SASS Wire Forum

Ruger's new AR556 - gas impingement

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoner's original design was for "direct Impingement". Why fix something that ain't broken. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I had to get it out there.

Gas piston guns supposedly run better when hot (and I do mean hot), are easier to clean, and work better if you use a suppressor. If you are using an AR to fool around with, the DI system is just fine. If you are into heavy competition, a Gas Piston system might be worth looking at.

OK, back with another question.

What is the advantage of a Gas piston gun, over a Direct Impingement gun, other than a cleaner upper receiver?

Heres a look at the benefit of the direct impingment...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/19/the-case-for-direct-impingement-ar-15s/

GG

Thanks Gunner. So I take it that the reason the Army had problems with the initial M16 was a dirty

bolt and bolt carrier? Keep it clean and keep it dancing, so to speak? I would imagine a day at the

range and clean when you get home would do just dandy?

Thanks Gunner. So I take it that the reason the Army had problems with the initial M16 was a dirty

bolt and bolt carrier? Keep it clean and keep it dancing, so to speak? I would imagine a day at the

range and clean when you get home would do just dandy?

The military changed the powder for the 5.56:round and failed to chrome the barrels to save money. This decision killed people. A clean powder and good lube will keep the little black rifle running just fine.mI use IMR3031 and Militec1 lube.

I have a bit of an ocd habit of cleaning every gun after I shoot it.

I think it's a good habit. ;)

A clean firearm is a good firearm.

I too, like to clean after shooting.

So now I am getting into the feel of things, I hear a lot about chrome in the barrel and action.

Is this a good thing or not? Do all barrels come with a chrome lining and what about the bolt

and bolt carrier? Should these be chrome. How is it affected by the hot gases?

So many questions and I am so uninformed.

Chrome is a very good thing. The Russians realized this andchromed the AK. It is resistant to wear and corrosion and cleaning is easier. Not necessary to chrome the bolt carrier in my opinion but there are some nice bolt treatments available like boron.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/ar-15-bolt-carrier-group-exo-treated-nickel-boron-prod27448.aspx

So this is a drop in replacement if you want to spend the bucks?

I saw something on U tube (Every thing n U tube is gospel) about cleaning chrome

parts with harsh chemicals. What cleaning solvents would be good for the parts?

I like the Shooters Choice foam for barrels, and then a good coat of Hoppes #9.

Is that too old fashion for the Black Rifle?

The only thing I've seen about Shooter's Choice in chromed bores is is a caution to not leave it in too long, like overnight. Normal cleaning should be okay.

I like Militec and Break Free myself.

And Hoppes is too old fashioned for any rifle. :D

I use the Shooters Choice on really dirty bores and a good oil after. It cleaned up my Enfield right purdy and even tightened the group. I don't always use Shooters choice, but when I do, I drink Moosehead. Stay thirsty my friend. :)

I use Breakfree CLP on just about everything. Makes the parts slide like glass. Never used Milltec. Never heard of it.

Guess I am just a dummy. I do know about Hoppes #9.

Badg, put down your $50 drink, AND BUY AN AR-15!

1) Everyone needs an AR-15; for self-defense, home-defense, and I quote; " 'Boma don't want you to have none"

2) You can get into a basic, very good quality AR for less than $600 (S&W M&P15 Sport and many others)

3) It's like Barbies for men: Black Rifle Disease -- everyone's catching it.

4) More than likely you'll get another, then another, then build one -- you might as well get started

5) They are just that fun -- and good

6) Once you have one in your hands, it will all become clearer

;)

LGS was full up today so I went to the gun range and watched them shoot clays. One fellow there made me feel real good.

I think he hit about six out of fifty. I might be able to best that by a few.

If I buy a black rifle can I come live at your house? Momma will probably kick me that far..... :lol:

One of the down sides of this thing is the amount of ammunition they eat. As hard as it is to come by.

the cost of it and all, kinda gives me pause.

LGS was full up today so I went to the gun range and watched them shoot clays. One fellow there made me feel real good.

If I buy a black rifle can I come live at your house? Momma will probably kick me that far..... :lol:

One of the down sides of this thing is the amount of ammunition they eat. As hard as it is to come by.

Huh?....A great rifle for under $700.... Ammo?reload or for now buy in bulk. Not much more than anything else to shoot witjout prejudice 'cept 22 LR.

O'tay, if'n we meet up in St Loueey, I'll put a AR in your hands. I think Calam will even let you shoot her pink one.

I'm seeing deals for 5.56 33 to 35 cents apiece if bought in bulk. To the better, 5.56 brass is widely available and cheap, if you roll your own.

