SASS Wire Forum

Sitting posture

Jess Money

I saw a couple old movies recently where various cowboys, Randolph Scott, Clint Walker and William Boyd for examples, crossed their leg one over another when they sat. I don't see that very often in a Western so it kinda stood out . Started me thinking, too, which most of the time is dangerous, but....when you sit, do you cross one leg over the other? If so, which leg do you place on top?

I am left-handed, and IF I cross my legs, which I generally don't, I cross left ankle over right, or one ankle (usually left) on the other knee I can't remember the last time I actually crossed my legs the more "feminine" way, for lack of a better descriptor.

:blink::blink:

LOL! I detect a hesitation here to answer the question. There's no right or wrong answer, just a simple question. I'm right handed but when I'm sitting, I'll eventually place my left ankle on top of my right knee, just as the three silver screen cowboys did in their movie. I may not leave it there long, but at 6' 2" I guess I need to limber the legs a bit from time to time. But it's always my left leg I seem to use.

Do you mean cross the legs like the way girls do it, with the knees stacked? I don't do that, but I sometimes see guys who do. I can't do it, it hurts me. But I cross my legs in a figure 4 quite often. I'm ambidextrous and I will cross either way, and often switch. I get a good stretch from doing it, but if I do it too long, my leg gets sore.

I don't think you're going to find it has anything to do with handedness or dominant sides. One of the things I learned about body language when I was dating was that if a girl crosses her legs towards you, it means she's into you, and if she crosses them away, it means she's bored with you and shutting you out. You can't change that by sitting on a particular side of her. You just need better stories.

And I'll also add that the old karate masters are said to have planned how they crossed their legs. They would cross their legs towards wherever a threat or attack was most likely to come from. That way, it was a quick move to rise up and be facing the right direction. If you tried to rise up and face the other direction, your feet would be tangled.

My mother told my sister that a ladt crosses her ankles, not her legs. That's all I know on the subject. ;)

Archived