SASS Wire Forum

Video Tour of 5 Colorado CAS Clubs

Guest Maker-Wright

Guest Maker-Wright

This is an opportunity to see firsthand (almost) what it’s like to shoot Cowboy Action at 5 of Colorado’s most well-attended, year-round CAS clubs located within 100 miles of Denver. Each link below showcases a different club, and allows you to check out one of their monthly matches to get a good look at the range, stages, and targets. You’ll be there as each stage scenario is read, and you’ll have the shooter’s-eye view and accompanying audio as the guns are brought to the firing line and all 6 stages are actually shot during the match.

The links take you from clubs on the plains of northeastern Colorado, then south and west to visit clubs located in Rocky Mountains.

Pawnee Station;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQ036x2Mrw

Briggsdale County Shootists;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shI02Xe9NAQ

Wildcat Ridge;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQWmXUXz_c

Colorado Cowboys;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCZ1JzFOfcE

Rockvale Bunch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYijDt1nM0

If you believe such videos are a good way to encourage existing SASS members to try more clubs, and if you believe the video sharing capabilities of posting such videos on youtube is a good way to entice potential new members (walking them through, and putting them "behind the guns" from the comfort of their iPads), then PLEASE give this thread a "bump" post to keep it current on the wire. Maybe the idea will spread, and folks in other regions will make video tours to help promote our sport... Thanks!

Maker

Guest Maker-Wright

I'm getting a "this video not available" message on the Colorado video.

Sorry Warden,

Is it just the Colorado Cowboys link that won't work for you?

I've tried 2 computers and all 5 links work on my end. I'm not terribly tech-savvy and not sure what to make of that.

I'm trying it on a Samsung Pad. It won't play some videos because of the music being copyrighted.

I went to the iView web site looking for the action cam glasses and was not able to find them. Do you have a complete link to the glasses?

BTY, I really appreciate the work you put into these videos. Reading the scenario before each stage is valuable.

Our club never will stage a rifle or shotgun in a rack. If it's staged, it's on a table.

Guest Maker-Wright

I'm trying it on a Samsung Pad. It won't play some videos because of the music being copyrighted.

I went to the iView web site looking for the action cam glasses and was not able to find them. Do you have a complete link to the glasses?

BTY, I really appreciate the work you put into these videos. Reading the scenario before each stage is valuable.

Our club never will stage a rifle or shotgun in a rack. If it's staged, it's on a table.

Glad you like the videos,

This link should work for the glasses...

http://www.ivuecamera.com/ivue-720p-camera-glasses/

I just sent this to my SIL. He and my daughter just moved to Aurora, CO.

This is a great idea and anyone who thinks they might ever shoot CO should save the text of this post.

If any of you CO cowpokes run into someone claiming to be Sergeant Sagebrush, sign him up.

I got to the info on the glasses. Thanks. I have a SJ2000 action cam that does a great job but is about the size of an egg and has to be mounted and aimed. It's not possible to get the almost down the sights view your getting.

I have the same problem viewing some of Hawkeyegin13's videos. I can't view this video on the TV through AppleTV - in fact, it won't show up on the list. The others play fine.

Guest Maker-Wright

I got to the info on the glasses. Thanks. I have a SJ2000 action cam that does a great job but is about the size of an egg and has to be mounted and aimed. It's not possible to get the almost down the sights view your getting.

I have the same problem viewing some of Hawkeyegin13's videos. I can't view this video on the TV through AppleTV - in fact, it won't show up on the list. The others play fine.

The glasses are great. But since all the hardware and lens equals about the size of your pinky finger, I believe there is a trade-off in video quality.

Regarding playback, must have something to do with the format (AVI). I can view the links, I can edit and burn a disc and watch it on a computer, but it won't play in my movie DVD player.

When I view on the pad through YouTube on the Internet browser (instead of an android app), the message comes up, "video not made available on mobile devices by content owner". It's my understanding that it detects music that is copyrighted and blocks the viewing. Why it allows it to be viewed on regular PC I don't know.

Check your music. I've built some videos with music and YouTube gave me a warning that the music was copyrighted.

Guest Maker-Wright

Nice work, Maker Wright. Very enjoyable. Love seeing other ranges/setups. The first 2 links did not work for me.

Glad you liked the videos... Maybe try going to youtube and doing a search for "makerwright tour" to catch the ones you couldn't view. I've been able to pull up all 5 tour videos that way.

Guest Maker-Wright

Where's "Wildcat Ridge"? I wish you had included the"Sand Creek Raiders" in Byers.

