SASS Wire Forum

What Is SASS Doing To Promote Our Game Among The Over 55 crowd?

Bart Solo

I DID start because of my childhood heroes, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, etc. I was 35 then...

I was already in General Shooting Sports, plinking etc.

But SASS/CAS got me into reloading, casting, shooting competitively. This lead to Sporting Clays, Skeet, Steel Challenge, etc.

The Chronicle was the single best way to get the word out. I worked Gun shows 5-7 times a year for about 6 years promoting SASS/CAS, photo albums, Copies of the Chronicle, Guns, Gear.

When I stopped, no on else stepped in. I noticed my local CAS club spends NO time recruiting or spreading the word locally. New members may come from word of Mouth or have moved here and already were shooting CAS. I did my bit for a long time, I know treat it as Disneyland, pay, play, go home.

How do we attract new shooters? Print the Chronicle again to hand out, have SASS sponsor more shows other then the few big shows like the SHOT Show since you are preaching to the choir if you stay within the active shooting community only to promote.

And have local clubs step up and do Gun Shows, Cowboy Venues, Rodeos, State Fairs, Anywhere that the Cowboy Lifestyle can be promoted and tied into CAS...I personally recruited many long term members of our local club that way...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relax the costuming requirements???? What do you want to wear, a ball cap and t-shirt? Right now the costuming requirements are so lax, it's hard to tell a cowboy match from a regular match. Don't want to wear a hat, well, don't, it's not required. Don't want to wear cowboy boots, well, don't, they're not required. Don't want to wear a long sleeved shirt, well, it is required, but roll up the sleeves, hey! it's a short sleeved shirt now! Don't want to wear suspenders, well don't, they're not required. Want to wear jeans, heck yeah, they're legal. About the only thing you can't do is wear a ball cap, t-shirt or shorts. And in some locales, in the summer, they allow shorts at their local matches.

P

Yes sir. I agree with you. My point was let's do away with the charade that costuming is an integral part of CAS. The rules have been pushed so far as to be almost meaningless.

P

Yes sir. I agree with you. My point was let's do away with the charade that costuming is an integral part of CAS. The rules have been pushed so far as to be almost meaningless.

To you maybe but to many including top shooters costuming IS part of it. I wear black jeans and shirt. A cowboy hat and boots. I go into many a restaurant after shooting and nobody gives me a second look. Now James Samual Pike ( a top shooter ) goes onto said restaurant and people start asking questions. The costume rules are perfect just the way they are. Live it up or down as you see fit.

A lot of what I'm reading on the last two pages is not to advertise ay the shooters that are already out there but try and get someone who isn't a shooter to go out and buy some guns and clothes and shoot with us. I'm not a fan of that 100%. But we should advertise for sass at the local, individual level.. Well that makes more since since the clubs benefit from the new shooters the most. They get them in to the fold get the money from the matches them if the shooter hangs in there they get the dues for the local club before they join sass it isn't until the larger matches where a sass membership is required. I've known a shooter or two who would have never join sass except there was a local annual that the shooter was shooting that host the state shoot and he join so he could shoot that match and every year it was a conflict weather to renew but he was getting the cc so he kept it up but now since he doesn't own a computer OT any new fangagled tablet so no more cc no more membership as he isn't shooting at the club that hosted the state shoot anymore. So we lost him.

My idea is a two fold one. Take a friend to a sass shoot for the monthly shoots take someone who isn't a compition shooter or isnt a CAS shooter to a match at the club level have it where if you bring a new shooter to a match you shoot both shoot for free no match fees if there is a range fee you both would be required to cover that, that way it doesn't cost the club for you to shoot but this could be one match a year, or quarter where the club host this bring a friend to a CAS match or it could be any monthly match. But, if it is once a period then members with extra gear could bring it out for the newbes to use and the sponsor or the club as a whole could donate the ammo with the brass going back to the owners same with the other gear of course. The other thing to do is take a monthly shooter to an annual shoot here it just an invitation or at most sharing travel expenses. They are plenty of monthly shooter that never shoot an annual other than the one the local club host if they do have an annual CAS shoot. Invite a fellow monthly to travel with you or at least meet you at another club monthly or annual. Annual would be better for sass but not everyone can take time off for a CAS shoot during the week.

But these two things get new cowboy shooters and then get more cowboy shooter to travel and shoot at other clubs. Both are good for sass.

