have limited ability to force behavior and preference changes upon customers (or members). SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting is something folks like to do, it is not something folks have to do. It should be a fun activity not Obamacare.

Guitar Slinger.

Guitar Slinger...YUP!

They need to hire someone with all the money they are saving that actually knows how to develop on line magazine content and web size optimization so we can view it on all size devices.

If they are indeed paying someone for this service, they should demand a refund!

I gotta say the elimination of the hard copy edition was the WORST mistake SASS ever made. BRING IT BACK.

So an increase in membership dues for all is acceptable to fund your desire?

Sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

You don't even have to answer here on the wire

Archived