SASS Wire Forum

What are the requirements for "STEAMPUNK"

Irish Pat

Just to clarify , we never said anything about getting another "SASS" category added. This is something I'm doing at "MY" club level to try and recruit more shooters. It never hurts to have an open mind about our sport especially if it brings in more shooters at any age level. Remember this sport is for fun ,so lighten up a little and have some :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

".....Steampunk is an effort to encourage amazing costuming while allowing some out of the standard cowboy box way of thinking.

Think more "Wild, Wild West" and "Firefly" than "Shane"

While I don't believe SASS needs any more categories (we have too many already)

Anything that allows folks to enjoy their vision of cowboy and encourages costuming is all right with me.

Desert Scorpion is currently making efforts to turn her costuming choices toward Steampunk - and if she hits on something that re kindles her enjoyment of the game or makes her want to come out and shoot a little more often - I'm all for it............"

i fully concur , im not looking for more rules , i want more fun , if it gets more participation im in favor , i have some friends who have ventured this direction , still the same participants just havin fun with costumes

Yeah, but we also need an open-class "mad scientist" gun category...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/03/maurice-frankenruger-magazine-fed-revolver/

I'm getting 14 shots with no reload out of my New Vaquero. So far. Shorter 9mm handloads with 100gr wadcutters should get me to 15 plus 10 on reload...five in the cylinder, hammer on empty, 10 in the inserted mag, 10 in a spare.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/03/maurice-frankenruger-magazine-fed-revolver/

I'm getting 14 shots with no reload out of my New Vaquero. So far. Shorter 9mm handloads with 100gr wadcutters should get me to 15 plus 10 on reload...five in the cylinder, hammer on empty, 10 in the inserted mag, 10 in a spare.

Looks cool, but I am not really sure how it works.

Can you make me one out of a Colt? :)

Requirements for steampunk?

Wear it someplace else. I doesn't belong in COWBOY action shooting any more than "zoot" shooters.

I love some of the steam punk stuff and "zoot" guns and gear, just not at CAS type events.

Spoken like a true GOFWG :D:lol:

What was the question that this is supposed to answer?

I'd rather have two six-guns and a carbine. Potentially 20 rounds (or more with transfer bar pistols and shorter cartridges), less cumbersome and certainly faster.

How is steam punk not cowboy??

Its all pre 1900 dress, All pre 1900 firearms and All pre 1900 style leather !!

And again NO ONE has said that it should be made another SASS category, I agree that we have enough category's for the National and World matches. If anyone wants to do this at their club level I think it's up to the individual club.

So Lighten up guys and look at the big picture here. The majority of SASS members are not so young anymore. So what ever we can do to grow our sport and recruit younger shooters while still keeping it all "cowboy" I'm for it. Look at Wild bunch for example, it was started to supposedly recruit in some of the younger IDPA, IPSC, and so on shooters. Anyway this sport needs to grow and we can not grow without a little change. Misty Moonshine is trying her hardest at headquarters to turn this sport around. So in my own humble opinion , if your one of the negative posting people about a little something new then my question to you is " What are you doing to help grow SASS?? "

Slick

And again NO ONE has said that it should be made another SASS category, I agree that we have enough category's for the National and World matches. If anyone wants to do this at their club level I think it's up to the individual club.

So Lighten up guys and look at the big picture here. The majority of SASS members are not so young anymore. So what ever we can do to grow our sport and recruit younger shooters while still keeping it all "cowboy" I'm for it. Look at Wild bunch for example, it was started to supposedly recruit in some of the younger IDPA, IPSC, and so on shooters. Anyway this sport needs to grow and we can not grow without a little change. Misty Moonshine is trying her hardest at headquarters to turn this sport around. So in my own humble opinion , if your one of the negative posting people about a little something new then my question to you is " What are you doing to help grow SASS?? "

Slick

Well said Slick!

Too many folks seem to want nothing but their idea of CAS expressed...kinda like the folks that frown on those that roll their sleeves up :wacko:

See ya in a couple days!!!!

Phantom

Slick

Good post. While steampunk isn't my taste, I like seeing folks have fun with it.

OK, I resisted this for a few days, but I can't keep quiet any more.

Steam Punk requires a complete lack of knowledge of 19th Century manufacturing and technology. I have seen more ridiculous 'steam powered' doodads invented by people who have no idea how inefficient an external combustion engine is.