Just for the record I'm not lobbying to change the costuming rules. The question asked was how do we attract more interest in CAS.

My initial reaction to the costuming requirements was I thought it was weird. Other gun enthusiasts I know feel the same way. I decided that if I was going to do CAS I would buy in completely and dress appropriately. I did that for two reasons. First, it's the way the sport has chosen to be. If I want to be a part of it I should comply and try to get into the spirit of it. Second, contempt prior to investigation is no way to go through life. I decided to try it and I might like it or at least see it differently. I'm glad I did. I actually don't mind the costuming now. I've tried to do it right and buy in completely.

All I'm suggesting is that the costuming requirement may turn off prospective new shooters.

P

Lucky,

Well, costuming (or as we used to say back in the old days, outfits) are an integral part of CAS. The name, after all, is COWBOY action shooting, not Come as you are action shooting. Yes, the "guys" (the orginial Wild Bunch) that started SASS did want to shoot their cowboy guns. They all came from IPSC and IDPA, where you don't have to wear cowboy clothing. They felt that they wanted a sport that combined competitive shooting with the idea, the fantasy, if you will, of the Old West. That's why SASS doesn't require fully period correct gear, as does NCOWS.

To be honest, I don't think that the Wild Bunch is interested in attracting all of the other 95% of the shooting public, if the "costuming" part of SASS is a problem. Many, yes, most, of the people who join SASS, enjoy the idea of getting away from real life on a Saturday or Sunday. Many, myself included, use the chance of dressing up in my outfit on the weekend to feel that life actually is more than getting a paycheck every other week.

Once, when my wife and I were traveling through the Kansas City Airport on the way to a shoot, wearing I might add, a cowboy hat, boots and a period correct shirt, were asked by a fellow traveler what we do. I didn't answer that I was a photojournalist, my wife didn't answer that she was a doctor, instead I said, "on weekends, we rob banks." That's what SASS is all about. Getting away from real life and enjoying a short interlude into the myth of the Old West. For some, that means dragging out the old hoglegs and lever gun and being competitive, shooting the targets and scenarios in the shortest time possible. For others, it means getting into a period-correct or hollywood-inspired outfit and reliving the days of their youth spent watching Roy, Gene, the Duke and others on TV. Most, I think, are somewhere in the middle of both those options.

Now maybe I'm an old gruff but lovable curmudgeon, and certainly, what I believe is my own opinion and has no sway with the Wild Bunch or anybody else. But if you were to come to me and say, "Well, I've got a non-SASS shooter who wants to play the game with us but won't put on the clothes," my answer would not be, "Well, what the heck, let's relax the rules so this guy can come and play with us." My answer would be, "Well, I'm sorry he feels that way, maybe this is not the shooting sport for him." Personally, if we have to drop the "costuming" or as I prefer, "outfits" in order to grow, then I really don't want that type of growth.

It's been a few days since I could check this topic; I had a command performance at my mother-in-law's 92nd birthday, a 5 hour drive away. I confess I have not read each post in the interim.

When my 40-year old son, Fret Maverick, decided he wanted to shoot with me, the first thing we did is fit him with some western clothes. He understood that dressing cowboy is part of our fun.

I don't want to go to a SASS/CAS shoot, monthly or otherwise, and see competitors dressed in modern style clothes. Other sports expect participants to dress appropriately; one does not see jeans and tee-shirts on a basketball or tennis court or a ballroom dancing floor. We can expect the same. Newbies can get some slack, but its COWBOY action shooting. That's who we are, and I'm glad.

Guest Maker-Wright

I believe this http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227987 could potentially be a powerful thing. If clubs were to post a video of what it's like to actually see their range, the stages, and to shoot the targets from "behind the guns" at one of their monthlies, it could prompt existing CAS shooters who only shoot at their home club to venture out and try other venues in their area. The videos are on youtube, can be viewed, emailed, and shared by anyone. It may also give those on the fence the enthusiasm to give the game a try. It's really tough to get a feel for what a club (or CAS in general) is like from a few pictures on a website. Electronically put 'em on the range, behind the guns, and let 'em see what it's like.

I agree with you. The rules are the rules. I wouldn't ask nor expect exceptions be made. If you want to play this game play it as it is not how you want it to be. OTOH, if we're really concerned about declining interest we should be willing to voice and discuss possible solutions. Relaxing costuming rules is just that: a possible solution. Might be a good idea, might be a bad idea.

