SASS Wire Forum

Ruger's new AR556 - gas impingement

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess that the Ruger AR 556 is too new to have many reports on. Looked at the Colt LE6721, and the S&W but I want to talk to my LGD buddy.

The 6721 is a fine rifle.... And being a Colt. Well... Nuff said. ;)

GG

The standard AR-15 D-ring pulls straight back, not too difficult by hand, and with a 15 dollar tool, it's easy.

The Ruger screw D-Ring is a nice option, but it may limit choices of handguards. I also worry about the Ruger loosening up on recoil - not a concern with the standard spring D-ring.

Class, repeat after me: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!" ;)

The standard AR-15 D-ring pulls straight back, not too difficult by hand, and with a 15 dollar tool, it's easy.

The Ruger screw D-Ring is a nice option, but it may limit choices of handguards. I also worry about the Ruger loosening up on recoil - not a concern with the standard spring D-ring.

May not be broke.... But can slways be improved ;)

GG

Don't know but I don't think they would design a locking ring that wouldn't accept 90% of the after market handguards out there. That would be really dumb. Also don't know if the ring is also spring tensioned to help keep it in place. That's the way I would have designed it. But I've had more problems with things loosening up on a Vaquero due to recoil than I ever have on an AR.

It would appear to a nimrod like me, that the AR platform is a tinker's dream. Everything is like a leggo set, parts all interlock.

I like the looks of the Ruger, but I learned in high school that looks are not the best thing to judge the situation. Sometimes

you need hands on experience. Of course that could get you in trouble, big trouble.

The Ruger folks seem to be developing a market by creating a need with no supply to fill it. I have not been able to find

one to look at. The price point looks attractive but if I can find something that will fit the bill that runs a bit more, so be it.

Let us face it, my usage would at best, be a trip to the range as time would allow. An I have enough virtual guns to shoot

if I didn't have an AR.

As far as the ZOMBIES go, well, Holloween is coming and I may have a few in the driveway, but they will most likely have a candy collection bag in hand. Not something that you would want to take a shot at.

But the long and short of it is, once you get the fever, I guess one needs to feed it.

Ed: I suppose that magazines are all interchangeable also? I found a four pac of 30 round magpul magazines. They are plastic. Is that the ticket?

Having followed this thread for the last few days.....it has caused me to purchase the Ruger AR556. This is my first mattel in 46 years. Because I really "justified the purchase" by planning on shooting a coyote or two that has been working my property....I think I need a nice scope to put on it (my 68 year old eyes are no longer the 20-15 of my youth). Because of the A2 front sight, what is the best scope and what rings/mount do you suggest?

It would appear to a nimrod like me, that the AR platform is a tinker's dream. Everything is like a leggo set, parts all interlock.

I like the looks of the Ruger, but I learned in high school that looks are not the best thing to judge the situation. Sometimes

you need hands on experience. Of course that could get you in trouble, big trouble.

The Ruger folks seem to be developing a market by creating a need with no supply to fill it. I have not been able to find

one to look at. The price point looks attractive but if I can find something that will fit the bill that runs a bit more, so be it.

Let us face it, my usage would at best, be a trip to the range as time would allow. An I have enough virtual guns to shoot

if I didn't have an AR.

As far as the ZOMBIES go, well, Holloween is coming and I may have a few in the driveway, but they will most likely have a candy collection bag in hand. Not something that you would want to take a shot at.

But the long and short of it is, once you get the fever, I guess one needs to feed it.

Ed: I suppose that magazines are all interchangeable also? I found a four pac of 30 round magpul magazines. They are plastic. Is that the ticket?

Magpuls rock..... Unless Ruger did what they did with the Mini 14 which won't take AR15 mags. :angry:

I just don't see thatRuger is trying to create a market. They're just entering an existing one. Sme of us wish they would have done it before now.

Very true, UB... but after all these decades in aerospace, an engineer saying "I can make it better" causes a certain... clenching. :ph34r:

JTP, good on you! What range for the 'yotes? If inside 100yrds and you don't have much of an astigmatism, a red dot is a good choice. Me likey the Bushnell Trophy 25 or 28 (shown) for their very good value for the money. However, the 28's supplied rings aren't worth a sitting president. I used a pair of AccuShot Premium 30mm Weaver Style See-Thru High-Profile Rings for $15. The 28 and AS rings work great on my 6.8 AR-15. However, in the future I'll probably be putting a Leupold 1x4 AccuDot on the rifle to take advantage of the 6.8's range.

