SASS Wire Forum

Whats your opinion?

Kid Rich

I cleaned some 45 colt, 45-70 and some 45 acp brass in my thumbler B today with lemishine dawndish soap and a gallon of water. Tumbled for 3 hrs tokk it out and dried it in the oven for an hour. As I was sorting it out I found 3 45 acps had primers that had not been struck. My question is would they fire if put in a 1911 and pull they trigger? kR

I sure wouldn't put them in a self defense round!!!!

Dump the primers-they're 'dead'.

LG

Not necessarily. Primers are a lot harder to kill than most think. A manufacturer of ammunition had a request for cases loaded with a primer and bullet with no powder for display purposes. He soaked the primers in penetrating oil. 6 months later they all would fire.

Not necessarily. Primers are a lot harder to kill than most think. A manufacturer of ammunition had a request for cases loaded with a primer and bullet with no powder for display purposes. He soaked the primers in penetrating oil. 6 months later they all would fire.

NOT worth the chance--We're talk'n about 5cents worth of primers.....

I would NOT trust'em----

LG

I would let them dry and then fire them unloaded and singly in my 1911. Then they could be deprimed and reloaded. Having a primer go off in the loading press would be 'exciting', but this process would set them off in a gun if they were still alive.

I would let them dry and then fire them unloaded and singly in my 1911. Then they could be deprimed and reloaded. Having a primer go off in the loading press would be 'exciting', but this process would set them off in a gun if they were still alive.

I have been reloading for over 50 years and have never had a live primer detonate when I removed it. I done it many times and have never had a problem.

I have been reloading for over 50 years and have never had a live primer detonate when I removed it. I done it many times and have never had a problem.

I am in the process of recycling primers from some unused 5.56 brass to feed into my Rossi 357, no problems so far. Couple hundred down, about eight hundred to go.

It is a real surprise when you do, Big Sage.

I am in the process of recycling primers from some unused 5.56 brass to feed into my Rossi 357, no problems so far. Couple hundred down, about eight hundred to go.

You are going to reuse small rifle primers in small pistol brass? This strikes me as a problem. Shooting .357 in a rifle does not make it a rifle cartridge. High primers are almost a certainty and military primers are often harder than commercial primers. I see problems in your future.

You are going to reuse small rifle primers in small pistol brass? This strikes me as a problem. Shooting .357 in a rifle does not make it a rifle cartridge. High primers are almost a certainty and military primers are often harder than commercial primers. I see problems in your future.

No problems so far, though I've only fired a couple dozen.

Not military primers, just Winchester small rifle, and the first thing I did was fire a dozen primered brass. A small sample, but good enough for plinking and woodchuck killing.

No high primers so far, but the one thing that made me a little nervous was the ease of seating. It had been quite awhile since I had seated any small primers, but they seemed to go into once-fired brass awfully easy.

Small rifle primers stick up .007" more than small pistol primers. It may work; it may not; it may be dangerous.

Proceed with caution....

Wonder why they did that? if they were all the same you could do with two less SKU's.

I used some hundreds of thousands small rifle primers in 38 supers loaded to make major. No problem.

my experiences have been with Large Rifle and Large pistol mostly-just wanted to make sure all necessary considerations had been made.

Rifles operate at much higher pressures than even magnum handgun loads. Primer flow into the firing pin hole happens at excessive pressures, but with pistol primers, you run a much higher risk of a punctured primer.

Also the charge is stronger for rifle and would likely be enough to affect accuracy on target pistol loads

For shooting pistol calibers out of a rifle in a noncompetition arena, I would probably do it myself-but I wouldn't recommend it

Back to the OP. I picked up some stray primers that had been hiding on the floor for a while and put them in water for a week. After that I let them dry then loaded them. They all fired normally.

Blackfoot

I would have bet that they would not have gone off. All three DID when I put them in my 1911. :wacko: kR

Yup!

I had 4500 large rifle primers given to me. All fired nicely thru a pair of Black Hawks with no problem.

Small rifle primers stick up .007" more than small pistol primers. It may work; it may not; it may be dangerous.

Proceed with caution....

Wrong-they are the exact same size.

The diff is in lg rile and lg pistol.

LG

Archived