When I brought up the idea I knew it would be considered heresy. I wasn't trolling or just kicking the dog to stir up something. Like it or not dressing up in costumes or outfits is an issue for new shooters. For some it's part of the appeal, for others it is a deal breaker. How many potential new shooters are deterred (or motivated) by it is certainly debatable, but it is an issue.

I agree with you. The rules are the rules. I wouldn't ask nor expect exceptions be made. If you want to play this game play it as it is not how you want it to be. OTOH, if we're really concerned about declining interest we should be willing to voice and discuss possible solutions. Relaxing costuming rules is just that: a possible solution. Might be a good idea, might be a bad idea.

When I brought up the idea I knew it would be considered heresy. I wasn't trolling or just kicking the dog to stir up something. Like it or not dressing up in costumes or outfits is an issue for new shooters. For some it's part of the appeal, for others it is a deal breaker. How many potential new shooters are deterred (or motivated) by it is certainly debatable, but it is an issue.

It may be an issue to someone that doesn't read and understand the requirements. I agree with you that some may see a B western or classic cb and think that's too much for them to take on. But anyone that takes the time to Read the rules they will see there is very Little costuming needed. Heck most people have the necessary cloths in their closet.

Word of mouth is the best promotion. I'm sure every member has siblings, in-laws, children, grandchildren, neighbors, friends, etc. Invite them to go shooting with you, and let them use your guns/ammo. Invite them to a match. Person to person contact is free and most effective.

If someone is not ready to jump in with both feet and buy a few thousand in guns, leather, ammo, etc., make special accomodations for newbies. Today at our sportsman's club picnic, a Cowboy Shooting experience was offered. Anyone was welcome to shoot a stage, even if they had never shot a firearm before. The firearms were provided, loaded for them and staged on a table, and when finished shooting, they were unloaded for them. All they did was shoot under the close supervision of an experienced RO. If folks can participate for a few matches without a big investment, perhaps they will "get the bug" and jump in.

BTW, is membership really a problem? I joined about 3 years ago and my SASS # is 96xxx. I noticed that recent numbers are well into the 101xxx. Five thousand new members if 3 years ain't bad. How many active members are there, and is that number stable, or seriously declining? Are the numbers at the monthly shoots declining? My feeling is the monthly club match attendance is a better indication of strength than major shoots, but I may be wrong, as I usually am.

B Slim

Word of mouth is the best promotion. I'm sure every member has siblings, in-laws, children, grandchildren, neighbors, friends, etc. Invite them to go shooting with you, and let them use your guns/ammo. Invite them to a match. Person to person contact is free and most effective.

If someone is not ready to jump in with both feet and buy a few thousand in guns, leather, ammo, etc., make special accomodations for newbies. Today at our sportsman's club picnic, a Cowboy Shooting experience was offered. Anyone was welcome to shoot a stage, even if they had never shot a firearm before. The firearms were provided, loaded for them and staged on a table, and when finished shooting, they were unloaded for them. All they did was shoot under the close supervision of an experienced RO. If folks can participate for a few matches without a big investment, perhaps they will "get the bug" and jump in.

BTW, is membership really a problem? I joined about 3 years ago and my SASS # is 96xxx. I noticed that recent numbers are well into the 101xxx. Five thousand new members if 3 years ain't bad. How many active members are there, and is that number stable, or seriously declining? Are the numbers at the monthly shoots declining? My feeling is the monthly club match attendance is a better indication of strength than major shoots, but I may be wrong, as I usually am.

B Slim

I am the original poster, and I didn't post because I am afraid our sport is in decline. I haven't noticed decline among my Powder Creek Cowboys and after a few years of decline my Mountain Oyster Gang club seems to be making a strong comeback, attracting more shooters every month. I posted because I really think this game is naturally attractive to a particular demographic--the empty nesters who are sick of golf and aren't really interested in buying a Harley. Why not play to that strength. By the way, I am good with attracting as many younger people as we can. I just think empty nesters is a natural group for us. It has a new crop of members every spring.