41NnP3x2dJL.jpg

But dem 'yotes are a devious bunch, you might need to go longer. There are a LOT of variable scopes for the AR-15. But the important thing is to HAVE ONE! ;)

See what Utah Bob used on the Pack Rat. I did a good job of doing him in, apparehntly.

I am a little bit upset that I didn't get an invitation to the wake, but, well heck, the drive

was kinda far.

I don't think he was shooting fifty yards or so. Maybe 10?

I watched a vid on disassembly of a gas piston rifle. I think it was a Ruger.

Man that is a lot of gunsmithing just to clean off the bolt face. I think I like

the gas impingement system better.

Thanks for the info Uno Mas. I will definitely look into your suggestions. The range that I will be shooting at the coyote from (assuming that I can actually call one in) will probably be between 50 and 200 yards, down a small canyon. I am leaning toward a variable scope..will have to check out the 1x4.

By the way the AR556 came with one 30 round magpul gen 2 magazine.

Thanks for the info Uno Mas. I will definitely look into your suggestions. The range that I will be shooting at the coyote from (assuming that I can actually call one in) will probably be between 50 and 200 yards, down a small canyon. I am leaning toward a variable scope..will have to check out the 1x4.

By the way the AR556 came with one 30 round magpul gen 2 magazine.

Thanks for that info. I believe that is what I was looking at.

ED: Yep, dis one

Magpul PMAG GEN M2 MOE

I see that Uno, the Enabler is at work on scopes now. Jeeez Uno, you, Gunner, and Bob have me in

enough trouble now.

Thanks for that info. I believe that is what I was looking at.

ED: Yep, dis one

Magpul PMAG GEN M2 MOE

I see that Uno, the Enabler is at work on scopes now. Jeeez Uno, you, Gunner, and Bob have me in

enough trouble now.

Ya know, yuz guys gave me that bad case of Leveritus, it's only fair that that I reciprocate with BRD (Black Rifle Disease.) ;)

ACOG is the best 'glass', and you don't need no dang batteries- ;):lol:

LG

This may be true....but the AR556 cost 599.99 plus tax out the door.....the cheapest ACOG glass that I could find would require a mortgage on the house. Think a fella could buy a lot of batteries and still be ahead of the game. <_<:D

This may be true....but the AR556 cost 599.99 plus tax out the door.....the cheapest ACOG glass that I could find would require a mortgage on the house. Think a fella could buy a lot of batteries and still be ahead of the game. <_<:D

I agree, J.T.

Of course, I haven 't reached the $599.99 part yet. But I am looking. :D

The ACOG is the Cadillac of optics. If you're going into combat it's a good thing to have. But for a geezer like me the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot for under 200 bucks works just fine, Co-witnessed to my Magpul popup sights. It holds it'szero very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-StrikeFire-Green-Sight-Cantilever/dp/B00MAJKX9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-opmod-strikefire-ii-red-dot-with-cantilever-ar-15-mount-4moa-red-green-do.html

To be serious for once: In these crazy times, an AR makes a whole lot of sense for home and neighborhood defense.

OR till the circuit dies----- ;)

Cry once and buy the best. -_-

LG

The ACOG is the Cadillac of optics. If you're going into combat it's a good thing to have. But for a geezer like me the Vortex Strikefire red/green dot for under 200 bucks works just fine, Co-witnessed to my Magpul popup sights. It holds it'szero very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-StrikeFire-Green-Sight-Cantilever/dp/B00MAJKX9M/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-opmod-strikefire-ii-red-dot-with-cantilever-ar-15-mount-4moa-red-green-do.html

Agree with Bob 110%, about the Vortex quality. I had one while saving for my ACOG, TA31G(green reticule)

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31F

When I received my ACOG. I then gave the Vortex to my son.

LG

This new Burris is getting a lot of good buzz. Plus, if the batteries carp out, there's a reticule etched on the glass. Anyone played with it? http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar1x.html

AR-1X.jpg

Archived