SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Shirt Legal

C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100

Hmm, that was not the understanding that I took away from the OP when you wrote:

Something along the line of "Is this within the rules?" would have been more serious-like.

Just my view from the saddle.

Good luck, GJ

GJ - I agree with you. Your suggestion "about within the rules" would have been better. Thanks

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose any club could declare a relaxed all season dress code with whatever they choose to relax.

That appears to be what is happening around me,,, relaxed dress code.

Hmm, rolled up sleeves hasn't been one of them, but I suppose it will be by next month.

Let me make sure I understand what you just posted. Are you saying that "rolled up sleeves" are or should be an element of a "Relaxed" dress code?

Phantom

Let me make sure I understand what you just posted. Are you saying that "rolled up sleeves" are or should be an element of a "Relaxed" dress code?

Phantom

They sure could be Phantom. Rolled up, pinned, sewed, buttoned, hacked off to 3/4 length, whatever.

I know a club that doesn't care what footwear shooters use,,,, just come out and shoot. So they have a year round relaxed footwear policy.

I have already been told that long sleeves, no matter how they are worn, meet the rule.

Then there is Post # 25.

Mack Hacker, #60477, on 22 Sept 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

If the stitches are visible, this might be classified as an illegal external mod. :P

As long as the stitches are hidden, this would appear to be a legal short stroke. ^_^

Better bring a tape measure and make sure is legal length. :D If he wears blue jeans at the same time could be a real problem. :blink::D

I feel certain no one ever rolled their long sleeves up in western times, I mean what would they have been possibly thinking! :unsure::wacko::blink:

Fairly simple in my mind:

Is it or is it not a long sleeve shirt? Oh, it is.....Okay, your legal. Next Shooter!

Sheesh!

WK

Just don't get WHY he would want to sew them up that way?

As PaleWolf posted.

About the only reason I could think of is they are just to lazy to roll them up each time. :(

Or is he just not smart enough to roll them up to where they would stay. :huh:

Dirt and stuff would collect in there making it harder to wash out. Makes no sense to me.

I am having a problem seeing what the difference in sewing them after rolling them up versus rolling them up and putting a garter over them. If sewn on under arm part, how could you even tell if they were sewn up?

Could the answer be within the word "ethics".

As PWB stated in Post #25, a long sleeved shirt sewn into a short sleeve shirt is illegal and a SDQ. Which is was I was trying to verify for another Shooter.

As many stated, No one would check, no one would know - but the Shooter would know.

As a shooter, now knowing it is illegal, would you do it - knowing you would not be checked and discovered?

I do not believe any of you would really now do it !

They sure could be Phantom. Rolled up, pinned, sewed, buttoned, hacked off to 3/4 length, whatever.I know a club that doesn't care what footwear shooters use,,,, just come out and shoot. So they have a year round relaxed footwear policy.I have already been told that long sleeves, no matter how they are worn, meet the rule.Then there is Post # 25.

In my most humble opinion

They are doing harm to SASS as a whole

They can personally email my indiscretions

Sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

My feet hurt me more each year of my age of development, and I am weight proportioned to height and age due to hard work, knowledge and practice.

Even so, a few hours of matching the period of which you seem to be drawn to, is very much worth the effort, or stay home, go bowling, go to the movies, play bingo etc.

Tell the shooter to beware. I follow PaleWolfs advice and I will be the RO for the NE Regional.

If someone comes to me and complains, I will ask the shooter to show me that they are long sleeves. If he can roll them down, we are satisfied.

Tell the shooter to beware. I follow PaleWolfs advice and I will be the RO for the NE Regional.

If someone comes to me and complains, I will ask the shooter to show me that they are long sleeves. If he can roll them down, we are satisfied.

Simple, at the Shooters Meeting,ask all to roll down their sleeves. Tell them to look to the Pard on their left, then the right. After that, then tell them they can roll their sleeves back up if they wish.

Trust,, but verify.

It's still a long sleeved shirt even if sewn, IMHO, of course.

Is it legal to place a shirt on a dead horse, and then roll up one of the sleeves so every one can have a chance to take it's pulse?

And, is it legal to cover the ass end of said dead horse with a pair of Wranglers?

Simple, at the Shooters Meeting,ask all to roll down their sleeves. Tell them to look to the Pard on their left, then the right. After that, then tell them they can roll their sleeves back up if they wish.