I've only shot at three clubs so far, but I noticed that all these clubs have one thing in common: all the action shooting is sequestered from the rest of the range. You can still go to watch, but there's this feeling of separation that exists there. What I've been doing is taking my cowboy guns right up on the regular rang to practice. I get a lot of "old school" comments from the AR crowds (most of the rifle shooters). After that, their interest is piqued and the questions come. That I believe is the first step in exposure. The other thing we need is more main stream westerns out there to bring the genre back into the fold. I grew up on the spaghetti westerns so I've always loved cowboy guns, but I didn't know about CAS until this year

For me the biggest draw was the fact that my wife was interested. I’d been shooting bull-eye and combat for many years and my wife came to a few matches and was completely bored (Even if she shot). But this cowboy stuff really grabbed her (mostly the great people). So that’s one of the ways I get folks interested. ; The spouse connection. Second I mention to the prospective cowboy that it’s a good way to tolerate a visit to the in-laws; I take my gear and my own entertainment. And we also use the bigger matches as vacation time. The wife and I get to travel to different places, meet some new folks and reunite with old friends; the wife gets to travel and I don’t get too bored. Basically it’s word of mouth to friends and co-workers. I tell them what works for me. I work with mostly 40-50’ish types, so that's the group I mostly hit up. They bring in the younger members of their family.

Coho

I'm new and what I'm about to say will be considered blasphemy. The costumes are the least appealing part of SASS. I joined up DESPITE costuming. The main attractions for me were shooting cool guns and hanging out with really nice people. Every non-SASS person I know that likes guns is interested when I tell them about SASS until I get to the costuming part. Then they just go blank and change the subject. I know, I know. It all started because a bunch of guys wanted to dress up and play cowboy. Got it. The problem is when you over emphasize the costuming part you exclude 95% of the gun enthusiasts. They just want to shoot, not play dress up.

It seems to me that in most of the videos I've seen of the real serious CAS shooters hardly any of them do more than pay lip service to the costuming requirement. Yeah, they're legal but that's about it. Let's stop pretending that everbody places as much emphasis on costuming as we do shooting. We don't. Particularly at the upper echelons of the sport. That being the case if you want to increase membership why don't we relax the costuming rules a bit. Dress up if you want but don't make it mandatory.

Let's see...you joined in August of 2014....when you refer to top shooter's, who exactly are you talking about? I think you might want to be in the sport a bit longer so you can talk from experience and not from videos.

Just my too scents

KK

I had a shooter acquaintance tell me, "I love the hardware but I can't stand the Halloween costuming". I told him, "Well then with that attitude you'd better just stay home. The only thing stopping him was the clothing aspect. Idiot! :P

I, for one, like costuming and there are a lot of others....someone earlier mentioned seeing top shooters dressing to the minimum....

It's ironic when Deuce Stevens, Red River Ray, Sante Fe River, T Bone and others sport their chaps, etc....and other times I see them with a strip down version. They still wear hats, shirt, pants, boots,....and they look western. I'm not a top shooter, but I wear the chaps, cuffs, vest and whatever I feel like that day. I don't expect everyone to dress like a classic or a B Western, but that's why we have all of the categories we have.

You should also check out Montana Longhair sometime. He is an excellent shooter and generally has a minimum of three knives, several ammo belts, chaps, cuffs, scarf and he doesn't even shoot BW or CC.

KK

Let's see...you joined in August of 2014....when you refer to top shooter's, who exactly are you talking about? I think you might want to be in the sport a bit longer so you can talk from experience and not from videos.

Just my too scents

KK

He nicely stated he was new.

He nicely stated his brief observations and findings.

He nicely stated his opinion on one way to increase partisipation

He was nice about it.

KK, you may not agree with him, but that is OK, your opinion.

Then just the next post down is Rye Miles who put a bad taste in a potential shooters mouth. Could've went into more detail on what little is required for costuming.

I think that within our dreams of growing SASS, there is a reality that perhaps not everyone is ment for SASS

WE CANT COLLAPSE or sports required dress code under the guise of signing up dang near everybody

