SASS Wire Forum

Ruger's new AR556 - gas impingement

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate 40 rd mags. Too dang heavy.

Tru dat.

But, it's only for HD - where you may only have time to grab the carbine with what's already in it.

Badger, Methinks, that if it was a little pricey, and muzzle heavy then you more than likely held a SR556.......not the AR556. But I could be wrong. The full msrp for the AR556 is 749.00, The SR556 is piston driven and I believe a long barrel (20 inch)., and the price is about 1300.00 Whereas the AR556 has a 16 inch barrel and is direct impingment operating system. Them letters in front of the 556 is kind of important, when checking.

No, It was definitely the AR 556 New model. Not all that heavy, just nose heavy, Like we said, put in a mag with 20 or 30 rounds and it would balance out. Got a few more places to check for a better price. Sure lockes up tight.

No, It was definitely the AR 556 New model. Not all that heavy, just nose heavy, Like we said, put in a mag with 20 or 30 rounds and it would balance out. Got a few more places to check for a better price. Sure lockes up tight.

Looks like it has a 'heavy' barrel. My 6721 is muzzle heavy, but doesn't bother me a bit. My only plan on any addition to it is an optic someday. Not into addng lights, lasers, bi-pods, cup holders ( :P ) on this particular carbine.

GG

I am in agreement with you on that. Being old school, I personally don't want to hang my accoutrements off of the frame of my rifle. Besides, I don't have an I pad. :)

ED: My TAKE THAT A HEAVY BARREL IS NOT A BAD THING.

Looks like it has a 'heavy' barrel. My 6721 is muzzle heavy, but doesn't bother me a bit. My only plan on any addition to it is an optic someday. Not into addng lights, lasers, bi-pods, cup holders ( :P ) on this particular carbine.

GG

Badg is obviously used to holding only lite beers. ;)

And yeah, light and simple is the way to go. I always scratch my head at the mall ninjas loading 10 pounds of "tactical" accessories on a 6.5 pound rifle. Although... I do have a "tactical" light/ laser hung off the front of my HD AR. And a sling... and a...

Badg is obviously used to holding only lite beers. ;)

And yeah, light and simple is the way to go. I always scratch my head at the mall ninjas loading 10 pounds of "tactical" accessories on a 6.5 pound rifle. Although... I do have a "tactical" light/ laser hung off the front of my HD AR. And a sling... and a...

I can see that for true tactical scenarios like SWAT or Special Ops stuff.... For me, a simple defense carbine is all I am after.... Of course my light weight Mini14 covers that scenario too I imagine.

GG

Well guys, I couldn't find a platform big enough to hang the radar antenna from, and no place for the screen to boot.

And then there was the launch platform for the chopper, where do I put that? I did figure that I could launch the drone

with a big rubber band, off the port side of the piece tho. That took some planning but with the help of the lite beer (several)

I think I pulled it off. Can't remember. Now if I could just figure out where to put the FDC and Communications shack, all would be good.

BMC

this be DIRECT fire , ya don't need a FDC or a spotter

ya can always use the RED RIDER , to beat the bad guys back :lol:

CB

Well, Chickasaw, we DO have some huge ZOMBIES here in the PNW woods.....

Well guys, I couldn't find a platform big enough to hang the radar antenna from, and no place for the screen to boot.

And then there was the launch platform for the chopper, where do I put that? I did figure that I could launch the drone

with a big rubber band, off the port side of the piece tho. That took some planning but with the help of the lite beer (several)

I think I pulled it off. Can't remember. Now if I could just figure out where to put the FDC and Communications shack, all would be good.

LOL!

Badg, you obviously understand far more of the "tactical" world than you let on. ;)

IT went in, but there was no back stop, Gunner.

And Zip, richt out the other side.

Mom always said that was a fault of mine.

Now my wife has taken up the crusade.

So you AR fellows see how it works now. :D

The bolt release is on the left side, correct?? :blink::unsure:

IT went in, but there was no back stop, Gunner.

And Zip, richt out the other side.

