SASS Wire Forum

Ruger's new AR556 - gas impingement

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a great rifle. I don't really need one, but I'd consider it if I did. This is a "gas impingement" action. Is that similar to the original design, rather than a piston-operated one? The only problem I see is for Colorado residents, as you cannot buy, own or possess a magazine with greater than 15 round capacity, unless you purchased the magazine prior to the restrictive law that went into effect a year or so ago! :angry: It's a stupid law, and some law enforcement agencies have said they won't enforce it. But why take the chance? Mag-Pul left the state because of this. It is stupid because all you have to do is take two or three fifteen-round mags and tape them back-to-back.. What is needed is better mental health care for people with such problems that they are tempted to go rogue. There was plenty of evidence that the alleged shooter in the Aurora, Colorado, had serious problems, but it was (allegedly) ignored by various levels that might have prevented it. :angry:

Looks like a great rifle. I don't really need one, but I'd consider it if I did. This is a "gas impingement" action. Is that similar to the original design, rather than a piston-operated one? The only problem I see is for Colorado residents, as you cannot buy, own or possess a magazine with greater than 15 round capacity, unless you purchased the magazine prior to the restrictive law that went into effect a year or so ago! :angry: It's a stupid law, and some law enforcement agencies have said they won't enforce it. But why take the chance? Mag-Pul left the state because of this. It is stupid because all you have to do is take two or three fifteen-round mags and tape them back-to-back.. What is needed is better mental health care for people with such problems that they are tempted to go rogue. There was plenty of evidence that the alleged shooter in the Aurora, Colorado, had serious problems, but it was (allegedly) ignored by various levels that might have prevented it. :angry:

Yeah the original design was gas impingement. I prefer that system to the piston.

I have plenty Magpul 30rounders from before the stupid ban...(and AK mags to even though I don't have an AK). I really hope we can get a Republican legislature in power and get that dumbass rule repealed. :angry:

PS: I don't need one either.

But I want! :D

Interesting rifle. I don't know enough about that platform to make any kind of rational comments, but that has never stopped me before. If was in the market for another rifle, I could see me plunking down some greenbacks on this one. Like someone before said, Ruger has done their homework and I believe that.

I presume that it will also take the commercial .223 rounds. I get a little foggy on that interchangeable thingy.

Interesting rifle. I don't know enough about that platform to make any kind of rational comments, but that has never stopped me before. If was in the market for another rifle, I could see me plunking down some greenbacks on this one. Like someone before said, Ruger has done their homework and I believe that.

I presume that it will also take the commercial .223 rounds. I get a little foggy on that interchangeable thingy.

All ya need to know ;)

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8500.html

FYI: A barrel chambered for a 5.56 NATO cartridge can fire the .223. but not necessarily the other way around.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

All ya need to know ;)

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8500.html

FYI: A barrel chambered for a 5.56 NATO cartridge can fire the .223. but not necessarily the other way around.

That is what I thunk. Thanks

I could probably figure out how to put the Magazine in, but danged if I would know how to charge the round in the chamber. It would take a long learning session to get me up and running with it. :lol:

That is what I thunk. Thanks

I could probably figure out how to put the Magazine in, but danged if I would know how to charge the round in the chamber. It would take a long learning session to get me up and running with it. :lol:

Yup, probably take a good five minutes. ;)

Wut?

It's another clone of the S&W M&P15 Sport - for a bit more money - in a rapidly deflating EBR market.

I'll admit it has the forward assist and dust cover that the Sport lacks - but, since I have exactly zero chance of finding myself in the Sandbox, I really don't care.

Wut?

It's another clone of the S&W M&P15 Sport - for a bit more money - in a rapidly deflating EBR market.

I'll admit it has the forward assist and dust cover that the Sport lacks - but, since I have exactly zero chance of finding myself in the Sandbox, I really don't care.

Can't get it California anyway.

GG

Wut?

Sometimes, this place turns into the Sandbox. ;)

QQHd5e.jpg

x3iwqT.jpg

I think you meant:

Why bore us with details? This is a much better review.

I wish I were in the market for one. Maybe one day soon I will be able to afford one. An AR, that is.

Can't get it California anyway.

GG

Ruger's pretty good about quickly modding their MSRs with bullet buttons. Then again, S&W's Sport is available now in Cali.

Still thinking this is a mistimed Me Too! And I really dislike the QD located on the bottom of the gas block. The use of this sling attachment point eliminates the centerline light/ lasers that I like, and the design largely eliminates many of the aftermarket bayonet lug rail adapters. The design of the Ruger gas block also eliminated the standard forward sling attachment loop.

Bad show -- and I'm a Ruger fanboy.

Sometimes, this place turns into the Sandbox. ;)

QQHd5e.jpg

x3iwqT.jpg

That tears it - I ain't never going to Colorado.

Unless -- they toss out Hickenstoopid and reverse his gun laws.

Ruger's pretty good about quickly modding their MSRs with bullet buttons. Then again, S&W's Sport is available now in Cali.

Still thinking this is a mistimed Me Too! And I really dislike the QD located on the bottom of the gas block. The use of this sling attachment point eliminates the centerline light/ lasers that I like, and the design largely eliminates many of the aftermarket bayonet lug rail adapters. The design of the Ruger gas block also eliminated the standard forward sling attachment loop.

Bad show -- and I'm a Ruger fanboy.

Still not available in Cali... For now. I'd own the Ruger before a SW one. I think they have a good thing goin' . Hats off to 'em :)

GG

That tears it - I ain't never going to Colorado.

Unless -- they toss out Hickenstoopid and reverse his gun laws.

And I'll come to Californy when.... well, you know. :D

Looks like there is a recall on the AR556 VT model. Claim that the two stage trigger on this model is not properly heat treated and will wear prematurely. Several models and prices are all over the board. I guess I need to talk to my LGS

:huh:

I relly do not see it as an inprovement over any other Ar 15 on the market , only feature I see of note is the lack of the M4 cut on the barrel

other than that it appears to be a standard Ar type rifle .

shown targets , were nothing to write home about IMO , most carbines are similar , in acc

If the street price in in the $600 range , it would be a decent rifle for the price ,

lacking is an AMBI safety , but most Ar , lack that also

CB

Ruger has been really stepping up there game in the last 10 years :)

While Ruger makes fine firearms, with all the under $700.00 AR's out there, they seem a little late getting into the low end AR game.

Looks like there is a recall on the AR556 VT model. Claim that the two stage trigger on this model is not properly heat treated and will wear prematurely. Several models and prices are all over the board. I guess I need to talk to my LGS

There is no AR556 VT model - maybe you meant SR556 VT model.

http://www.ruger.com/SR556VTRecall/index.html

While Ruger makes fine firearms, with all the under $700.00 AR's out there, they seem a little late getting into the low end AR game.

They were 'late' getting into the 1911 market and despite that they are having huge success with this model. I will wager that the AR556 will do the same.

There is no AR556 VT model - maybe you meant SR556 VT model.

http://www.ruger.com/SR556VTRecall/index.html

You are correct about the model number, gunner. My old eyes deceived me.

Pardon my mistake.

As I said earlier, I know next to nothing about the ARs and their features.

I guess I don't even know the correct names. :D

Archived