SASS Wire Forum

Ear Protection

Judge Lewis

I'm fairly new at SASS. I've tried various ear protection and not really found anything that I like. The small roll up plugs don't seem to want to stay in for long and the ones with a wire that go around the back of your head hurt. I don't want to wear ear muffs like I have seen some pards do. So what have you all found that works well? Thanks.

I am also interested. I have read of custom inserts being made. Are they expensive? Where would I go to consider them?

Thanks,

K.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037F92RC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These do the job and are comfortable and soft. Get a couple spares.

I use these, once or several times depending on how dirty they look when I remove them. 12 pieces per pack, I use one and split in half. Roll into a a cylinder about 1/8 to 3/16 diameter, place into ear and flatten out. Removes easily, does not fall out on it's own, and you forget it is there after 5 minutes. Extremely comfortable. They are sold at Walmart, Albertsons, Walgreen, CVS, just about any pharmacy.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ear-plugs/ID=361403-tier3

I use these, once or several times depending on how dirty they look when I remove them. 12 pieces per pack, I use one and split in half. Roll into a a cylinder about 1/8 to 3/16 diameter, place into ear and flatten out. Removes easily, does not fall out on it's own, and you forget it is there after 5 minutes. Extremely comfortable. They are sold at Walmart, Albertsons, Walgreen, CVS, just about any pharmacy.

Need the link Goody ;)

I use these. http://www.earplugstore.com/combat-arms-generation4.html The baffle can be opened when you want to talk and closed when the firing line is hot. Easier than taking them out to hear stage directions. They contain a bafle that reacts to impact noise like gunshots when the baffle is open so you are protected. With the baffle closed they attenuate all sound and not just gunfire.

Military is currently issuing them to troops.

The best protection is custom moulded ear plugs. If you are worried about the cost ask yourself how much your hearing is worth.

I like the custom molded kind. I like them so well, that my wife, Bea Itchin' and I went into the Earplug making business 15 years ago.

The custom molded really are the best and the best for the money, too. The wax ones are great for a loud concert, though. Some years ago I got a smokin' deal on some electronic ones. First a pair of analog and then some digital ones.

E.A.R inc, ESP and Sportear. They need a mold of your ear and do a hearing test. Since they are sold as hearing protection and not hearing aids they are about 1/2 the cost of hearing aids. You can hear the change in your pocket if you want to, but when a gun goes off it clips the sound in a nanosecond.

Even one report can damage hearing. I lost about 25% of mine in my right ear when a feller with a ported 10 ga took a goose on my end of the pit blind. Gave me a headache so bad I packed it up for the day.

Out here there is usually a custom molded ear plug outfit as a vendor. I've worn out two sets and just had my third made and they do a nice job. I have to remove my hearing aids to wear them but that's not a big deal. I think the newest set cost $55.00, but they are good for many years.

Radians makes a DIY custom molded plug kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B00JFCCBWO/ref=sr_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1412019496&sr=1-10&keywords=radians+molded+earplugs

I use these for CAS. They attenuate sound about as well as my 30 db earmuffs, and they're easier to wear under a cowboy hat. I bought some at the local Gander Mountain as well as online. I haven't worn out my first set yet but plan on replacing them a couple times a season depending on how much you shoot. They're not as sturdy as professionally made custom plugs.

I used the custom made ear plugs but had to remove them to hear anything. I started using my hearing aids since I lost one of the last pair I had made. It clips the loud notices, I hear everything and the fit very well. I did have trouble once getting one out when the weather was damp and humid it formed a Vacum when wax clogged the hole.

Guest Grass Range #51406

If you get to the Quigley Shoot in Montana there is a vendor who makes custom fit plugs for $35 ( when I bought mine anyway). Fit is much better than one size fits all

Many larger matches will have a vendor who makes the custom ear plugs. They are very comfortable if done right. If you get a chance, it's worth the $50 or $60 bucks. The guy I get my hearing aids from said he can make a pair from my mold for about the same money. I may try that next time.

CR

Selecting good hearing protection is complicated, becuase folks have such different ear canal shapes.

The best commonly-available hearing protection is actually the "disposable" foam plugs.

