SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Shirt Legal

C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100

My problem isn't with the rule, it's with the idea of asking everyone at a match to roll their sleeves down to demonstrate they hadn't sewed them up. I would resent the hell out of that.

Every one?

What, all two + or - that roll em up

I have shirts missing buttons, that it have not taken the time to sew back on

This post is silly in so many ways

John Wayne would never sew his long sleeved shirt up, maybe his pants cuff, but not is shirt

Folks, let's go shoot somewhere this weekend, see if this problem rears it's head and report back if it does

Wow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell that to Chuckaroo (post #52) & PWB (post #61).

Wait, I bet they read it.

If you read my post clearly, it said if someone came to me with a complaint, I would ask the shooter to roll down their sleves, no one else.

Every one?

What, all two + or - that roll em up

I have shirts missing buttons, that it have not taken the time to sew back on

This post is silly in so many ways

John Wayne would never sew his long sleeved shirt up, maybe his pants cuff, but not is shirt

Folks, let's go shoot somewhere this weekend, see if this problem rears it's head and report back if it does

Wow

We shot today and had a blast! A few folks rolled up their sleeves and some didn't. Nobody seemed offended by those that did, and nobody checked for illegal shirt modifications. All is well. Now on to the next issue.....

We shot today and had a blast! A few folks rolled up their sleeves and some didn't. Nobody seemed offended by those that did, and nobody checked for illegal shirt modifications. All is well. Now on to the next issue.....

I totally agree

Some times I do not button all of my shirt buttons to the collar

Same thing only different

I think it was our hero Philly Slim once or more shot a match dressed as Mongo. Was he illegal at that time? Well yes I suppose he was but I bet no-one said anything or even muttered under their breath.

We shot today on a nice day. Not too hot just right little breeze. First match I finished since the cooler days of spring.

Still wore the cowboy cooler shirt not rolled up with fire engine red garters.

Blew the rubber hose snake in half and the short portion went flying over the line. Good enuff for the girls I go with.

Came home quaffed a Lone Star light and took a nap. Life is good...

I think it was our hero Philly Slim once or more shot a match dressed as Mongo. Was he illegal at that time? Well yes I suppose he was but I bet no-one said anything or even muttered under their breath.

There WAS "muttering" about that outfit.

<_<

No sleeves are not short sleeves.

Look up the definition of a vest.

We shot today on a nice day. Not too hot just right little breeze. First match I finished since the cooler days of spring.

Blew the rubber hose snake in half and the short portion went flying over the line. Good enuff for the girls I go with.

Wow I never thot of it like that. A vest, I do declare. Bet that chapped the chobies of the mutterers!

Yes it DID...assuming I know WTH that means.

;)

5025-116_FOG00-ALT-ROLLED_view1_1000x100

Don't think I'm trying to stir any pots, but what about a shirt that's got this contraption on it? I don't roll up my sleeves at matches, so this is just a curiosity for me. My gut feeling from the thread is that most would see it as OK because it's not permanent ... provided that little doo dad isn't too modern for our time period. Since I don't know what it's called, I can't look up when it was born.

Wow,

I am watching Cheyenne the black and white wester right now

He has his cuff rolled back one time

Barely showing his wrist

I think it is time for a distance ruling, sewed back or not

How far up the arm is acceptable,

AND now DUE TO THE WIRE, we know vest don't have sleeves LOL

Just kidding

How many were on the CAS range this weekend?

I WAS, and I never seen a steampunk or semi / fully rolled up sleeve

Thank the heavens above, we did not have to address such potential infractions

We all shot and had a most wonderful time

Well I roll up my sleeves 99% of the time (winter, spring, summer and fall). Why do some people insist on bringing up one damn thing after another, next thing you know they'll be concerned about what side of your drawers that you pack your package. If you are dumb and lazy enough to sew up your sleeves, then it's your problem when you get a DQ. Hell I have shot several matches here lately wear the damn hats should be in question more then anything else and footwear where you can clearly see the lugs on the side of their boots. Often is the case of that yes you know, but you get a free pass because of who you know (buddy, wink wink, nod nod).

Well I roll up my sleeves 99% of the time (winter, spring, summer and fall). Why do some people insist on bringing up one damn thing after another, next thing you know they'll be concerned about what side of your drawers that you pack your package. If you are dumb and lazy enough to sew up your sleeves, then it's your problem when you get a DQ. Hell I have shot several matches here lately wear the damn hats should be in question more then anything else and footwear where you can clearly see the lugs on the side of their boots. Often is the case of that yes you know, but you get a free pass because of who you know (buddy, wink wink, nod nod).

Generally speaking, people like order, rules and fairness.

Figure of speech for many pards: 'If I have to obey the rules that I may not feel strong about, then one would expect all to obey the rules or pay the 'price'

A violation of an insignificant rule is about the same as a violation of a significant rule to some pards and can/could be considered a form of cheating.

Define 'insignificant' and 'significant'? It is different for all and all have a different boiling point.

For you HM, shirt sleeves doesn't trip your trigger but hats & boots do.

FWIW, I own both long and short sleeved shirts. When I decide to wear long sleeves, they are all the way down and buttoned.

I don't own any hacked off (no arm sleeve material) , 7-8 button down shirts, with tails, now called vest.

