SASS Wire Forum

They're starving us out....

Neat map:

http://blog.findthebest.com/reference/states-most-firearm-licenses/16/#.VCKMmBF0yT8

Tells you how many FFLs per 100K of population in each state.

Most states running 40 or more; some well up into the 130 territory (Wyoming & Montana)

Lowest - CA (in the 8 range) and MA (in the 9 range) and NJ (4 range)

Man, I need to move......

LL

If there were more buyers, there would be more sellers.

Given the states on the low side and their politics, it's more likely those states make it too much of a hassle to be an FFL for most people.

Just in case anyone is curious like I was, here's a link that shows population density of each state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_density

Interesting to note that Wyoming is the second least densely populated state and has the most FFL's per population. I have also heard (not confirmed) that residents there don't need a permit to carry concealed.
(makes me want to live there).

I've got to believe that the number of FFLs is largely a function of what the market will support - i.e., how many buyers are out there. But that, in turn, is often a reflection of how heavily guns are regulated and how intensely the state government demonizes gun ownership.

The number of FFLs is sort of a mini-indicator of how gun friendly the state is.

LL

It'd be interesting to see this broken down by county. Here in New York the there's quite a divide between New York City and surrounding areas (massive population, massive gun control) and the rest of the state. My county has a total population of 80,000 and I know of five FFLs within about 15 miles of my home.

Given the states on the low side and their politics, it's more likely those states make it too much of a hassle to be an FFL for most people.

In OUR state it's become too much of a hassle to be a buyer. :(

Montana is very gun friendly. So I guess we are an unsophisticated bunch of gun toting buffoon's. We do need a permit to carry concealed. But we can strap on our sidearm or hang a rifle/shotgun on our shoulder and walk down the streets. Just can't go into banks, bars or Gov't building with them.

Back about six months ago Shotgun News declared Prescott AZ to be Gun City, USA.

We were already planning to move here, but that was nice to know.

Got an AZ CCW by mail to my California address in less than 2 weeks for $60.00 (CA was a couple hundred bucks and up to 13 months).

AZ allows concealed carry without any permit (and open carry most places) without the CCW anywhere that isn't posted. The license saves time on things like background checks and other political BS. If you DO carry where it's posted you can be charged with trespass.

I routinely drop a .380 Colt or a .38 special in my pocket when I leave the house, have a 1911 in the truck and am having a holster made for when the weather gets cooler and coats come out.

Walmart sells long guns, but I didn't slow down enough to see if they also have handguns and ammo. Doesn't matter much. I have already been in 30 or so stores within a few miles of where we're living with guns and ammo, leather goods, cleaning supplies, and knives (got my eye on a 4" spear point side lever switchblade like I had in high school before the world went mad), am dickering for a C95 Mauser professionally refinished, and have scored a dozen boxes... 600 rounds... of .22LR for $45.00 including taxes.

Archived