Hey Bad Hand,

The locations of all the clubs are listed in the credits of each respective video. Wildcat Ridge formed just last year, located just west and north of I-25 exit 281. They don't have a dedicated website, nor are they listed on the SASS website (yet), they've been piggybacking their info on the Border Vigilantes website for now http://bordervigilantes.com/Wildcat_Ridge_Club.html (Border Vigilantes, another GREAT club, just west of Cheyenne WY, the Vigilantes host the "Hell On Wheels" annual. I attended this summer and it was very well done) . The Wildcat Ridge club is doing very well, and it's attendance is growing. Fun place to shoot!

God Bless the Sand Creek Raiders. Haven't taken a video with the Raiders 'cause I tend to shoot on Saturdays, and the SCR's shoot on the 4th Sundays. And, the Raiders don't shoot year round. Just haven't made it out there to take a video. It'd be great if one of the Raiders could take a video and post it here.

Guest Maker-Wright

I'm confused, the directions to Wildcat Ridge say take exit 181 off I-25. That puts it in Castle Rock, do they mean exit 281?

Yessir, Exit 281. Thanks for the catch, I'll edit the info in the post.

Thanks for the vids Maker. I watched every bit of every one. Thinking of Colorado for a road trip next year and now I want to shoot at all those locations, especially the one near the train. Very cool and old-timey. BTW where did ya get them camera glasses?

Guest Maker-Wright

Thanks for the vids Maker. I watched every bit of every one. Thinking of Colorado for a road trip next year and now I want to shoot at all those locations, especially the one near the train. Very cool and old-timey. BTW where did ya get them camera glasses?

Glad you liked the videos, and you're very welcome.

The glasses I have can be had here... http://www.ivuecamera.com/ivue-720p-camera-glasses/ and they've got a new model with higher resolution than mine... http://www.ivuecamera.com/ivue-horizon-1080p-camera-glasses/

Maker

Guest Maker-Wright

Very nicely done videos. I especially liked how you included the shooter's briefing, so the watcher can tell what's supposed to happen during the shooting portion of the video.

Nice videos MM! Thanks for sharing!

CBG

Thanks Fellas, glad you like 'em, and you're very welcome.

Maker

Glad you liked the videos... Maybe try going to youtube and doing a search for "makerwright tour" to catch the ones you couldn't view. I've been able to pull up all 5 tour videos that way.

Finally saw them all. I particularly enjoyed them since I shoot GF too.

And BTW, I grew up in Colorado and did my first 2 years of college at CSU--so always love to see mountains.

Thanks Maker,

I've shot at all those ranges except the Wildcat Ridge, they shoot the same weekend we do so it's hard to make that one, and all are great ranges to shoot at. Thanks for advertising all the club's, the Colorado Cowboys welcome all shooter, so come to the mountains where it's cooler in the summer and a lot colder in the winter and shoot year round. You did a great job on the videos thanks again.

Scary

Guest Maker-Wright

Thanks Maker,

I've shot at all those ranges except the Wildcat Ridge, they shoot the same weekend we do so it's hard to make that one, and all are great ranges to shoot at. Thanks for advertising all the club's, the Colorado Cowboys welcome all shooter, so come to the mountains where it's cooler in the summer and a lot colder in the winter and shoot year round. You did a great job on the videos thanks again.

Scary

Thanks Dude! See you Saturday.

Maker

Guest Maker-Wright

There are lots of different brands/types of recorder glasses. If you plan to buy a pair, I'd really recommend you get some with a wide-angle lens (135-140 degrees). Otherwise, it's really easy to lose the top or bottom portion of what you intended to record.

Due to time conflicts, I've only shot with the Sand Creek Raiders at their Colorado Rifle Club location once. But I used to shoot with them all the time when they were at the Aurora Gun Club, and the folks in the Raiders are the BEST! They generally shoot the last Sunday of the month. Most of the ride is on I-70 to Byers, so, from Aurora, it shouldn't take long for your friends to get there.

Maker -

Cool stuff! We enjoyed shooting with you and your parents at the state match this year. Hope to posse up with you again someday.

CR

It is cool to see ranges near and far. Besides the advertising it is awesome to see the different ways people construct and utilize props for shooting.

Travelin Kid did an aerial tape of our club with a drone and it turned out extremely well.

Keep posting more of the different clubs

KK

Guest Maker-Wright

Maker -

Cool stuff! We enjoyed shooting with you and your parents at the state match this year. Hope to posse up with you again someday.

CR

Glad you liked the videos CR, I enjoyed shooting with you too, Thanks.

Maker

Guest Maker-Wright

It is cool to see ranges near and far. Besides the advertising it is awesome to see the different ways people construct and utilize props for shooting.

Travelin Kid did an aerial tape of our club with a drone and it turned out extremely well.

KK

Great job, Maker!

GW

Glad you liked the videos fellas, Thanks.

Maker

KK

KK,

You should see his camera - it's in his glasses where the lenses meet. Pretty good quality for such a small device. Saw TK's video, but never got to see the drone.

If you get west, these are some fun clubs.

CR

Archived