Mom always said that was a fault of mine.

Now my wife has taken up the crusade.

So you AR fellows see how it works now. :D

The bolt release is on the left side, correct?? :blink::unsure:

Yes

Never a good idea to look from the muzzle end, :D

The trigger is 'rite' whare it should be--- :lol:

The only thing hang'n on mine is the ACOG sight, 'white' light/red laser combo.

I'm good from across the room to 800yds. Without any sight adjustments.

LG

That.

The trigger is 'rite' whare it should be--- :lol:

The only thing hang'n on mine is the ACOG sight, 'white' light/red laser combo.

I'm good from across the room to 800yds. Without any sight adjustments.

LG

SO NOW LUMPY THROWS A TRIGGER GROUP INTO THE MIX.

I get soooooo confused. :unsure:

SO NOW LUMPY THROWS A TRIGGER GROUP INTO THE MIX.

I get soooooo confused. :unsure:

Just more fun. Drop in trigger groups are an easy customizing trick. Differnt types depending on what purpose you intend.

Long range, bench, 3-gun competition, etc. I put a CMC in my rifle.

Here's a good article.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/gunsmithing/the-best-ar-15-triggers-on-the-market/

Bob, I can't see 600 yards, let alone find the sweet spot. :lol:

Good article tho, thanks.

Nor can I, old boy. Nor can I. :D

For one schooled in pick your target, pick your shot, I find the current spray and pray mind set of some of the mall ninjas, baffling.

I saw a video the other day of a fellow loading up to go to the range. He had more "tactical"gear than a Army Ranger. Of course he was decked out in camo from head to foot and had his wannabe combat boots.

I don't think that presentation helps us law abiding gun owners, Not that this guy wasn't law abiding, he just put forth a negative image, to my reckoning.

If a man had bought him a store specializing in all things "tactical" from socks sunglasses to screwdrivers to ball caps, he'd be sitting pretty right now.

You are correct about that. Bob. Guess Basic Training is too mundane for them. :lol:

I think I am getting the idea on the M 16 thingy. I would guess that firing two or three round

burst at a concealed enemy would be the plan, and a full auto for several in the open attacking

at about 20 yards?

With the old Garand we had to wait for the B.A.R. to speak for full auto. I don't recall ever

seeing a grease gun or Tommy gun in the mix.

You are correct about that. Bob. Guess Basic Training is too mundane for them. :lol:

I think I am getting the idea on the M 16 thingy. I would guess that firing two or three round

burst at a concealed enemy would be the plan, and a full auto for several in the open attacking

at about 20 yards?

With the old Garand we had to wait for the B.A.R. to speak for full auto. I don't recall ever

seeing a grease gun or Tommy gun in the mix.

M3 and Thompson are great for close work. Heavy brush or building clearing. Not much good for longer distances. That's where the AR has an advantage. One of our VFW guys carried a Thompson in the Pacific. He said it was great in the jungle. But when they got to the farmlands on Okinawa, not so much.

So true. I didn't see a lot of jungle in Germany. Did you? :)

That B.A.R. was a hoot to shoot. Did you ever get a chance

to send some -06 down range with it? The best I could do

was five round burst. Could not get the three rounds to work

for me. Clumsy trigger finger I guess.

Fired em a few times. Bit of a handful for a squirt for me. And I did not enjoy trying to get the dang bolt back in after disassembly.

I was lucky. All we got was a familiarization exercise at the 1000' range. Gave us two magazines, one with twenty rounds and one with

five. We fired the short magazine, dropped it and then fired the fat one. Got up and let the next guy have a go at it. Some other

trooper got the job of cleaning it. I guess I spent enough time working on my Garand, with the pitted bore. That rifle cost me a lot

of passes to town. Couldn't get another from the armorer. Captain Geddis didn't like that rifle on Saturday mornings. :lol:

Another question. I suspect that I already know the answer to this, but I will ask anyway.

On the Ruger AR 556, would it accept the following Mags?

Magpul PMAG GEN M2 MOE

I presume that they are all pretty standard, no?

Archived