SASS Wire Forum

What are the requirements for "STEAMPUNK"

Irish Pat

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no Steampunk category in SASS CAS.

Fillmore

Steampunk is yet another "UNOFFICIAL" category that has no offical rules. It is whatever your local club decides. It varies considerably and is not recognized by all clubs as a viable category.

Steampunk is an effort to encourage amazing costuming while allowing some out of the standard cowboy box way of thinking.

Think more "Wild, Wild West" and "Firefly" than "Shane"

While I don't believe SASS needs any more categories (we have too many already)

Anything that allows folks to enjoy their vision of cowboy and encourages costuming is all right with me.

Desert Scorpion is currently making efforts to turn her costuming choices toward Steampunk - and if she hits on something that re kindles her enjoyment of the game or makes her want to come out and shoot a little more often - I'm all for it.

Some folks are OK with Steampunk dress but not dress allowing for extreme weather conditions?? Steampunk is OK but jeans are not? Why not Star Wars dress next? I suppose our next category will be Zoot (or Zuit) Shooters and their semi auto rifles.

Folks,

Steampunk seems to be a youth-focus idea. (So far, I have seen very few such that are older than myself.)

You may have noticed how well-stocked the "Senior" and up categories tend to be, currently.

If you think of "Steampunk" as another Classic/B-Western sort of thing, and that it will tend to bring in younger folks who might stick around if we welcome them, then it might just help ensure that we do not watch SAS grey-out and die-out in another 20 years.

Who really cares if "Constable Bob of Dimtwiddlesburg" has some extra brassy bits of stuff pinned on, and a set of period goggles on his hat? Can't be worse than some of the walking 50+ badge collections, or "barely costumed - just squeak the rules", or "I saw this outfit in an obscure Z western el-cheapo exploitation flick from the 70's, or was it the 30s?" or "Dude, when did a peacock ever ride a horse?" (or my own offenses against 'fashion humanity'. Clash is good, right? Not throwin' stones in this glass house, no siree....)

Have fun, play by the rules, and don't make your fellow participants leak. And for Heaven's sake, its just a f(riendly) game.

I like the idea. It will be a local club thing for quite I while but what's wrong with that? There are several unofficial categories that many local clubs offer. All any club really needs to do is set some rules and make sure they are available.

My local club has a Cody Dixon category that we shoot as part of the Saturday monthly match. We do it so that we have a reason to bring out our big bore rifles and have fun with them. On Sunday for fun we have a Renegade Category. Each stage has to be shot with a different pistol style. Two stages have to be shot using a two handed grip, Two stages are shot Duellist, and two stages are shot Gun Fighter. Stage writer determines which style is used on each stage. It makes for a really fun day and some of us have discovered that we are not all that bad shooting Duellist or Gun Fighter. Others like myself are having so much fun that the rest really doesn't matter. It is interesting to watch the shooters that have been shooting one handed have to use both hands. Anvil Al, being the prankster that he is, provided an unofficial Renegade King crown that the winner gets to keep from month to month. To me this category is a more accurate method of determining an all around champion because it requires the shooter to master all three pistol disciplines.

Some folks are OK with Steampunk dress but not dress allowing for extreme weather conditions?? Steampunk is OK but jeans are not? Why not Star Wars dress next? I suppose our next category will be Zoot (or Zuit) Shooters and their semi auto rifles.

GCK,

Let it be.

Quite picking the scab.

Jeans are in.

I believe Tex is no longer Editor, (don't know for sure cause I haven't open the e-magazine, yet). So no further 'opinions' are printed from Tex.

There is a Zoot Shoot competition now, i wouldn't be surprised to see the costuming come on over to Cowboy.

Shoot, we recently had a WB'er wanting to shoot CB with his semi 1911. Eventually the wall will be breached and semi's will be allowed in because dwindling attendance/revenue will dictate it.

Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised with Star War costuming.

Possible a rename to Halloween Action Shooting will be a better description. :(

I like the idea. It will be a local club thing for quite I while but what's wrong with that? There are several unofficial categories that many local clubs offer. All any club really needs to do is set some rules and make sure they are available.

My local club has a Cody Dixon category that we shoot as part of the Saturday monthly match. We do it so that we have a reason to bring out our big bore rifles and have fun with them. On Sunday for fun we have a Renegade Category. Each stage has to be shot with a different pistol style. Two stages have to be shot using a two handed grip, Two stages are shot Duellist, and two stages are shot Gun Fighter. Stage writer determines which style is used on each stage. It makes for a really fun day and some of us have discovered that we are not all that bad shooting Duellist or Gun Fighter. Others like myself are having so much fun that the rest really doesn't matter. It is interesting to watch the shooters that have been shooting one handed have to use both hands. Anvil Al, being the prankster that he is, provided an unofficial Renegade King crown that the winner gets to keep from month to month. To me this category is a more accurate method of determining an all around champion because it requires the shooter to master all three pistol disciplines.

