SASS Wire Forum

An Open Apology to France

I will make one more comment re the French. Much is made of their supposed "cowardice"... I think their failure in battle is more to do with their collective psyche and inability to agree with each other or follow instructions... Probably makes for an ineffective army. Just a theory.

What isn't a theory, however, is that I lived in the south of France for 10 years and had the honor and privilege to know many ex-resistance fighters. The stories they could tell, if you could persuade them, would curl your hair and your toes. Bravery doesn't even begin to describe it.

Don't be too quick to judge...

I do believe the US wasn't the only one in those fights. My grandfather and great grandfather gave much in each, to be sure. Be careful you don't end up believing your own Hollywood hype!

English Bob

Very true, We have a history of letting others bleed for us as we prepare for war and then end up the big dog in the fight because others have been bled dry. I meant no disrespect to any of the other Allies. I hold France's effort against the Nazi's in WW2 in low estime but not the efforts by individual soldiers of any nation including the French.

The scary thing is that their current stand makes our leadership look poor.

I will make one more comment re the French. Much is made of their supposed "cowardice"... I think their failure in battle is more to do with their collective psyche and inability to agree with each other or follow instructions... Probably makes for an ineffective army. Just a theory.

What isn't a theory, however, is that I lived in the south of France for 10 years and had the honor and privilege to know many ex-resistance fighters. The stories they could tell, if you could persuade them, would curl your hair and your toes. Bravery doesn't even begin to describe it.

Don't get too big a burr under yore saddle about us bashing the French. It's kind of a hobby around here. Those of us who have soldiered or study military history know what the problems have been with the French in the past. And it isn't about fighting spirit, more about corruption and politics.

I also make fun of Marines and Squids but I know well the price they have paid in blood. I do it in the spirit of friendly service rivalry.

My Grandmother was born and raise in Halifax, England, Her dad, Quartermaser R. Thomas, was one of the few survivors of his regiment that went to France in 1915.

And I still might occasionally poke fun at some Brit stuff.

But when the chips are down.....

Don't get too big a burr under yore saddle about us bashing the French. It's kind of a hobby around here. Those of us who have soldiered or study military history know what the problems have been with the French in the past. And it isn't about fighting spirit, more about corruption and politics.

I also make fun of Marines and Squids but I know well the price they have paid in blood. I do it in the spirit of friendly service rivalry.

My Grandmother was born and raise in Halifax, England, Her dad, Quartermaser R. Thomas, was one of the few survivors of his regiment that went to France in 1915.

And I still might occasionally poke fun at some Brit stuff.

I'm with Bob. I've never thought of the French as being "cowardly." One can question much regarding their military history, but I can't think of anything that I would point to as being cowardly, regardless. Like Bob, I joke about the French, among other nations, and the services here in the U.S., including my own, the Army.

But when the chips are down.....

The fish is probably on the floor with them?

As a Brit, bashing the French is also a national pass-time, but despite hundreds of years of animosity it is usually in jest :) . Just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page about what happens when those chips are down. Appreciate the positive comments from all.

Archived