SASS Wire Forum

Ruger's new AR556 - gas impingement

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I am pretty dense about mechanical things. I can't just read about it but need to have some hands on time.

Thinking of going back to look at that colt at the LGS if it is still there. Not even sure what model it was.

If my wife was feeling better, I would drive down to Fife and look as some in the candy store.

I am beginning to like that .223 round a lot, and I have never fired one.

The CMP boys are shooting this week end so I may get a chance to drive over and see what they got.

I know they have some Garands and M1As as well as a few black rifles.

I guess I am pretty dense about mechanical things. I can't just read about it but need to have some hands on time.

Thinking of going back to look at that colt at the LGS if it is still there. Not even sure what model it was.

If my wife was feeling better, I would drive down to Fife and look as some in the candy store.

I am beginning to like that .223 round a lot, and I have never fired one.

The CMP boys are shooting this week end so I may get a chance to drive over and see what they got.

I know they have some Garands and M1As as well as a few black rifles.

Then get your hands on one dammit! ;)

GG

If you want to see anything that might not be covered on the vids and photos you've seen, I can do a short custom video for ya showing whatever you want.

Except how to pay for one. ;)

Thanks Bob. I think I am now in the look and see what I can find stage.

I have a couple of local shops to check out and the CMP boys are

scheduled to shoot this week end at the range. They have a few ARs

in their inventory. Perhaps I can go over and annoy them for a while.

I want to take a look at that Colt again, if it is still there, and check out some

others shops too.

Down side is that Momma is not doing so well and I don't want to go off and

leave her for too long.

So the journey goes on. Thanks again for your kind and generous offer.

I really appreciate your offer f

Well, good luck finding them. Everybody has heard of them, but no body has them.

Even Davidson's has their supply, "allocated". Northing new there. Any popular firearm

is "allocated" on their web site. What this country needs is a good $0.05 cigar and

MORE GUN MAKERS.

One thing you will really like, is the low recoil vs. power of the cartridge.

I own Colt and Armalite-I would trust my life with either.

Would like to get some 'hands-on' with the Ruger.

LG

Come visit....I'll let you have some hands-on time with my AR556 Ruger. :D By the way, the "tactical disease" has started...I ordered a Timney trigger for it, couldnt stand the 8-9 pound pull on the trigger group that came with it. Better hurry though, as the Billionaires in Seattle and New York, are attempting to buy their way of what they perceive as "reasonable gun control" for the lower classes with I-594.

Well, good luck finding them. Everybody has heard of them, but no body has them.

Even Davidson's has their supply, "allocated". Northing new there. Any popular firearm

is "allocated" on their web site. What this country needs is a good $0.05 cigar and

MORE GUN MAKERS.

I got mine at Ranch and Home in Kennewick...

I suspect Ruger's cranking them out as fast as they can, juts like the Scout Rifle.

Demand and supply. They'll show up eventually.

Badg, when you come down to St Looey for your $50 drink, we'll put Calam's AR in your hands for sum chutin'.

You won't mind that it's pink, right?

Keep askin' away -- I've learned a lot from this thread.

On thing that I did learn in addition to the AR Stuff was that Otis makes a cleaning kit that consist of vinly covered wire with brass attachments on it. They also have a tool in it called a B.O.N.E. that is used to clean the baked on carbon off the bolt, bolt carrier and firing pin. Not sure if it is a gimmick or a useful tool. The seem to be proud of the kit, but there is a lot of stuff in it. Lots of hype on Youtube about lubes and cleaners, just as there is about M1 products. But as I read, I sift out the chaff and look for the kernels.

On thing that I did learn in addition to the AR Stuff was that Otis makes a cleaning kit that consist of vinly covered wire with brass attachments on it. They also have a tool in it called a B.O.N.E. that is used to clean the baked on carbon off the bolt, bolt carrier and firing pin. Not sure if it is a gimmick or a useful tool. The seem to be proud of the kit, but there is a lot of stuff in it. Lots of hype on Youtube about lubes and cleaners, just as there is about M1 products. But as I read, I sift out the chaff and look for the kernels.

