SASS Wire Forum

Dangerous and deadly weapon

Now, I know that one should not climb a fence at the White House;

And I also know that when the Secret Service yells "stop", one should stop;

And, despite the fact that the WH is "the people's house", I understand that one may not just drop by unannounced.

But this poor, homeless, disturbed fellow, who claims he wanted to warn the Prez that "the atmosphere was collapsing" so that he could "get the word out" - something that Al Gore has been trying to do for years without being charged - ends up charged with committing a crime while in possession of a dangerous or deadly weapon - with a potential 10 year sentence. (So what ever happened to the requirement of intent? You don't need to prove that he intended to harm someone with the weapon? Just having it in his pocket is enough? So we're all potentially guilty if we wear shoes - a shod foot - when we trespass?)

His weapon in his pocket? A 3 1/2" Spyderco knife - not unlike the ones that we are describing on another thread as being in our pockets every day.

Hopefully, this whole thing will lead to treatment for the fence climber and improved security on the WH perimeter. Doesn't really sound like he intended harm.

I love the media repetition that he had "800 rounds" of unidentified ammo in his car - but no gun (oh, but they don't mention that). DUCK! He's throwing ammunition at us!

LL

I love the media repetition that he had "800 rounds" of unidentified ammo in his car - but no gun (oh, but they don't mention that). DUCK! He's throwing ammunition at us!

But this way it's more entertaining TV. The media sez, "Context? We don't need no stinking context!"

I'm pretty sure he was not treated kindly and gently by the Uniformed Secret Service... :mellow:

Maybe he was gonna stab that ammo at the Prez with his big(3") read legal to carry in every state knife. Wow ! That's some terrorist there. Then again, supposedly. The planes on 9/11 were taken over with box cutters...Sooo...

Too bad the media cannot see fit make him the poster child for vets needing mental health care rather than blatantly lying about the facts.

I actually expect they will within a few days.

I do too. As was mentioned above, he DID commit a crime, but now hopefully they will evaluate him and show him to be not competent to stand trial and get him the help he needs.

I do too. As was mentioned above, he DID commit a crime, but now hopefully they will evaluate him and show him to be not competent to stand trial and get him the help he needs.

I sure hope so. The way the military passes the buck to the VA which seem to just kick them to the curb is shameful

The whole problem is they go after weapons instead of fighting mental illness. The media as well as the officials only tell about what will heelp them reach their goals to ban all weapons. They even fail to report that most crimes dealing with firearms are done with illegally aquired firearms. Even the Sandy Hook shootings. They tell about all the firearms but only mention the fact he killed his mother to get them in passing.

Yep - two enlistments.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2014/09/22/white-house-intruder-had-weapons-and-ammunition-his-car/Gg0rrMLFksKA0jYLudfXBK/story.html

Plus two arrests prior, including one on the WH sidewalk with a hatchet in his belt, and one after a high-speed chase in VA, with 11 guns in his car, including rifles with scopes and bipods, 3 loaded handguns, and a sawed-off shotgun, together with a map of DC with a line drawn to the White House. VA cops reported him to the Secret Service, and charged him with reckless driving, evasion, and possession of a sawed-off shotgun; they held the rest of his guns for "safekeeping".

None of that stopped him from his latest.

LL

Howdy:

(tongue in cheek) Was the pocket knife semi-auto, full auto, bolt or lever action or just an old fashin Assault Weapon we read about?

I agree - mental health is the issue here and he needs help - the VA is out having parties and not available I guess. Shame on them and the GOvernment for their lack of concern and treatment.

STL Suomi

I thought it was pretty strange when the initial reports said he was getting a federal weapons charge. I couldn't tell if the charge was for the pocket knife or the 'hundreds of rounds' or ammo in his car. I was really hoping some idiotic reporter would ask if the ammo was the same caliber as the pocket knife.

Then today, I heard he'd already been arrested for having the sawed off shotgun, so I'm hoping that was the federal weapon's charge they were talking about.

While everyone is repeating that he's a vet, this is the first place I've seen it suggested that he's mentally ill. Shore would be nice if this became a jumping off point to talk about the state of mental health in this country rather than something about racist tea party extremists.

Archived