There's a good reason why Samuel Langley's steam powered aircraft could not lift a human pilot while the Wright Brothers' did. Steam engines were too heavy and inefficient.

Driftwood (Curmudgeon) Johnson

Flame Away

Steam Punk requires a complete lack of knowledge of 19th Century manufacturing and technology. I have seen more ridiculous 'steam powered' doodads invented by people who have no idea how inefficient an external combustion engine is.

There's a good reason why Samuel Langley's steam powered aircraft could not lift a human pilot while the Wright Brothers' did. Steam engines were too heavy and inefficient.

Flame

Why would someone "Flame" a post that truly says nothing?

"Steampunk" isn't any more "real" than the fantasy that is Cowboy Action Shooting. I didn't even know what it was until Slick or someone posted about a shoot having it as a fun category. I researched it a little and it seems very similar to any other costume related fantasy endeavor.

Face it, most of us rather rotund and not so young guys who shoot CAS wouldn't have lasted 3 days on a real cattle drive. I can't see a cowboy carrying 2 revolvers, a shotgun and a rifle while walking around town. Perhaps a rifle on the horse and a revolver but not the armament we carry.

CAS is fun. It allows us to live out our fantasy while enjoying a fun shooting sport and associating with others who also enjoy the shooting and "BS'ing".

If people want to make fantasy welding goggles and fictitious steam powered gadgets more power to them. (hey, some of the girls are pretty easy on the eyes too).

Live and let live, if someone wants to do it as a fun thing at a match, alright by me.

Guitar Slinger

Flame Away

We travel to shoots in Ford F150's, Dodge Rams and Chevy Silverados.

Shoot at steel targets and wear modern day polycarbonate shooting glasses.

Our lives are supported by medicines and medical science that have allowed us more years than we would have enjoyed in the Old West era.

And the inefficiency of steam power is what is going to throw off the whole illusion?

Everything we do on the range is a fantasy - a play time that allows us to relive our childhood and forget our day to day real lives for a while.

They're not trying to introduce Glocks and 870's - just pretend that their timeline diverged a little from ours.

Steampunk within a cowboy shoot offends me much less than Wild Bunch within a Cowboy shoot..

Steampunk is loosely based on the Victorian era. 1837 to about 1901. What's not to like. Dress is that of a townie with cool dodads.

Is a form of dress. Cowboys numbered a few thousand at best. Townies numbered in the millions. This is a FANTACY game to be played for maximum FUN. If you can't have FUN or respect others FUN .... stay home <}:-)

Coffinmaker (who likes to play Steampunk)

PS: just find me one period picture of an Alfonso "Walk N Draw"

well last least if we can't shoot very good we can dress up and look good. My wife is more into costumes than shooting and comes for the friendship and banquet and shopping and can care less about shooting. Anyway, am I am glad cause I can at least out shoot her! As long as she has fun dressing up, I get to come shoot with my pals, That is what this is all about anyway, Irish Pat

What was the question that this is supposed to answer?

Maurice happened because I love how SA wheelguns feel in the hand but I don't like the sights, the low firepower and the slow reload speed. I set about systematically fixing each issue, starting with the sights.

The sights aren't my tech. They're a one-off copy of a concept that Tim Sheehan at Goshen Enterprises hasn't released yet, and a variant of his "Hexsite" concept that remains the best handgun sight I've ever used:

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.php

Once I had the sights dialed in I turned to the firepower issues. I invented a gas-powered shell ejection system that worked in 357Mag (the gun's original caliber). But the next step, magazine feeding, wasn't going to happen in 357 because the shell rim would hang up on the pawl on the way in, the mag well hole would be too large and the rounds were long enough that they limited my firepower in tubular magazines. So I did a complete conversion to 9mmPara - Bowen cylinder blank, Dave Manson finish reamer and a leftover section of Douglas Premium barrel in .355" leftover from somebody's carbine project. Once I had 9mm working as the new caliber I did the mag feed conversion...and that was the real "no going back now" point. I actually had to shave the outside face of the pawl a tad to get enough clearance but it not only works, feed reliability with the dead straight feed path is awesome. It'll feed empty shells and doesn't care about OAL, so as soon as I can score some Bullseye or Unique I'll load some Penn 100gr wadcutters extra-short and maybe get ten in the reload mags, maybe even three in the short carry mag for eight out of the holster (three+five).

