SASS Wire Forum

What are the requirements for "STEAMPUNK"

Irish Pat

I wish we were going to Hellfire. I was also looking forward to the Steampunk category. However, Lorelei is still recovering from her surgery, so it's a no-go. Oh, well, maybe next year.......

Laz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are looking forward to being at Hellfire for the first time because we've heard so many good things about it. We also consider it bonus fun that the Steampunk category will be part of it. My bride Sunny is having a major blast preparing. :D

Maybe just think about it like a bunch of Victorian era tourists that ended up sitting down-wind from the Indians smoking peyote... :P:lol:

Thanks Slick for the rare change of pace. ^_^

Make sure y'all take plenty of pictures!

Is Sunny preparing for HF, Steampunk or both?

cr

Both. :D

Make sure y'all take plenty of pictures!

Planning on that for sure Houston. I'm sure there will be PLENTY of good photo opportunities. ^_^

I (Texas Flower) have been interested in Steampunk since I attended a Steampunk seminar at the 2011 SASS Convention. I wrote an article in the February 2012 Chronicle to express my interest and how I was introduced to Steampunk. On occasion, I have dress Steampunk ever since then. Recently, Texas Mac has dressed Steampunk when I talk him into it, and we went to a Steampunk Convention in Dallas, TX this month! While attending seminars at the Steampunk Convention, we were given much information as to how and what Steampunk is all about. First, we were told that the term “steampunk” was not coined until the late 1980s when K. W. Jeter used it humorously to describe a grouping of stories set in the Victorian period written during a time when near-future cyberpunk was the prevailing form of science fiction. “Steam” was used because during the Victorian era steam power revolutionized almost every aspect of life. The “punk” was used as a tongue in cheek reference to the cyberpunk genre rather than a reference to the punk subculture. We were told that if you lived in the Victorian Era, what would you envision future science fiction to look like. During the Victorian Era, Jules Verne Wrote Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea in 1870 and Around the World in Eighty Days in 1873. Victorians would probably use these works as background for envisioning Victorian Science Fiction. Gears and goggles are often associated with Steampunk. The gear was a key part of 19th century machinery and the goggles were associated with both science and mechanical travel. The bottom line was that “Steampunk” is Victorian Science Fiction. We saw many very tasteful costumes based on Victorian dress.

If you would like to read some Steampunk fiction I reccoment the Clockwork Century by Cherie Priest. She does a good job creating a world where the mechanical advancements make sense as well as the use of goggles and other Steampunk staples. I'm on book four of the series, but I'm finding each book is a stand alone novel so you don't have to read them in a particular order. My favorite book in the series has been "Dreadnaught." Here is a link to it. http://www.amazon.com/Dreadnought-Clockwork-Century-Cherie-Priest-ebook/dp/B003P9VZI4/ref=la_B001IOFIHM_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411736799&sr=1-3

Hope you enjoy!

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century.

How long before we see the asking for

Steam operated gun mods LOL

Under the guise of keeping the young interested

Big-fast-close was supposed to be the answer

WOW, what next

If you wish to dress that way and it is CAS legal than do it

And do it with pride,

We do not need a new dress up category with new required or limited equipment

Oh well

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century.

How long before we see the asking for

Steam operated gun mods LOL

Under the guise of keeping the young interested

Big-fast-close was supposed to be the answer

WOW, what next

And do it with pride,

Oh well

Big and fast was not "started" for young shooters. It keeps the masses happy.

And do it with pride,

I'm new, but I agree.

Dressing Steampunk for the weekend at Hell Fire was just good clean fun! :D Most of the costumes were normal CAS clothes with a just few more accessories. The world did not come to an end. ;)

Like has been said... as far as I know there isn't any real requirements because there isn't any real category....other than is seems that most of them feel that the Wielding goggles or similar shaped goggles MUST be worn on the hat. I did, however, see one gal that didn't have any goggles, I must say however that she had PLENTY of other...................... stuff. Her character reminded me of some sort of San Francisco Barbary Coast gal. Kinda like a "Souped up Saloon girl.

This idea that anything prior to 1900 is "Cowboy" is just not the case. That idea would include Zulu Warrior, Samurai, Cossack, and any Make-Believe character from Bilbo Baggins to a Zombie!. Let's not forget that this is suppose to be Cowboy Action Shooting. You know.... Wild Bill was a way out dresser for his time when compared to his contemporaries, so was Buffalo Bill. Neither of them looked to me like a real old time Cowboy, seemed more like gunfighters... hey, there's a idea, let's have a "Gunfighter" Category.... O-yea... we already have one, they use that new Smokeless type powder! Now that I've thought about it... a huge number of folks shooting in this game right now don't look one bit like a real old time Cowboy or a gunfighter, or a so-called Townie, or a, a, a, a, anything from the pre 1900s!. They are right out the stands of a modern Rodeo! (Thank goodness for you Classic Cowboy's..... even the ones with the cute little blue and pink chinks. :D).

So... considering what we actually now have and allow to be worn at our Cowboy Action Shooting matches, (even at our World Championship), I guess that I just can not make much of a case against the Steampunk dress style at this point in time. IMO it sure as hell fits the bill better than those modern Wranglers and Rodeo shirts do. I would NOT however create a separate Shooting category for them.

Snakebite

nice , i like it , they look happy and it looks like all were havin fun ,

i love shooting with my wisconsin friends they always have fun and its contagious , a few weeks ago in north dakota we had victorian swim suited group , nice bunch of folks from out that way who make their shootin fun , i will say somewhat uncomfortable loooking to me , but fun ,

spirit of the game my friends - if its not fun why do it ?

I don't know about any "requirements", but wouldn't these make dandy aliases?

Steampunk Stan

Steampunk Sadie

Steampunk Sweeney

I'm sure there are more.

Ok

Gotta ask

Can a shooter wear welding goggles on their hat in B Western, and Classic Cowboy, with their selves rolled up (with no stitching)

LOL :-)

I saw the photos, it is nothing more than really cool legal CAS dress code with welding goggles:

If you like the look, then wear the look

If you don't, then don't

Simple as that, or not

Archived