SASS Wire Forum

Nice salute Mr. President....

Clueless. That's all I can say.

How 'bout that Monday night game?

now, you need to give points for effort.........

No... No, I don't...

It would have been less disrespectful for him to nod his head and say "Gentlemen" or something of the sort.

now now, remember he is the leader of the free world. he can't be expected to worry about a silly salute. he has far more pressing thing on his mind like....

GOLF!!!

now now, remember he is the leader of the free world. he can't be expected to worry about a silly salute. he has far more pressing thing on his mind like....

GOLF!!!

Har! He even brings down the game of golf.

GG

My guess is thru the years, there have been more than a few flag officers who've done something similar.

However, to do it in front of video cameras is idiotic. Every time a POTUS boards an aircraft is a photo op, no matter when or where.

Maybe, but I never saw it in my 34 years in the Navy.

And yes, he HAS to know they salute him EVERY time he gets off Marine One or Air Force One.

Simply despicable.

Great game Monday nite!

This guy has no respect for the office of president.

He acts like he is a king and he can do or not do what ever he wants, how he wants and everyone must deal with it.

He thinks he's being disrespected.

Got to say he may have that one right.

"No respect for those who do not give respect."

Given the President's role as Commander-in-Chief, as well as the necessity of at least a basic understanding of the organization, powers and limitations of the military, it is a mistake, in my view, to elect a candidate who has never served in the military. Would you elect a candidate who didn't know how many states there are...ooops...never mind.

LL

I don't like the guy but this is much ado about nothing. He at least acknowledged them, I doubt he

meant any disrespect

I disagree, but if you say so.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I don't like the guy but this is much ado about nothing. He at least acknowledged them, I doubt he

meant any disrespect

I disagree, but if you say so.

Oh, I don't think he meant them any intentional disrespect, I just believe he doesn't have enough respect for them in the first place to take the time to shift the cup to his left hand and render a proper return salute, or, as I suggested above, just nod his head and say something. The flippant manner in which he saluted to me shows disrespect per se.

It comes across as: "Yeah, whatever."

During my military career, I had a few salutes improperly returned. I was just a lower ranking person and the offending officer had more important things on his mind..."Yeah, whatever."

Heck... I'm impressed he didn't spill it down his neck! ^_^

I was surprised at how long the two Marines held their salutes... then it occurred to me that they were probably saluting each other! Gives the event much more meaning. :)

Oh, I don't think he meant them any intentional disrespect, I just believe he doesn't have enough respect for them in the first place to take the time to shift the cup to his left hand and render a proper return salute, or, as I suggested above, just nod his head and say something. The flippant manner in which he saluted to me shows disrespect per se.

I just disagree with HH posting "much ado about nothing". Respect to our service men and women is definitely something and the salute is not flippant thing if one goes about doing it. It seems, to me at least, that he thinks he is 'owed' the service from them....on talk radio this morning two servicemen said that it would be just better to not salute than to give the 'whatever that was' gesture to them.

I just disagree with HH posting "much ado about nothing". Respect to our service men and women is definitely something and the salute is not flippant thing if one goes about doing it. It seems, to me at least, that he thinks he is 'owed' the service from them....on talk radio this morning two servicemen said that it would be just better to not salute than to give the 'whatever that was' gesture to them.

Gotcha. In the grand scheme of things, I have far more issues with this POTUS than just this incident, but it is just one more thing to add to an already long list, an excellent example of his attitude, thus, more to me than "much ado about nothing" as well.

When I used the word "flippant," I meant his attitude in returning the salute was flippant. That is, it did not show a respectful attitude toward the two Marines.

As for the two servicemen on talk radio this morning, I agree. Even though I am retired, I still consider myself a serviceman, and I will just say look at my prior posts! I'm ahead of the curve for once! :D

Heck... I'm impressed he didn't spill it down his neck! ^_^

I was surprised at how long the two Marines held their salutes... then it occurred to me that they were probably saluting each other! Gives the event much more meaning. :)

No, they were saluting the rank not the person. That is how they are trained. Your opinion of the person is irrelevant, you salute the rank. As an Air Force E-4 at Reese AFB in Lubbock we had Second Lieutenant student pilots and Instructor pilots wearing 50 and 100 mission patches from Vietnam. I rendered them the same salute but believe me when I say I did not salute them with the same level of respect.

As Commander-In-Chief, but in civies, he isn't required to salute at all. Since Ronald Reagan began returning military salutes it has become somewhat of a tradition for the President to do so. Someone should have at least clued him in that if he was going to salute or acknowledge the salute of the Marines, he should have at least shifted the cup to his left hand, and either nod to them, or render a hand salute in return for theirs. He probably had a lot on his mind...like, in addition to the Middle East situation, remembering the words to cumbiya!

You fellers have got it all wrong.

Dang bitter, right wing extremists sitting there clinging to yore guns and religion.

There can be no higher sign of respect for a true liberal than to raise his latte/cappucino/half-decaf in salute. :rolleyes:

Heck... I'm impressed he didn't spill it down his neck!

Now talk about your viral video. That would have had 20,000,000 likes and crashed Youtube in a few minutes. :D :D

As Commander-In-Chief, but in civies, he isn't required to salute at all...

If you're going to do it , though, do it right, at least!

Archived