SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Shirt Legal

C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100

A male SASS Shooter, who chooses to wear a shirt, is required to wear a long sleeve shirt. The male Shooter can not wear a short sleeve shirt.

The male Shooter may roll up the sleeves of the long sleeve shirt and even use arm garters to hold the rolled up sleeves in place.

A male shooter rolls up the sleeves of his long sleeve shirt and chooses to tack(sew, etc.) the rolled up sleeves to hold them in place permanently.

For a long sleeve shirt in this condition is:

1. the shirt still considered long sleeved - Legal ?

or

2. has the shirt be converted into a short sleeve shirt - Illegal ?

Does anyone care ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fer my money, and this is just my opinion, long sleeves are required for men. I think that means they should be down, not rolled up, pushed up, folded up, gartered up, or pinned up.

Let me get this straight now. The "Costume Sheriff" is going to come around at the safety meeting and inspect everybody's sleeves.

It's Texas, It's August, it's 0845, it's 88 degrees, and the humidity is already at 95 percent. Do I really give a fat rats rear as to if you roll up your sleeves or how you hold them up.

Next Shooter. PLEASE!

I'm gonna try that. My sleeves are usually rolled up by the time I leave my driveway so sewing them in that position might be pretty clever.

Underwear? Just call me the "Comando Cowboy" :)

One reason for gartered sleeves in those early Western and Western frontier days, was that ready-made (store-bought) clothing was available in a limited range of sizes. For shirts, there was often just one, maybe two sizes, with sleeves all being pretty long. To keep the sleeves from bunching up onto the hands, the fairly tight sleeve garters were employeed high up on the arms and the excesss sleeve length, was pulled back up on the upper side of the garters.

One reason for gartered sleeves in those early Western and Western frontier days, was that ready-made (store-bought) clothing was available in a limited range of sizes. For shirts, there was often just one, maybe two sizes, with sleeves all being pretty long. To keep the sleeves from bunching up onto the hands, the fairly tight sleeve garters were employeed high up on the arms and the excesss sleeve length, was pulled back up on the upper side of the garters.

Wow...Thank you for that information...I'm sure that no one here knew this!!

You are a wealth of information!!!!!

;)

That por-horse is get'n it again- :lol:

BTW-I roll mine up to mid arm.

Think'n about roll'n me pants legs up too- :P

LG

You shouldn't. Why? Because you'd bring back the ancient art of tar-and-feathers, that's why. :wacko:

I'd avoid any shortening of britches unless you got legs like Ann Margaret. Even then I'd advise against it. We don't want any embarrassing incidents, now do we?

Well, maybe you do, but I'd rather not dwell on that, either. :lol:

My question is

Iz it legal for me to roll up my selves, tac/sew them in that location and then

Still wear my leather roping cuffs :-)

That is the real question,,,,,,and probably never even asked before

Wow,,,,,

As long as you wear them 'as intended' so that means you can't wear them as ear rings or what have you and have them still apply as one of the required elements for Classic Cowboy. :D Just don't wear Philly Slim's Wonder Woman roping cuffs...

I shot a local matc once without pants. I DID have my required 5+ items of clothing required as a Classic Cowboy. However i never roll my sleeves as i considered it part of the "all items must be properly worn" rule. I know, i know, i know some live in a hot climate right? I live on the edge of death valley! I say do as you want, NO there doesnt need to be an official rule, but in my mind long sleeves were meant to be worn, um,LONG!!!!

Thanks for the fun responses.

The Shooter going to the NE Regional (who asked me the question), told me it looks like it is OK for his wife to sew some of his long shirts into short sleeve shirts for him.

REally?

<_<

It seems to me, FWIW, that PERMANENTLY sewing the sleeves up makes it a SHORT sleeve shirt...which would be ILLEGAL...subject to a SDQ.

Is he willing to risk the call on that just because he's too lazy to roll the sleeves up on his shirts when he puts them on??

But, then, who is going to bother to check to see if they've been "tacked" or sewn in place?

He and his wife (and you) will probably be the only ones who KNOW what he's had done...with the blessings of those few Wire responders who don't care one way or the other.

If the stitches are visible, this might be classified as an illegal external mod. :P

As long as the stitches are hidden, this would appear to be a legal short stroke. ^_^

Does anyone care ?

Not me.

FM

I shot a local matc once without pants. I DID have my required 5+ items of clothing required as a Classic Cowboy. However i never roll my sleeves as i considered it part of the "all items must be properly worn" rule. I know, i know, i know some live in a hot climate right? I live on the edge of death valley! I say do as you want, NO there doesnt need to be an official rule, but in my mind long sleeves were meant to be worn, um,LONG!!!!

Me to, and

they make a great sun blocker as well folks

Well, that's the way and the reason I wear garters, but dangit, I thought I had an original idea. Here I am being accidentally period correct with those and can't be bothered to get anything better than motorcycle boots for my feet.

PWB;

I figured that when I said someone was really going to do it, I might get a serious response versus fun responses.. And he really was. I expect not now.

I told him, I thought it would be illegal - as that would be a conversion to a short sleeve shirt. But I would post the question.

The answers before yours gave him the impression that no one cared and he could do it.

I am pleased you responded. The question was asked to me as a serious question. I tried to post it as such.

Thanks.

The question was asked to me as a serious question. I tried to post it as such.

Hmm, that was not the understanding that I took away from the OP when you wrote:

Does anyone care ?

Something along the line of "Is this within the rules?" would have been more serious-like.

Just my view from the saddle.

Good luck, GJ

Archived