Or we will soon be just another shooting venue that visually does not stand out

Don't want to dress the minimum, then don't join

That is not a mean statement, just an honest factual one

I spent twenty years in the usaf. Talking about costumes I've wore them my ole adult life first it was green shirt and green pants with a baseball squadron cap with a field jacket in the cooler months then they went to buds. When the desert overseas I wore the three color desert uniform. I got out prior to the a u being issued. When I retired I was lost didn't know what to wear. I settled on jeans and either a tee shirt or a two pocket button up, when I had a job the first year or so before the va got me covered I wore a polo shirt and tan slacks. After that I began trying to define my style while it mainly depended on what I was doing and the wx. Then I started migrating to the western shirts and jeans that I had worn on weekends to go out. That basically fit the bill for sass I've worn hats fore years until about four years ago I started sweating so much just by having the hat on so I've toned it down. For matches I either wear a light colored high crown hat with vent holes or a Kepi. As I shot CAS I began to nut outfits a lot were custom made us army Indian war era uniforms I had one complete wool set with pants, shirt, vest, jacket and then I wore a bunch of Demi /canvas blue two pocket four button pullover shirts with canvas pants, and a polyester vest that doesn't breath so it doesn't get worn much, now I've switched to classic cowboy I've been wearing white cotton pull over period correct shirts I got several at once, then would wear them with the trooper pants of my brown canvas pants that I got for WBAS plus I have a pullover tan shirt like they wore in the movie I even have a pair junipurs or what ever they called plus the gaiters and belt that was pieced together. But after my accident and two years of depression I gain too much weight I had one or two pants that still fit one was a pigskin pair and two were the trooper pants in sky blue one wool and one canvas but I have picket up four more pants since returning to CAS two new and two off the for sale board here. I also ventured out to the cooler cowboy shirt first was white and the latest is a red black paisley pattern with a scarf that matches. At first I wasn't fond of the knit fabric but it is cooler and when temp get over 100 anything helps. I'm having a pair of chaps made so I don't have to weara vest when it's that hot legs don't get hot but upper torso does. I'll probabl make a new gun belt and buy a brown set of long hunter 09 holsters from Kirtpatrick over the winter that way I've got brown leather for cc and black for when in uniform. Actually I'll get a belt from Bianchi western leather won a $100 coupon at outlaw trail that I keep forgetting about. So dressing up isn't much to me you have to be clothed when out in public or people get upset. I bought more guns than clothes to begin with but now I think it balances out.

If they say the costuming is a no go tell them we all wear uniform or outfit for work, church and free time and entertainment. Ask them if they have a long sleeve button up shirt, then ask if they have some wrangler or Levi's if yes great if not see if the have some brown car hart pants if yes the great. Might need the loops and extra pocket removed from an old pair even slacks will work for male pants. Next is footware ask them if they have any one the following footware. Pull on cowboy boot, lace up cowboy boot, lace up work boots with out lug soles, leather shoes. If yes to any of that they have sass legal clothing. Outside in the summer and warmer weather would require a hat and a straw or felt cowboy hat should be used but there are other options. Now as these get involved they will migrate to more period correct clothing naturally or they will not as long as it hasn't gotten worst then they're good to go.

I think when you talk costuming you should so a very basic legal clothing in about four differnt type of outfits plus so mid way dressing then a classic cowboy and bwestern outfit for men, the ladies would need to do something similar with three or four local outfits the meet sass requirements them a masculine outfit for shooting, a feminine outfit for shooting and the the classic cowgirl outfit and a ladies bwestern outfit. Get photos so you can add to a PowerPoint presentation and use in a chronicle article so that everyone sees the range of dress for each sex. If your trying to get someone to come and shoot pull these out and explain what is legal and why so they can see that they probably have the clothes that meet requirements already that the leather and firearms are the expensive and narrow pool of legal items. Walmart carries all the clothes you need to wear for a sass match. Make it easy for them to get hooked if they don't have everything the first time tell the to bring what they have and come out. If they come with you for they day you will outfit them with what they are lacking, if they show up on their own during the match you will get them shooting after the match is over if your club allows it and if they will help with teardown.