Trust,, but verify.

LOL, I'll go to a match where they ask me to roll down my sleeves, once. My response will probably be no and then laugh in your face.

The idea of sewing the sleeves up is stupid bad. Yeah I said it, it's stupid bad.

Asking folks to roll down their sleeves is even stupider bad'er'

Gonna check my underwear next?

There is no "underwear rule"...there IS one regarding SHORT-SLEEVE shirts.

If someone wants to risk a STAGE DISQUALIFICATION over an item of such little importance (according to most of the responses here), then, to quote UB, "GO AHEAD!".

Getting SDQ'd for an illegal item/equipment violation would be STUPID.

IMO.

<_<

LOL, I'll go to a match where they ask me to roll down my sleeves, once. My response will probably be no and then laugh in your face.

The idea of sewing the sleeves up is stupid bad. Yeah I said it, it's stupid bad.

Asking folks to roll down their sleeves is even stupider bad'er'

Gonna check my underwear next?

Tell that to Chuckaroo (post #52) & PWB (post #61).

Wait, I bet they read it.

I'm sure they did. So? Chuckeroo mentioned checking one person, not everyone at the match.

Don't try to deflect things. I'm talking specifically about your idea and the idea of sewing up sleeves.

You think they're going to require every cowboy at the match to prove they have long sleeved shirts? Hey, why not check all the short strokes too?

There might be a BP shooter who's a little light too. Gonna check all of them too?

I'm sure they did. So? Chuckeroo mentioned checking one person, not everyone at the match.

Don't try to deflect things. I'm talking specifically about your idea and the idea of sewing up sleeves.

You think they're going to require every cowboy at the match to prove they have long sleeved shirts? Hey, why not check all the short strokes too?

There might be a BP shooter who's a little light too. Gonna check all of them too?

It was only a suggestion to Chuckaroo and I suppose, any other MD.

They can do as they wish.

Since you went ballistic with my suggestion, I suppose you would go ballistic if a MD asked you specifically. Not much difference.

I really don't think anything will happen with this.. The camels nose & body has been in the tent (figure of speech) for a looooong time concerning this matter.

Have a pleasent evening.

Just to clarify the issue somewhat...rolling long sleeves up IS LEGAL (there seems to be a minor disconnect somewhere on this for some folks)

Permanently (or semi-permanently) SEWING them in place = ILLEGAL SHORT SLEEVES (for MALE competitors only)

I originally posted the question to answer a question from another shooter. Apparently I did not express the question as best as it could have been expressed, as GJ pointed out. He is correct.

There are several items in SASS Rules that many find silly, meaningless or poorly worded. My sense is that even PWB finds that to be the case.

But the Rule is the Rule until it changed. We all have the ethical obligation to follow the Rules. The Rule on short sleeve shirts has been clarified by PWB.

Frankly, I would like the Rule modified, but not enough to make an official suggestion - not that important to me. But until the Rule is modified I will obey and enforce the Rule, as I do all other Rules - that is our obligation. Otherwise, we have anarchy in the Rules.

For anyone who feels strongly enough to propose a Rule change, do so. Otherwise, let's move on. PWB has answered the question posted- twice. Should be enough.

For those who wish to continue, I suggest you start a new thread. Make the issue about gender equality. Women can employ short sleeve shirts or no sleeves, under the Rules. Give us something to fret over during the winter.

My problem isn't with the rule, it's with the idea of asking everyone at a match to roll their sleeves down to demonstrate they hadn't sewed them up. I would resent the hell out of that.

That was only one mans stupid suggestion,no match director I ever met would do such a thing at a shooters meeting

Wow, ain't the wire funn

It was only a suggestion to Chuckaroo and I suppose, any other MD.

They can do as they wish.

Since you went ballistic with my suggestion, I suppose you would go ballistic if a MD asked you specifically. Not much difference.

I really don't think anything will happen with this.. The camels nose & body has been in the tent (figure of speech) for a looooong time concerning this matter.

Have a pleasent evening.

I'm not prone to going ballistic. If an MD asked me to prove I was in compliance with any rule I would do so. The circumstances surrounding the request and the manner of asking would influence whether I ever shot there again afterwards.

I suggest that anyone leveling a charge like that against another shooter be themselves subject to the applicable penalty if it turns out their accusation is baseless. That would cut down the complaints.

Have a pleasant morning.

Archived