SASS Wire Forum

Here is something to think about

Nixon was corrupt. He did horrible things to accomplish his goals. And boy did he have some impressive accomplishments!

http://us-presidents.findthebest.com/q/7/9699/What-were-President-Richard-Nixon-s-accomplishments

and they leave out his championing of the Equal Rights Amendment.

I know there are people that will never forgive his illegal actions-mostly they prefer the illegal actions of a more recent president

Prove to me that Nixon did anything for his own personal gain.

He made some bad choices in his associates and backed them long after he should have. Hr also resigned rather than drag the country through all the crap that was coming down at a time when we needed a focused leadership, not someone trying to defend his record and reputation.

I honestly believe that he could have proved his case, but the pukes in the country were determined to bring him down..... and look what we ended up with as time has gone by.

I will always believe that Nixon was ah honorable and upright man, and yo uhave to admit that he accomplished a lot that no one before nor since has even attempted.

Learn the facts, don't be like the sheeple who accept whatever BS is fed them by the media. That's for the anti-everything crowd and their minions.

He made some bad choices in his associates and backed them long after he should have. Hr also resigned rather than drag the country through all the crap that was coming down at a time when we needed a focused leadership, not someone trying to defend his record and reputation.

I honestly believe that he could have proved his case, but the pukes in the country were determined to bring him down..... and look what we ended up with as time has gone by.

I will always believe that Nixon was ah honorable and upright man, and yo uhave to admit that he accomplished a lot that no one before nor since has even attempted.

Learn the facts, don't be like the sheeple who accept whatever BS is fed them by the media. That's for the anti-everything crowd and their minions.

+ 1

i too have always been a supporter.

ADD ME TO THAT LIST. From my vantage point, he was a good man in a bad situation. He did what it took to get through in the never ending quagmire of Washington politics.

All I will say is that he could have selected others much more qualified for the term corrupt.

I doubt that the human being is capable of world peace. We just ALL ain't that smart, and greed

will overcome good will in a lot of important cases.

I don't know if I can prove to you. You seem to have made up your mind, facts be damned.

I guess Nixon agreeing to cover up the burglary at Watergate wasn't for his own personal gain? Is that corrupt? Using your official powers to protect yourself from the consequences of illegal activities conducted by your employees, i.e. ordering the CIA to obstruct the FBI? How about ordering your AG and his Deputy to fire the SP who was investigating you? Then asking for their resignations when they refused. Is that corrupt?

Maybe having your AG, your Chief of Staff, three or four of your personal attorneys, numerous aides and tons of people on the CRP all convicted of numerous offenses. Does that indicate that there might have been a bit of corruption in there? Not to mention your first VP had to resign. For a smart effective man (and I believe he was both) he sure could pick some good people to work with. Bad luck I guess.

In regard to Nixon, I will simply say that good people can do bad things, and bad people can do good things. I am not sure which he was, but I tend to think that he had traits of both that wrestled within him. I respect much of what Nixon did, but some of his acts simply can't be denied. I suppose that makes him human. It certainly makes him fallible.

In regard to the video itself, note at the end that it gives an "edited by..." bit. So, I would suggest listening to the words of Carl Sagan and find what value there is to be had in them rather than getting held in check by one particular image.

For some reason, the video reminded me of a picture of the earth, taken by Alan Shepard, if memory serves me correctly. On it, was a caption along the lines of "Here is a picture of everyone on the planet earth, except for Alan Shepard."

For my part I tend to think of corruption as something done for personal financial gain, such as a mayor taking a kickback from a builder wanting to get approval of a project, or something along those lines, but I'm not a lawer. Durring Nixon's presidency I had few good thoughts of him, it's only from a later perspective that I have come to other conclusions about him or his presidency. I do have his autograph from when he ran for Governor here in Ca. My mother knew him then.

Speaking of perspective

In regard to the video itself, note at the end that it gives an "edited by..." bit. So, I would suggest listening to the words of Carl Sagan and find what value there is to be had in them rather than getting held in check by one particular image.

I find this a good one.

I tend to agree with MDJ here. I don't think that Nixon actually did any of those things for his own personal selfish gains. To be quite honest, I think every president has done something similar, the differences being most did not get caught and many others DID do it for personal gain!! <_<

Of course Nixon did what he did for personal gain. He wanted to get re-elected and stay in power. And I believe he did not do much out of the ordinary from what other Presidents have done. He just got caught as others have mentioned. Lyndon Johnson comes to mind.

Archived