The idea is to get them on the range firing the guns meeting the people. Sass will do the rest. Have your club have a walk up day maybe a fifth Saturday type ting where a handful of members bring out an assortment og leather, firearms etc and have a stage or two setup and the individual walk up outfit them with the leather and guns they like and shoot either the club funds the ammo it is donated or do it on the donation option. Set it up so the range either allows the to shoot for free or at least just charge them the range fees. Sometimes that is required for insurance purposes. Ok we have them outfitted, they have sign their lives away walk them thru the loading table , the line with them acting out and pointing at the correct targets to show understanding of safe firearm handleing and comprehension of the stage, then go to the unloading table and simulate unloading the guns just as you would if it was a match . Now if you and them fill they're ready for live fire walk them thru again this time load the guns and keep a good eye on them while they are handling the guns. Get them to the line have the to and three spotters ( actual sass shooters) you don't want newbes spotting they should be watching the shooter for other reasons. Now assist the shooter thru the printed course of fire then clear them from the line and escort them to the unloading table. Have them clear the guns under your supervision until everything is empty them if they want to shoot again have them get back in line unless you need the gear then have them return the gear get a number signup what ever system you use so they can get the gear and get back in line let them shoot up to two times if it's busy but each time they need to donate to the ammo fund if they can if they don't then the next time will be their last since the ammo costs unless the club donated then let them shoot as much as they want after the first time if they don't want to shoot everything fine let them. Make it fun for them at the range and that goes for everyone involved let the worker shoot their ammo if no one is waiting to shoot. If someone walks up run them thru don't take a no for an answer unless they just don't have the time, then let them know when your regular matches are and when the next walk up event will be. Tell them to bring friends next time and have the club print up some pamphlets on sass and one for new shooters with photos of legal outfits, legal firearms links to sass and the shooters hand book the sass wire but let them know that sass is much better than the wire. Let them know about the classifieds section and have links for the local cowboy clubs website and the same if it has a local for sale section or a classified section it the newsletter have some printed up also have several willing shooter do some cowboy business cards to give out. The idea is to let them have fun on the range then fill their arms with paper on CAS and sass where to go to find more info type stuff. This should be recorded for tables at gun shows and the local fair and festival s. Play the newbes along with some regular match video on a loop on one TV or laptop on the other have someone do a video explaining what sass is what your club is the things need to show up and shoot show the range of legal items and if the item could be from a local store , walmart, Sears, NCO, Kmart etc point it out as all but the period design stuff should be emphasized that it was a local purchase and for the period correct item that can not be found locally let them know where it was from hopefully you though ahead and contacted the vendor and had then send cards and sale pages and if they have them catalogs to you and if they are interested in an item fill there hands full of paper. Same with leather and guns plus local club info have a page with the mission statement and contact info for the club officers real names and phone plus the sass name. Also list when all the club events are either in calendar form and or list of event for the next year showing when you annual shoot is if there is one months you don't shoot either for wx or holidays if any. If more that one club in the area have them split the cost of the table tenant etc andshow them how to do a show and recruit possible members, that's how you gonna get new members get out and ask them to show up at a match or newbe walk up. If their is something critical happening politics then have a paper on it but leave politics out if we can.

He nicely stated he was new.

He nicely stated his brief observations and findings.

He nicely stated his opinion on one way to increase partisipation

He was nice about it.

KK, you may not agree with him, but that is OK, your opinion.

Then just the next post down is Rye Miles who put a bad taste in a potential shooters mouth. Could've went into more detail on what little is required for costuming.

Thank you for approving that I can have an opinion. Yes he stated he was new and I acknowledged it. I don't think I said anything that would hurt his feelings. It's just that in promoting this sport I've not once had anyone object to the attire. True, maybe if you are recruiting at another venue you might get an objection, but if you get them at a shoot, get a gun in their hands, let them shoot a scenario they will be hooked.

If you read his opening line he stated he was committing blasphemy....and I really would like to know who the top shooter's are that he's talking about who do not dress according to the rules. I'm just curious.

I love this sport and if I get overprotective at times....sorry about that.

Just my too scents

KK

I think that within our dreams of growing SASS, there is a reality that perhaps not everyone is ment for SASS

WE CANT COLLAPSE or sports required dress code under the guise of signing up dang near everybody

Or we will soon be just another shooting venue that visually does not stand out

Don't want to dress the minimum, then don't join

That is not a mean statement, just an honest factual one

Hate you mention it, but the dress code is collapsing. Steampunk comes to mind, all denim comes to mind as well. Tho steampunk is very colorful and flashy, doesn't come to mind when you think of Cowboy. At this time, I really don't have a problem with SP costumes, because it is a welcome sight over seeing a sea of folks wearing the minimal requirements, which is denim, long sleeve shirt (rolled up/down (or sleeveless) ,,and optional footwear (barefoot, earthwalkers, workboots, cowboy boots, comfy sport shoes (which most are legal).Hats are optional for majority of catagories.

Of course, there are some that still dress the part and I enjoy seeing them in their costume.

Yet, another opinion.

Hate you mention it, but the dress code is collapsing. Steampunk comes to mind, all denim comes to mind as well. Tho steampunk is very colorful and flashy, doesn't come to mind when you think of Cowboy. At this time, I really don't have a problem with SP costumes, because it is a welcome sight over seeing a sea of folks wearing the minimal requirements, which is denim, long sleeve shirt (rolled up/down (or sleeveless) ,,and optional footwear (barefoot, earthwalkers, workboots, cowboy boots, comfy sport shoes (which most are legal).Hats are optional for majority of catagories.Of course, there are some that still dress the part and I enjoy seeing them in their costume.Yet, another opinion.