I have to carry it hammer-on-empty, not for safety but so I don't gas-eject a live round on the first shot. In this feed cycle the firing shell doesn't eject it's own shell, it ejects the previously fired shell :). Once an empty chamber passes in front of the mag it gets topped off, and in the 7-round-to-start mode I get a distinct "clunk" warning that I'm down to my last two shots as the first of the carry mag rounds gets slammed home into the cylinder during a cocking stroke.

The cocking feel is extremely funky but workable, at least for me. I actually like this beast.

It was never meant to be "Steampunk" but at some point it became obvious that I need to shop for brass goggles.

:)

TO UNDERSTAND STEAMPUNK you need to know about two things: Jules Verne and the Babbage Engine:

http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

Steampunk is about asking "what if Victorian-era technology was just a wee bit better?" And one central aspect to that particular excercise is "what would have happened if Charles Babbage had succeeded in jumpstarting the computer revolution before his death in 1871?"

He came damned close. Lady Ada Lovelace (who a modern programming language was named for) wrote the first mathematical algorithm meant for machine processing, programming for the early Babbage Engine in before her death in 1851.

So anyways...by accident, by improving a piece of basically 1873 tech, I made a pretty obvious Steampunk artifact :). Except unlike all but a very few other "Steampunk guns" Maurice is still very much lethal. It's probably one of the strongest 9mmPara guns ever made - that Bowen cylinder could easily be chambered for six rounds of 41Magnum so running it as a 9mm means there's a ton of extra strength on tap for +P+ fodder or a minor handloading mistake :).

I still say if your gonna offer/allow another costume category it needs to be different from the two we have to totally make it different. That's why beside the attire I feel the firearm require should use what firearms are not being used by the two existing since that's part of shooting them. Both allow any sass legal revolver as long as the caliber is .40 or larger for cc. And they split the rifles at a certin year so the only way to be different is C&B revolvers and bp or sub for powder which is the powder of the time since smokeless wasn't discovered yet.

I still say if your gonna offer/allow another costume category it needs to be different from the two we have to totally make it different. That's why beside the attire I feel the firearm require should use what firearms are not being used by the two existing since that's part of shooting them. Both allow any sass legal revolver as long as the caliber is .40 or larger for cc. And they split the rifles at a certin year so the only way to be different is C&B revolvers and bp or sub for powder which is the powder of the time since smokeless wasn't discovered yet.

Black powder steampunk? That'll cut into participation a bit...

We have traditional western dress of the mid ninteenth century. For info see the book, I See by your Outfit, or any Remington or Russel work.

Then we have B Western

I don't see that Steampunk is any further off from reality than B Western. ;)

How about 1911s 97s and 66 rifles to add some brass.

On another thread there is a discussion on what is SASS doing to market to a "younger" crowd. Well.....Steampunk is the someplace to take a serious look. Young, (financially) upwardly mobile, with a strong interest in fantasy.

And as UB says, it isn;t any further removed than B-Western is.

EC

We have traditional western dress of the mid ninteenth century. For info see the book, I See by your Outfit, or any Remington or Russel work.

Then we have B Western

I don't see that Steampunk is any further off from reality than B Western. ;)

Just replace B Western sequins and conchos with gears and you're steampunk.

There would have to be some adjustments on the guns allowing people to attach stuff to them.

steampunk_revolver_by_kman105-d4wns2g.jp

Cool ! Houston. How does it shoot ?

Oh it's not mine. Do a google search on "steampunk gun" to get all kinds of ideas for guns. Some are pretty cool.

Cool ! Houston. How does it shoot ?

Hopefully not at all! :D

There would have to be some adjustments on the guns allowing people to attach stuff to them.

steampunk_revolver_by_kman105-d4wns2g.jp

I think I'd have to draw the line there for safety reasons.

Just to clarify , we never said anything about getting another "SASS" category added. This is something I'm doing at "MY" club level to try and recruit more shooters. It never hurts to have an open mind about our sport especially if it brings in more shooters at any age level. Remember this sport is for fun ,so lighten up a little and have some :)

We are looking forward to being at Hellfire for the first time because we've heard so many good things about it. We also consider it bonus fun that the Steampunk category will be part of it. My bride Sunny is having a major blast preparing. :D

Maybe just think about it like a bunch of Victorian era tourists that ended up sitting down-wind from the Indians smoking peyote... :P:lol:

Thanks Slick for the rare change of pace. ^_^

Archived