My vest are 4-5 button/snapped (I just looked) , constructed of 18oz wool (filson), or heavy denim/canvas, and no tails long enough to tuck in. Some work (Carhartt) vest have zippers but I don't use them for SASS.

I always kinda though that people were allowed (summer relaxed fashion??) to roll up their sleeves because of the extreme heat/humidity where they lived. just like all bets are off for extreme rain/snow/wind/sleet/mud weather. I now stand very corrected.

How can you even roll the sleeves up on those shirts? They have no buttons or cuff cuts. I roll up my sleeves 95% of the time. That's one thing I don't like about them shirts.....you can't roll up the sleeves.

Posted Today, 04:20 AM

Well I roll up my sleeves 99% of the time (winter, spring, summer and fall). Why do some people insist on bringing up one damn thing after another, next thing you know they'll be concerned about what side of your drawers that you pack your package. If you are dumb and lazy enough to sew up your sleeves, then it's your problem when you get a DQ. Hell I have shot several matches here lately wear the damn hats should be in question more then anything else and footwear where you can clearly see the lugs on the side of their boots.

...question re: the "lug" soles...were they being worn by CC or BW shooters?...if NOT, they were LEGAL.

Often is the case of that yes you know, but you get a free pass because of who you know (buddy, wink wink, nod nod).

I always kinda though that people were allowed (summer relaxed fashion??) to roll up their sleeves because of the extreme heat/humidity where they lived. just like all bets are off for extreme rain/snow/wind/sleet/mud weather. I now stand very corrected.

REF post #67

Okay, you want another page, I'll help. :o;)

This weekend, a male had a shirt with the sleeves cut off just below the elbow. I asked him if he wore that to a SASS match (this was not a SASS match). He asked why he shouldn’t. I said it was short sleeve. He said it was below the elbow...

What says the Wire?

Okay, you want another page, I'll help. :o;)

This weekend, a male had a shirt with the sleeves cut off just below the elbow. I asked him if he wore that to a SASS match (this was not a SASS match). He asked why he shouldn’t. I said it was short sleeve. He said it was below the elbow...

What says the Wire?

I call BS on that one...try that at OR State, WR or EoT & see what happens.

<_<

Generally speaking, people like order, rules and fairness.

Figure of speech for many pards: 'If I have to obey the rules that I may not feel strong about, then one would expect all to obey the rules or pay the 'price'

A violation of an insignificant rule is about the same as a violation of a significant rule to some pards and can/could be considered a form of cheating.

Define 'insignificant' and 'significant'? It is different for all and all have a different boiling point.

For you HM, shirt sleeves doesn't trip your trigger but hats & boots do.

FWIW, I own both long and short sleeved shirts. When I decide to wear long sleeves, they are all the way down and buttoned.

I don't own any hacked off (no arm sleeve material) , 7-8 button down shirts, with tails, now called vest.

My vest are 4-5 button/snapped (I just looked) , constructed of 18oz wool (filson), or heavy denim/canvas, and no tails long enough to tuck in. Some work (Carhartt) vest have zippers but I don't use them for SASS.

To reiterate my post, yes you should wear a long sleeve shirt and if you roll it up and it doesn't break the rules then that's fine. If you are dumb enough to stitch or snap your sleeves, then you get a DQ. The footwear on the other hand should had been much clearer on my post, but Sears Die Hard and Wolverine boots are beyond lugged soles and acceptable footwear.

Happy Trails!

What I meant by lug soles is my disdain for the folks that wear Wolverines and Die Hard work boots, to me that is not acceptable. My Ariat lace ups have the grip bottoms, but when you look at the outside of my shoes you don't see a bunch of alligator teeth.

Hy jack alert

I have not seen lugs or no lugs on shirt sleeves

This is the entertainment part of the wire folks

If a fellow shooter rolls up his selves and has non visible studded tires studs,,,, as a mod ,,, to their foot ware, is he still legal

It's a dangged joke folks

To reiterate my post, yes you should wear a long sleeve shirt and if you roll it up and it doesn't break the rules then that's fine. If you are dumb enough to stitch or snap your sleeves, then you get a DQ. The footwear on the other hand should had been much clearer on my post, but Sears Die Hard and Wolverine boots are beyond lugged soles and acceptable footwear.

Happy Trails!

Highly probable that no one will check a short/hacked/long sleeve that appears to be rolled up to see if it is stiched, or even if it is long.,,,

Good luck trying to paddle up the water falls on this one about lug soles. You might meet Lone Dog in the eddies at the bottom of the falls.

I shall see if I can identify a 'Sears Die Hard' boot to see what you are referring to.

Edit: I see that Sears Die Hard boots are not even lugged.. Or at least the page and pictures I pulled up. Oh well!!

How can you even roll the sleeves up on those shirts? They have no buttons or cuff cuts. I roll up my sleeves 95% of the time. That's one thing I don't like about them shirts.....you can't roll up the sleeves.

Don't know, never tried. I sunburn easy so I never roll up any sleeves, grandpa never did either, being a dirt farmer for 80 plus years. Grandpa may have had a short sleeved shirt or three hanging in the closet that some unthinking grandchild gifted him but he never wore one not even onect til the day he rode over the ridge at 95.

They make those cooler shirts for orangatans so I have to use the garters to keep them up and outa the way of closing the double barrel etc.

Archived