I hope we stop the collapse before t shirts, running shoes, and or spandex ... in the name of growing sass and keeping your grand kids interested, when you are already fully sponsoring the current requirements

The point of demising returns, may result in, many long term sass shooters just may stay home

I hope we stop the collapse before t shirts, running shoes, and or spandex ... in the name of growing sass and keeping your grand kids interested, when you are already fully sponsoring the current requirements

The point of demising returns, may result in, many long term sass shooters just may stay home

I think the costuming issue is overblown. I don't know anybody who doesn't meet minimal costuming requirements, do you? I think those minimal costuming requirements are part of the game's attraction. They rank right up there with our use of aliases, which to me is another of the games positive points.

many long term sass shooters just may stay home

My point, why are we losing members? Recruiting new members into our game yes, but why are we losing long time CAS shooters? What has happened that made them lose interest? I'm seeing here on the wire and at matches, many that are no longer here nor on the range, and seeing for sales on the classified. Shouldn't we see and ask why they are leaving and maybe its what we need to get and retain members to grow. Growing isn't just what's the highest badge number, but what numbers between that are still active.

It can't be the costuming, nor cost, because they already have. MT

Some are having physical problems I guess. Why intrude in to someone's personal business if your not a close friend. People tend to move on as they age. Not that this activity is any more harder than some of my earlier ones but even then my interests changed over time.

My point, why are we losing members? Recruiting new members into our game yes, but why are we losing long time CAS shooters? What has happened that made them lose interest? I'm seeing here on the wire and at matches, many that are no longer here nor on the range, and seeing for sales on the classified. Shouldn't we see and ask why they are leaving and maybe its what we need to get and retain members to grow. Growing isn't just what's the highest badge number, but what numbers between that are still active.

It can't be the costuming, nor cost, because they already have. MT

Change in interests, different hobbies, family obligations and in this economy MONEY!!!

Change in interests, different hobbies, family obligations and in this economy MONEY!!!

Those are correct,

I quit for three years and am now back, sometimes folks just move on to move on

Sometimes the politics of it can take a toll also

How long did any of us stay in a bowling, pool or dart league etc

Racing, skiing or other shooting venue

Spread the word to new folks, look up old shooters on your own and give them a call it's up to us for the most part

Hate you mention it, but the dress code is collapsing. Steampunk comes to mind, all denim comes to mind as well. Tho steampunk is very colorful and flashy, doesn't come to mind when you think of Cowboy. At this time, I really don't have a problem with SP costumes, because it is a welcome sight over seeing a sea of folks wearing the minimal requirements, which is denim, long sleeve shirt (rolled up/down (or sleeveless) ,,and optional footwear (barefoot, earthwalkers, workboots, cowboy boots, comfy sport shoes (which most are legal).Hats are optional for majority of catagories.

Of course, there are some that still dress the part and I enjoy seeing them in their costume.

Yet, another opinion.

Right now local clubs are just having fun with steampunk to see what kind of interest it generates. Long term, I can see a combined category for B Western and steampunk since they are both all about flashy costumes. "B Punk"? "Steam Western"?

I'm new to SASS so I know my opinion won't count to some. While new to SASS, I'm a long time shooter and reloader. I bought my first cowboy style pistol, a Ruger Super Blackhawk, in 1979 at a grocery store in Lubbock, Texas. Before that I shot and reloaded for 45 ACP, 38 Special, and 357 Mag. I've bought many firearms since then.

I shoot once or twice a week when there isn't snow on the ground. I don't shoot much at SASS affiliated clubs because there aren't any in my area. The closest are a 3 hour drive to the Albuquerque area or a 5 hour drive to the Farmington area. That's just too far to participate much. That's unfortunate because I may not stay with SASS because of that.

The outfit requirement shouldn't be a roadblock to people. If anything, it is just an excuse they give because they don't want to participate. Depending on where you live, the outfit is pretty much what is worn day in day out. What I wear to the dance hall or grocery store meets all SASS requirements except when I wear sandals in the summer.

