SASS Wire Forum

An Open Apology to France

I have, on occasion, offered snide comments about a perceived reluctance on the part of our French brothers to commit to military engagement until there is no other choice, if then.

And then along came this concise statement of purpose:

‘‘We are facing throat-cutters,’’ French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told a meeting of the UN Security Council that was called to show support for Iraq’s government in battling the militants. ‘‘They rape, crucify, and decapitate. They use cruelty as a means of propaganda. Their aim is to erase borders and to eradicate the rule of law and civil society.’’

And direct action in response:

"Flying from the United Arab Emirates, two French Rafale jets fired four laser-guided bombs to destroy a weapons and fuel depot outside the northern city of Mosul, part of the territory the militants have overrun in Iraq and neighboring Syria, officials said.

An Iraqi military spokesman said dozens of extremist fighters were killed in the strikes."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2014/09/19/france-joins-against-islamic-state-over-iraq/3iCGsFR6eGdudNKDN4Sl0H/story.html

Now, I know it's a drop in the bucket of what will be required...but it's an overt act, by a Western power other than us, and perhaps the beginning of a new willingness to stand and fight for what is right. Maybe. I hope.

Sante!

LL

Yup; and that's good. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Remember the mujahideen? They were our "friends" as long as they were fighting with the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. But when they were fighting with us, not so much.

I'd say the enemy of my enemy is a useful tool. But in this case, France a welcome one.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Remember the mujahideen? They were our "friends" as long as they were fighting with the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. But when they were fighting with us, not so much.

I'd say the enemy of my enemy is a useful tool. But in this case, France a welcome one.

Not permanent friends for life. Just for convenience in a sticky situation, i.e. Russia and us in WWII.

Note: I have poked fun at France, England, The USAF, Marines, Navy, and Army on occasion.

I will never apologise. :D

Said it before, but it bears repeating "Many Western countries, besides the USA, need to put on their big boy pants and step onto the world's foreign relations stage. Otherwise, expect bad actors at your door."

France has a large Muslim population and might be getting a little nervous. While I approve their efforts, they are not doing it for our benefit.

I will give a tip of my hat to France on this one as well. I don't need France to do something for "our" benefit. I respect the fact they are stepping up and taking action against an element that pretty much all civilized countries recognize as incompatible with our way of life. The fact that it puts them on "our" side of the conflict is welcome.

Like UB, I have been somewhat equal opportunity in my comments, although I have been a little extra brutal on France from time to time. Right now, I will just say I'm impressed and I hope they keep it up.

Bob,

Would that be a sign of weekness? :D:D

Old Top

Some fellers would say so. ;)

Not permanent friends for life. Just for convenience in a sticky situation, i.e. Russia and us in WWII.

Note: I have poked fun at France, England, The USAF, Marines, Navy, and Army on occasion.

I will never apologise. :D

;)

GG

It takes more than just two rafales attacking a depot.

It takes many airstrikes with many planes attacking combat units and destroying weapons in use and on the way.

It is a reasonable start. But remember what happened in WW2.

Said it before, but it bears repeating "Many Western countries, besides the USA, need to put on their big boy pants and step onto the world's foreign relations stage. Otherwise, expect bad actors at your door."

This country due to its republic nature doesn't really have any big boy pants as the leaders of the diplomatic corp are political appointees with zip for foreign relations experience. I hope that most of the state dept is an exception to this but so far that has not been proven. The USA has routinely stepped in it diplomatically speaking.

The USA applies its own dumb domestic agendas to international situations and expects the rest of the world to understand .

This country due to its republic nature doesn't really have any big boy pants as the leaders of the diplomatic corp are political appointees with zip for foreign relations experience. I hope that most of the state dept is an exception to this but so far that has not been proven. The USA has routinely stepped in it diplomatically speaking.

The USA applies its own dumb domestic agendas to international situations and expects the rest of the world to understand .

Sadly true.

I met some French diplomats and a few soldiers in the past. Don't know about them now, but I wouldn't mess with those guys. Sadly, most of our career foreign service people don't have much say at the policy level. They just carry out orders from one or another appointee.

I met some French diplomats and a few soldiers in the past. Don't know about them now, but I wouldn't mess with those guys. Sadly, most of our career foreign service people don't have much say at the policy level. They just carry out orders from one or another appointee.