Foam plugs - 32 or 33 NRR (noise reduction ratio, or decibels of reduction for the techs in the group)

Custom-molded "silicone rubber" plugs - 30 NRR

Mold-yourself silicone rubber plug kits - 26 NRR

High-quality ear muffs - 26 NRR

For really high-noise areas - use ear plugs AND ear muffs.

But, some folks have problems wearing a certain type of hearing protection. I've got an ear canal shape that is tapered. Molded plugs just will NOT stay in my ear. As soon as I move my jaw a little, at least one plug loosens enough to let in loud sounds.

Even making a foam ear plug stay in is difficult. I have to pull the ear up and back to straighten out the canal (using off hand over the top of my head), then insert the rolled foam plug in pretty far, then release plug to let it start expanding, then release my ear. That will usually stay all day.

Some folks find the foam plug makes their ear hurt. Usually they need a "ladies" size foam plug because they have real small ear canals.

So, it's not always the most expensive hearing protection gear that works best for you. I'd suggest trying foam plugs first, as you may find a 75 cent pair of plugs that you can wash and wear a dozen times may be cheaper and more protection than the custom molded rubber plugs. If you try foam plugs, get the tapered kind that fit the ear - not the cylinders which hurt lots of shooters' ears.

Good luck, GJ

I've had problems with the custom formed ear plugs. I spend $50 or more, they work fine for a month, then they start to hurt. I've been through this cycle a number of times. I guess my ears just change shape.

For the past few years, I've settled on these:

http://earplugsonline.com/best-ear-plugs/

They work great and are relatively inexpensive.

Laz

GJ

That technique is exactly how the Navy taught me to put in my ear plugs. You are also spot on about ear canal size. Plugs that are too large or small can be a real problem. I use the foam type a lot at work but I cannot hear stage directions using them and went to the ones I posted above. I have another set that is similar but they are not 1/2 as good as the set I am currently using.

Howdy

I have been using the foam disposable plugs for years. I can leave them in all day and they don't hurt.

Pay attention to what GJ said about how to put them in.

I had a pair of custom plugs made a few years ago. They drove me crazy. The string that connects them acts as an amplifier and every time I moved I had all the sounds jangling in my ears. The other thing to be aware of with custom made plugs is that your ear canals may change over time. You may find the custom plugs don't fit so well anymore and they are letting in sounds.

The disposables are great. I buy them in a jug off a few hundred. Plenty of noise reduction if you take the time to put them in correctly. Then just throw them away and put in another pair.

I use a brand called "AO Safety" from a local home center. They come in a round white container and work well for me. Yes, you do have to loosen or remove them sometimes to hear stage directions but they are so comfortable I keep a pair (minus the cord holding them together) to wear at night.

Before giving up on foam plugs try this: reach over your head, pinch the top of your ear and pull it up firmly. This will straighten your ear canal. With your other hand, roll the foam plug into a little "snake" between your thumb and fingers, then insert the plug deeply into your ear. This should keep the plug from walking out of your ear.

When I started shooting cowboy I used the Radian mold-it-yourself earplugs. They worked quite well for me. After a couple of years I had a pair of custom molded plugs made by a vendor at our state match. Those were so effective I had a hard time conversing. I am now wearing a second set of custom plugs that have channels in them. They are better, and less expensive than electronic plugs.

I have to loosen my molded plugs up to hear the buzzer. Then take them completely out to hear stage directions. Then seat em deep when I run the clock, especially for black powder shooters. I can hear just fine, the ringing in my ears is very loud even when I sleep! There's gotta be a better way!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037F92RC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These do the job and are comfortable and soft. Get a couple spares.

These are especially effective if you moisten them before inserting into the ear canal. Wetting them with spit or rubbing alcohol makes them slide in easier and increases the noise reduction. I hang a pair on my lawn mower, rinse them with rubbing alcohol before mowing my lawn and have no problems with ear infections reusing the same plugs for over a year now. How's that for cheap??!! In fact the noise reduction is so good I DONT normally use them for cowboy action shooting because I would have to remove them to carry on a conversation or hear the timer beep. I use the soft disposable kind for shooting. Don't rinse those with alcohol; they will melt.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I will buy a couple of different ones and see which one works for me.

After a year of wearing the ones I got from Dillon, I went to the local ear protection place and ordered a pair of custom fitted molded ones.

I'll have them in a couple weeks then I'll know.

Frenchy

Archived