The two things that turn me off about SASS are the gun Frankensteining and the ridiculously low level loads. I like it that Wild Bunch has both traditional and modern categories, and a minimum power factor. SASS should explore whether having a pro category vs. a stock category would be appealing to shooters. It would be to me. People are always talking about "period correct" but I don't know that all the gun modifications are period correct. Maybe somebody who knows more about guns of the old west knows about that. I don't. I do know that I have no interest in competing against someone who has weapons that are all slicked up, and I will not personally modify my weapons like that because I find it offensive. This is just my opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

Before you get your corset all bunched up, I'm not a newbie trying to change anything. But if SASS wants to attract and retain shooters, it has to be willing to look at different angles just to see if a few modifications might be helpful in attracting and retaining shooters. I really doubt that SASS will get much of a look from the over 50 crowd that is not already involved in shooting. You can't really shoot much if you don't reload and I don't think much of the over 50 crowd is going to invest all of the $$$$$ in guns and reloading equipment if they haven't previously had an interest. They'll buy a Glock and go to the range once or twice a year, if anything.

SASS needs to attract more shooters and stay relevant because the anti-gun crowd is not going to give up. The SASS leadership has to figure out how to do that or pay somebody that can tell them how to properly market the organization. Sometimes a look from someone other than insiders is a good thing.

Right now local clubs are just having fun with steampunk to see what kind of interest it generates. Long term, I can see a combined category for B Western and steampunk since they are both all about flashy costumes. "B Punk"? "Steam Western"?

Until they choose to dress minimum

Legal CAS now with welding goggles

Mark this post

And I hope that I MADD mike is wrong

Next shooter

I'm new to SASS so I know my opinion won't count to some. Your opinion will count.

The two things that turn me off about SASS are the gun Frankensteining and the ridiculously low level loads. I like it that Wild Bunch has both traditional and modern categories, and a minimum power factor. SASS should explore whether having a pro category vs. a stock category would be appealing to shooters. It would be to me. People are always talking about "period correct" but I don't know that all the gun modifications are period correct. Maybe somebody who knows more about guns of the old west knows about that. I don't. I do know that I have no interest in competing against someone who has weapons that are all slicked up, and I will not personally modify my weapons like that because I find it offensive. This is just my opinion. Nothing more nothing less. Except for the really serious shooters SASS gun mods are not that expensive. Super low loads are generally counter productive. Some people think .32 pistols are an unfair advantage, but I am not so sure.

Before you get your corset all bunched up, I'm not a newbie trying to change anything. But if SASS wants to attract and retain shooters, it has to be willing to look at different angles just to see if a few modifications might be helpful in attracting and retaining shooters. I really doubt that SASS will get much of a look from the over 50 crowd that is not already involved in shooting. You can't really shoot much if you don't reload and I don't think much of the over 50 crowd is going to invest all of the $$$$$ in guns and reloading equipment if they haven't previously had an interest. They'll buy a Glock and go to the range once or twice a year, if anything.

I did. I know a lot of others who did.

SASS needs to attract more shooters and stay relevant because the anti-gun crowd is not going to give up. The SASS leadership has to figure out how to do that or pay somebody that can tell them how to properly market the organization. Sometimes a look from someone other than insiders is a good thing. Agreed, but I don't think an ad in Frontsight is going to do much.

Thought about this some more. There is a split in a Pre 9/11 and Post 9/11 World. As a result of constant News Feed, Movies, etc over the War on Terror with all the Gadgets.

As a direct result we know have Black Rifles, Tactical Matches, Military Style Firearms, those are the new Fads. Tie this in with Paint ball exposure, Video games catering to Military or Modern Style Firearms and what we do may seem as "Quaint" to new shooters.

Couple that with the Multiple gun and Costume Requirements we have, the special loads we use, and we DO take more investment to get started.

Having Branched out into Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge, Skeet and Sporting Clays I can tell you that you normally can't just "grab and go" to a CAS Match compared to almost any other Shooting Sport.

The People I see shooting CAS are almost Overwhelmingly White, Middle Class, Retired. Why? We have the Disposable Income and Time!

Do I see a fix? Or do I feel we need to recruit more?

I think we will have a core group that will slowly age us out. Just as my MOPAR Club is losing out to Fast and the Furious Style Cars of the younger set and just as our Muscle Cars took over from the Model T and old Hot Rod Clubs.

And for me the constant rule changes, the endless tinkering with Classes, didn't make it any better.

And finally, Dropping the Chronicle for me meant the last Physical Link with SASS was gone. And with that our single Best Advertisement and Recruiting Tool!

Archived