SASS Wire Forum

Nice salute Mr. President....

You guys are all jealous he gets to ride a helicopter with Marines to work.

Work? When did he start?

Guest Tascosa Kid #90830

all he had to do was say gentlemen "as you were

'. but he did not even look at them. If it came down to it these Marines would have protected the ' president' with their lives. I am as disgusted as everyone here. Tascosa Kid USN MM2 1966-1970

Eisenhower didn't salute. I see no reason why a President, Especially one who knows nothing about military protocol, would even try. I know Reagan started it but I'd be satisfied if a President just nodded respectfully to acknowledge the salute instead of ending up looking like a....

Eisenhower didn't salute. I see no reason why a President, Especially one who knows nothing about military protocol, would even try. I know Reagan started it but I'd be satisfied if a President just nodded respectfully to acknowledge the salute instead of ending up looking like a....

He still is CIC.....protocol or not, I have no problem seeing the President salute...but....as mentioned - either do it right or not at all.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Even as CinC, he is still a civilian. Even if he wasn't a civilian, he was not in uniform. He should not have even attempted to salute. Acknowledging the salute is a nice gesture, but in this case not necessary - the marine would continue to hold the salute until the CinC had passed, regardless - and doing it improperly is worse than not doing it at all.

Reagan felt awkward not acknowledging the salute with a salute. Eisenhower understood military protocol and had no problem not acknowledging it in public.

One of the strengths of the US Constitution is that the CinC is a civilian and not a military officer.

Even as CinC, he is still a civilian. Even if he wasn't a civilian, he was not in uniform. He should not have even attempted to salute. Acknowledging the salute is a nice gesture, but in this case not necessary - the marine would continue to hold the salute until the CinC had passed, regardless - and doing it improperly is worse than not doing it at all.

Reagan felt awkward not acknowledging the salute with a salute. Eisenhower understood military protocol and had no problem not acknowledging it in public.

One of the strengths of the US Constitution is that the CinC is a civilian and not a military officer.

Like I said - if one does it, do it right or not at all - never said he HAD to do it, but as CIC, it's his choice, and it's a nice gesture if he/she decides to do so.

Here's a good piece:

http://www.texasgopvote.com/military-salute/it-proper-president-render-military-hand-salute-002816

GG

Correct on all points. The salute is a symbol of mutual respect between military members. The President is in command of the military, he is not in the military.

Like I said - if one does it, do it right or not at all - never said he HAD to do it, but as CIC, it's his choice, and it's a nice gesture if he/she decides to do so.

Here's a good piece:

http://www.texasgopvote.com/military-salute/it-proper-president-render-military-hand-salute-002816

GG

I agree with you. The article is incorrect, though. There is no requirement to salute a Medal of Honor recipient, it is done by tradition.

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/must-all-troops-salute-medal-of-honor-recipients-1.125849

Archived