SASS Wire Forum

Pietta Pepperbox/Peppermill Pistol (Ha Illiteration!)

Come On Christmas

Can you shoot a Pietta Pepperbox Pistol in a match? It's .36 cal. 6 shot. Frontiersman of course. Maybe not super authentic, but more-so than a Ruger, huh? The peppermill is on an 1851 frame.

Anyone have one? I assume it is single action and not a twister.

What comes with it to load it? I assume a black powder rifle ball starter actual or homemade with brass rod would do the trick.

I know this ain't everybody's cup of tea, but Ha! How fun is this?

Holster? Pretty easy to make one.

One of Mark Twain's characters shot a pepperbox from a train in "Roughing It". The character was shooting at a cow and kept missing it if memory serves. "Only when the cow moved did it come to mischief."

Crayfish

yet another alias of Shameless Womanizer

There is no rule on barrel length BUT this thing has NO barrel. I do not think you can consider the smoothbore chamber ahead of the seated ball to be a barrel.

SO, do not think so since the thing basically has no barrel. You can shorten a barrel down to one inch or even less I guess but you do have to have an actual barrel I do believe. SCMIIAW

Hey Al, maybe I could shoot it in Gunfighter just to be fair?

Well you think you would have known the rules for GRer.

But you just like make stuff up as you go. To heck with everyone

else and what the rules are.

It sure was not because you was busy doing any posse work.

Did not figure out who you was until a few days later.

But I guess the rest of the folks was able to do all the work while you just stood around. :angry:

You think you would have had time to do some posse work. What with not listening to the scenario

and waiting to you was ready to stage guns and then have to be told what to do on every stage.

Only then to not go by the rules and then go back and stand around while everyone else worked.

The Pietta Frankenpistol isn't a replica of anything nor a "period" original. It is really neat though. In actual firearms parlance, everything forward of the powder and ball is considered "barrel." Kind of like, is a .45 ACP all chamber ..... Or all barrel?? In the covenants, there are rules about what you can do TOO a barrel. There is no requirement there actually has to BE a barrel. I suppose the possibility that someone would show up without a barrel never came up.

No matter. The thing isn't a period original, nor a replica of a period original, therefore, not acceptable as a main match handgun.

I personally had a real lust for a pair of em at one time. There were actually a few imported by EMF to explore market interest, which was close to non-existent, and they (the guns) faded into the sunset.

Now, they may be coming back. I wouldn't expect sales to be brisk, however. If the guns do make a brief reappearance, the probably won't be around too long.

Oh, don't yell about Ruger not being an original nor replica, yada yada ... granted exception status long ago.

Coffinmaker

"Oh, don't yell about Ruger not being an original nor replica, yada yada ... granted exception status long ago."

Coffinmaker

Just comparing. They a fine gun.

Well you think you would have known the rules for GRer.

But you just like make stuff up as you go. To heck with everyone

else and what the rules are.

It sure was not because you was busy doing any posse work.

Did not figure out who you was until a few days later.

But I guess the rest of the folks was able to do all the work while you just stood around. :angry:

You think you would have had time to do some posse work. What with not listening to the scenario

and waiting to you was ready to stage guns and then have to be told what to do on every stage.

Only then to not go by the rules and then go back and stand around while everyone else worked..

Just trying out something I had not considered before. Due to my LEGENDARY slow hands I am no threat.

I thought it was funny. It made my buddy Mitch Dalton extremely angry. Especially when he noticed you were wearing your shotgun belt "Closer to your nipples than your belly button."

Nor am I a rules Lemming.

What is a Lemming? A Lemming is a rodent that every once in a while rushes in a great herd to dive off a cliff only to drown in the sea.

Even had someone make fun of my 1896 Nagant revolvers manufactured in 1933 and 1943. "Cheap Pistols"? Think about it. My pistols are blooded. And a cold war trophy that I think cannot be imported anymore.

Standing around was I? No, I was sitting alot. The arthritis in my right knee was troubling me. My two buddies talked me into shooting that day. "Judge not lest ye be . . . "

Crayfish

AKA Shameless Womanizer

The Ruger is not a "replica or a reproduction." But it IS a new gun made in the style of the firearms used back in the day.

The Henry Big Boy is not a replica or a reproduction, either, but it is a new gun made in the style of firearms used back in the day.

The aforementioned 'Frankenpistol' is also not a replica or a reproduction, but to me, it does look like something that could have existed back in the day, or, you could call it a modern gun made in the style of what they were back in the day.

From that perspective, I would not have a problem with somone using it as a main match gun.

Heck, I'd like to have one cartridge converted. :)

Just trying out something I had not considered before. Due to my LEGENDARY slow hands I am no threat.

I thought it was funny. It made my buddy Mitch Dalton extremely angry. Especially when he noticed you were wearing your shotgun belt "Closer to your nipples than your belly button."

Nor am I a rules Lemming.

What is a Lemming? A Lemming is a rodent that every once in a while rushes in a great herd to dive off a cliff only to drown in the sea.

Even had someone make fun of my 1896 Nagant revolvers manufactured in 1933 and 1943. "Cheap Pistols"? Think about it. My pistols are blooded. And a cold war trophy that I think cannot be imported anymore.

Standing around was I? No, I was sitting alot. The arthritis in my right knee was troubling me. My two buddies talked me into shooting that day. "Judge not lest ye be . . . "

Crayfish

AKA Shameless Womanizer

I wear it legal. As it has been the same place for 9 years at many different EOT's, regionals and different state matches. The whole bottom half is covering my navel.

As you see. I go by the rules. And if he thought it was illegal. Why did he not call it. Think he may need to read that rule book also.

I know your friend got mad. Did not care as he did not do any posse work either.

Guess he fells it is ok to just throw the rule book out while the rest of us work so you can shoot and sit.

The rule book is NOT JUST FOR THE FAST SHOOTERS. It's for EVERYONE there.

Just because you are a slow shooter does not mean you get to do anything you want.

You got away with it on the stage before as I was not the TO or spotter. If you want to shoot GFer

Would think you could at least listen to the stage instructions.

Like the time you left your posse to hide out on another stage and shoot at a different posses

clay birds. Guess you think you had a right to shoot at another posses targets all the while

leavening your posse to do all the work so you can go play some more.

Archived