The probpem, as usual, lie at the top.

Bob,

Would that be a sign of weekness? :D:D

Old Top

You know, I never understood this opinion. It's popular in movies, but I've always thought that a real man, when he realizes he has been wrong regarding an issue of substance, should be willing to own up to his mistake and take responsibility for it. It takes guts to look someone in the eyes and say "I was wrong; I'm sorry".

I just don't see weakness in that equation.

LL

A french general was interrogating a British Colonel.

The General asked why the British wore red coats.

The British Colonel said it is so that when we get injured the men around us will not see the blood on our uniform.

Thereafter the french army officer corp started wearing brown trousers.

You know, I never understood this opinion. It's popular in movies, but I've always thought that a real man, when he realizes he has been wrong regarding an issue of substance, should be willing to own up to his mistake and take responsibility for it. It takes guts to look someone in the eyes and say "I was wrong; I'm sorry".

I just don't see weakness in that equation.

LL

That was the opinion of one movie character. Anyone real person who feels that way has problems.

And I've met one or two. ;)

That was the opinion of one movie character. Anyone real person who feels that way has problems.

And I've met one or two. ;)

Are you trying to tell me that movie characters aren't real? If that were true people wouldn't imitate them and movie violence would have no effect on society. Boy, I'm glad that I know that you are kidding.

We shall see if the French have the will to stick with it. They have a huge Muslim population and who knows what percentage of them are ISIS sympathizers and will act domestically. If this happens the French may decide to hang it up pretty quickly, IMHO, of course.

We shall see if the French have the will to stick with it. They have a huge Muslim population and who knows what percentage of them are ISIS sympathizers and will act domestically. If this happens the French may decide to hang it up pretty quickly, IMHO, of course.

Or they may re-elect Nicolas Sarkozy. Isn't he the one who was pretty much willing to tell the Muslim population to pound sand if they didn't like France?

Are you trying to tell me that movie characters aren't real? If that were true people wouldn't imitate them and movie violence would have no effect on society. Boy, I'm glad that I know that you are kidding.

They are as real as one cares to make them. ;)

This whole idea of apologizing to France just isn't working for me.As IO see it they helped us out in the Revolution and sent us a statue. In return we saved them from becoming a German colony...twice. They have refused us their support so many times it's hard to remember them all. I know they wouldn't let us overfly French airspace when we attacked Kadafi, Kicked us out of the country in the 60's and have been pretty obnoxious overall. Somehow one airstrike by two fighters just isn't going to do it for me.

BB:

Understood; my timeframe was pretty much limited to the reported events. And the "apology" was limited to me recognizing their participation, in contrast to my frequent criticism of their passivity.

Credit given where credit is due. Nothing more.

LL

BB:

Understood; my timeframe was pretty much limited to the reported events. And the "apology" was limited to me recognizing their participation, in contrast to my frequent criticism of their passivity.

LL

Well said

BB:

LL

I can understand that, sort of like saying thanks for passing the salt. It doesn't make us life long friends but at least you were courteous.

Though I am not a Francophile, I have often thought in the past 13 years or so that one's best friends have the courage to disagree with you, and tell you when they think you are wrong. Like France did when we went into Iraq.

A person always learns more from those folks holding differing views, than from the yes-men at one's side.

Just the view from my saddle, compadres.

eGG

Though I am not a Francophile, I have often thought in the past 13 years or so that one's best friends have the courage to disagree with you, and tell you when they think you are wrong. Like France did when we went into Iraq.A person always learns more from those folks holding differing views, than from the yes-men at one's side.Just the view from my saddle, compadres.eGG

I think I'd call them a friend, but not a best friend.

In return we saved them from becoming a German colony...twice.

I do believe the US wasn't the only one in those fights. My grandfather and great grandfather gave much in each, to be sure. Be careful you don't end up believing your own Hollywood hype!

English Bob

Though I am not a Francophile, I have often thought in the past 13 years or so that one's best friends have the courage to disagree with you, and tell you when they think you are wrong. Like France did when we went into Iraq.A person always learns more from those folks holding differing views, than from the yes-men at one's side.Just the view from my saddle, compadres.eGG

+100

Archived