I use a rod and any bore solvent within reach.

Same for oil.

I do use a chamber guide and clean from the breech only.

K.I.S.S.

LG

I have a cheap pull through rig along with a bore snake for my Garand.

Kinda hard to clean from the breech on one of those hummers.

Somewhere around here I have a bore snake for a .223. I thought it might

be for a .22 Lr bore but it didn't work out. DOH.

I don't seen anything that I might need in the way of cleaning supplies except

perhaos some powder blast that was recommended for the bolt carrier. Of course

I don't have a bolt carrier right now, so I guess there is no hurry.

Need to run into town before long and I will stop at the candy store and see if he

has anything on the Rugers and maybe a can of PB. Got plenty of CLP.

Lumps, I know I'm gonna regret asking... but why don't you like bore snakes? I think they're the greatest thing since the 'Boma Mute Button on the tele.

And I should have never given you the '86 back. But then, I nearly got kilt when I misplaced your fired .45-70 cases...

NO precision target shooter I know will touch'em

B'snakes don't clean-You keep put'n the crud back in the gun with each pass.

Don't clean bottleneck chambers at all.

They do nut'n to remove'n bullet fouling, whether lead or jacket'd.

Seen many of them break, leav'n the 'body' inside the bore(mostly .22 cal).

Have used a bore-scope on many B/S clean'd bores, the fouling left inside is shocking.

Rod and brush will always be what I use.

The 4, .45-70 cases was just a diversion--HUH :lol:

You should see the '86 now, with the oil finish'd stock instead of the poly/epoxy finish that was on it. ;)

BTW-One of the very best all-around bore-cleaners I have ever found(besides Eezox)is a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and Turpentine. Been using that brew since Hoppe's took the Benzene out of #9.

LG

I have an Otis B.O.N.E. tool and it works pretty good for removing carbon from the tail of the bolt and the bolt carrier.

In regard to boresnakes, I really don't find them that useful for cleaning up after shooting smokeless ammo. I do keep one in my hunting pack, but that is mainly for quick use in the field. Where they really work well is in cleaning up black powder fouling. At reenactments I'll run a snake completely saturated with Ballistol and water mix through the bore of my carbine. one or two pulls usually will do it. BTW, black powder blanks are really dirty. I then follow with another snake saturated with ballistol and a little bit of bore butter on the last part of the tail. After the reenactment, I clean the snakes in the laundry machine. As the BP crud and solvents are mostly water soluble, this cleans them very well.

Well, I can no longer say that I have not held a black rifle (AR Type).

I found a Ruger AR 556 at one of the local dealers. His price was a

little on the high side. Want to look around some more and at some

other brands.

What surprised me, was how muzzle heavy it is. I suppose a full mag would

balance that out.

BUT, I HAS SEEN THE VARMINT!

210 rounds is a basic combat load. 7 mags. ;)

Badger, Methinks, that if it was a little pricey, and muzzle heavy then you more than likely held a SR556.......not the AR556. But I could be wrong. The full msrp for the AR556 is 749.00, The SR556 is piston driven and I believe a long barrel (20 inch)., and the price is about 1300.00 Whereas the AR556 has a 16 inch barrel and is direct impingment operating system. Them letters in front of the 556 is kind of important, when checking.

Don't forget the Magpul 40 rounders. Really helpful for the "Come-As-You-Are" home-defense situations.

BMC

I won't start one , BUT , I dang well want to finish it , if it happens

I had 2 saw pouches on my web gear , held 6 mags each , plus 2 , 2 mag pouches for the 1911 and the 45

CB

I can't see Badger needing more than a basic load up there in the great Nortwet.

Unless he gets attacked by an Ebola infected ISIS hoard high on legal weed.

In which case, he only needs to keep the last round for hisself. ;)

Archived