SASS Wire Forum

Easy firing pin replacement on Stoegers..

Rance - SASS # 54090

Lacey's Stoeger SxS is about 12 years old.. Mine is about 11 years old.. (mine shot a lot more)

I've never had problems with either Stoeger..

At Gunsmoke last weekend one of my trigger pulls went "click"

on the last shot of the last stage of the first day..

Still had the original firing pins in them..

Visual inspection.. Still no mushrooming of the firing pins sticking out.. :)

I couldn't see from the outside anything that would cause this..

Maybe got some dirt or piece of metal stuck in there someplace?? :blush:

Maybe one broke?? :blink:

I shot a couple of test rounds before the match next morning...

Shot fine.. Worked fine all day.. :wacko: nary a miss fire or just a "click"...

But Monday morning I ordered the replacement firing pins for both from Longhunter..

Ordered the little tool thingy with it.

Needed to take the doubt of reliability out of my brain.. :mellow:

Received them in the mail Wednesday afternoon..

I couldn't believe how easy they were to replace... clean and drop in..

I had both sets replaced within an hour last night..

The back side of the firing pins had worn a lot (at an angle) from many years of hammer strikes.

Front of firing pin still looked fine..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' "Thanks" LongHunter for your quick service and delivery.. :)

I've gotta' another big match this weekend.. :)

Just passin' along some info...

Rance, U R keerect ! The Peace o mind is worth changin out the firin pins. My pard changed ours out recently cause my Stoeger clicked at couple matches. Found similar wear patterns you described.

2 Gunz

Are you sure the misfires were because of the firing pins? I have reloaded some shells that would not fire in my Stoeger. They wouldn't fire in my PW87 either. Turned out the primers were set too deep - .020 or more. I now check my loads for primer depth - shooting for .010 or less. Not a single problem.

Are you sure the misfires were because of the firing pins? I have reloaded some shells that would not fire in my Stoeger. They wouldn't fire in my PW87 either. Turned out the primers were set too deep - .020 or more. I now check my loads for primer depth - shooting for .010 or less. Not a single problem.

I checked the ammo when it just went click...

Brand new Factory ammo Winchester Featherlites (low noise/low recoil)

Didn't have a firing pin strike on it... put it back into my shotgun shell belt..

Went off the next day...

When replacing them I did notice one tiny piece of metal (lead) in the firing pin area..

I was thinkin' that might have been it... but nothing I could have done with it on the range..

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. LIke 2 Gunz.. I'm more at ease with 'em replaced.. :)

Well, you certainly got the mileage out of the original pins. They deserve a rest.

We've got two Stoegers for a year and not had a single problem with the guns. Knock on wood.

I've never taken the butt stocks off to work on or inspect the "innerds". Would you have been able to see the wear on the back side of the firing pins with the butt stock removed?

Well, you certainly got the mileage out of the original pins. They deserve a rest.

We've got two Stoegers for a year and not had a single problem with the guns. Knock on wood.

I've never taken the butt stocks off to work on or inspect the "innerds". Would you have been able to see the wear on the back side of the firing pins with the butt stock removed?

Don't think so??

:FlagAm: After six years of local monthly matches my Stoeger started doing the same. When I took old pins out I could see some barely visible distortion on pin where internal hammer strikes it. I also always thought when people mentioned mushrooming they were talking about where pin strikes primer but that is not the case. Replacement easy to do, drop in with no adjustment necessary.

Archived