If you're looking to sneak into the world of ARs, you might consider the S&W M&P15-22. It looks and feels and works like an AR - but it shoots .22LR. I've got one - the MOE variant - and like it a whole lot.

s_w-m_p15-22-16-sr-1.jpg

Just burnt through a few mags an hour ago. When I came back in the house the wife said, "What? You're done already?" :lol:

Reloading is a must if you're shooting a lot. Even if you don't reload, the ammo prices are much better now than a year ago. It's just a fun rifle to shoot. Pleasant recoil and a zippy bullet. :)

12912800x643.jpg

3da25b.jpg

Just burnt through a few mags an hour ago. When I came back in the house the wife said, "What? You're done already?" :lol:

Reloading is a must if you're shooting a lot. Even if you don't reload, the ammo prices are much better now than a year ago. It's just a fun rifle to shoot. Pleasant recoil and a zippy bullet. :)

12912800x643.jpg

3da25b.jpg

Yeah, reloading would be the way to go, but that means new dies, brass, bullets, powder primers, etc.

I can't get out to shoot what I have, so I would put it on hold for a while. At least until I get the OK from

the medics.

O'tay, if'n we meet up in St Loueey, I'll put a AR in your hands. I think Calam will even let you shoot her pink one.

I'm seeing deals for 5.56 33 to 35 cents apiece if bought in bulk. To the better, 5.56 brass is widely available and cheap, if you roll your own.

If you're looking to sneak into the world of ARs, you might consider the S&W M&P15-22. It looks and feels and works like an AR - but it shoots .22LR. I've got one - the MOE variant - and like it a whole lot.

s_w-m_p15-22-16-sr-1.jpg

Are you the devil's advocate, Uno?

Huh?....A great rifle for under $700.... Ammo?reload or for now buy in bulk. Not much more than anything else to shoot witjout prejudice 'cept 22 LR.

I reckon reloading would be the best bet. Around here, the .22 LR still are not all that available.

I guess one would have to dig a bit deeper. But if I went Black Rifle, I would go 5.56 Nato

Most all of the ARs on the market are rated for 5.56.

I shoot .223 for plinking and have 5.56 for the apocalypse.

Yeah, reloading would be the way to go, but that means new dies, brass, bullets, powder primers, etc.

I can't get out to shoot what I have, so I would put it on hold for a while. At least until I get the OK from

the medics.

Are you the devil's advocate, Uno?

I reckon reloading would be the best bet. Around here, the .22 LR still are not all that available.

I guess one would have to dig a bit deeper. But if I went Black Rifle, I would go 5.56 Nato

You betcha! And Enabler in Chief... Just buy sumthin'!

Ground hogs are my friend.

You are obviously not a farmer. :D

You are obviously not a farmer. :D

Bob, we got critters from all over out there. Caught a doe eating my plumb tree yesterday. She looked at me as if to say, "What is your problem, buster?"

Rabbits, squirrels, hawks, owls, deer and probably a few song dogs as well. My neighbor had goats so we get Harriet's complaining calls. :)

Bob, we got critters from all over out there. Caught a doe eating my plumb tree yesterday. She looked at me as if to say, "What is your problem, buster?"

Rabbits, squirrels, hawks, owls, deer and probably a few song dogs as well. My neighbor had goats so we get Harriet's complaining calls. :)

Maybe you got critters, but if you were a farmer the ground hog would not be yore friend. :D

Maybe you got critters, but if you were a farmer the ground hog would not be yore friend. :D

Yup... Them and chipmunks.

Cute in Bambi's world though :D

GG

So, RCBS makes a two die set for the 5.56/.223?

Good price on that die, but I don't have a rifle.

Then there is the bullets, the primers and maybe the powder.

Cartridges for sure, for sure.

I am not certain about the rifle producers? So many.

Looking at Colt, Ruger and S&W, but I just don't know.

How long have you been an enabler, Uno? :lol:

Jeebus - been into black rifles for 35? years. A friend had a Colt SP-1 Sporter that I just about shot the rifling out of. Lately, I bought a S&W M&P15 Sport and built a 6.8 SPC II AR that is shooting (barely) less than a MOA. Then there's the M&P15-22 that's just googles of fun to shoot and has introduced many to the Modern Sporting Rifles, inoculating them against the foolishness of the media and politicians.

They are a tremendoulsy fun guns to shoot and configurable to your hearts content. Quite frankly, they're also comforting in these crazy times. And Prez Ebola "Don't want you to have none."

Archived