Wow that seems like a lot of fun!

Steampunk would be great for the leather smiths since the majority of what I've seen Is leather the old leather goggles on a leather top hat with straps and rings and buckels everywhere. I think the guns need to be addressed some as the cc have before 1880 and bw has guns after that iirc. Maybe make it a C&B and bp. But require the 87 shot gun and the pump rifle. How does that sound?

Yea there is no category at all. Steampunk is a fashion concept based on our way of life before the internal combustion engine. Steam ran the trains before diesel. Wind up watches are steam punk. My guess is since SASS or CAS uses pre 1990 equipment, so from the punk perspective there is an association: but you can see its not reciprocative, and yes I just made that word up. Hey Blackie, when did smokeless powder get marketed?

This year for the first time ever we are offering Men's and Ladies Steam Punk category's at Hell Fire.

The rules are simple, " not written in stone but what I thought was fair " :)

Firearms: Any SASS legal main match revolver 32 cal and larger .

Any SASS legal main match rifle 32 cal and larger.

Any SASS legal shotgun 20g ,16 or 12g.

Any shooting style is accepted (much like the B-Western rule)

Black powder or smokeless accepted .

Clothing : well let's not get that dead horse wound back up

Google steam punk dress and do your best , you will find the clothing part has no rules , just wear them !!!

Hope to see you at Hell Fire '14

Slick

Iirc just before 1900. It was widely accepted and used until the 30/40 Krag and the 1911 where designed for the smokeless powder. Also iirc the 1902 use bp.

Am I close without researching it.

Iirc just before 1900. It was widely accepted and used until the 30/40 Krag and the 1911 where designed for the smokeless powder. Also iirc the 1902 use bp.

Am I close without researching it.

Yep pretty close

According to The Complete Guide to Handloading by Phillip Sharp, The United Stated Smokeless Power Company was organized in 1890 and received its first patent in 1892. Many smokeless powder companies came and went during the 1890s and early 1900s.

The famous "Peyton Powder" manufactured by the California Powder Works was used by the Army in the Krag cartridges during the 1890s. The powder was so corrosive that the cartridges were tinned inside and out to help reduce the corrosive effect of the free acids in the powder.

I find that steampunk western clothing, can really turn ones head......On the right person, of course. There were a few at Comin At Cha awhile back. Dang, just kinda kool and well done.

I find that steampunk western clothing, can really turn ones head......On the right person, of course. There were a few at Comin At Cha awhile back. Dang, just kinda kool and well done.

+1

Got to say. Just look at some pictures of Lady's Steam Punk outfits. :wub:

Oh no.................not another category. With all the new categories, why don't we give out an

award to anyone that signs up to shoot, and be done with it.

What's wrong with another dress category? If it doesn't take away from your shooting or mine, then why quibble?

I like this style of dress, but it isn't a category. I will dress accordingly once I get back stateside, not every match,

but many. My daughter-in-law will probably start shooting CAS if she can dress Steampunk.

If that gets her shooting this game, it's a step in the right direction. Really - why do so many people

worry and complain about what others are dressing like - they all start to sound like Tex!

Enjoy the game the way you want, let others do the same, it ain't about conformity . . .

SC

This year for the first time ever we are offering Men's and Ladies Steam Punk category's at Hell Fire.

The rules are simple, " not written in stone but what I thought was fair " :)

Firearms: Any SASS legal main match revolver 32 cal and larger .

Any SASS legal main match rifle 32 cal and larger.

Any SASS legal shotgun 20g ,16 or 12g.

Any shooting style is accepted (much like the B-Western rule)

Black powder or smokeless accepted .

Clothing : well let's not get that dead horse wound back up

Google steam punk dress and do your best , you will find the clothing part has no rules , just wear them !!!

Hope to see you at Hell Fire '14

Slick

I used Slick's info above to get Steam Punk included the the SASS 2015 Southwestern Territories Black Powder Championship (try getting all of that engraved on a trophy)

Still under consideration but voting looks good.

cr

Oh no.................not another category. With all the new categories, why don't we give out an

Offering more catagories brings in more revenue to the club.

A $10 trophy to whatever catagory you wish, brings in $150 entry fee, of which a banquet expense must be (or not) deducted. But you get the point.

While I am in the NO MORE CATEGORY bunch.

Would like to see Steam Punk. But for me. I would add it into BWestern.

So it would not be a whole different category. Just an addition to one we have.

But that is just my opinion. Don't think it would happen.

Generically, if people wanna dress "steampunk" as a kind of flashy costume, I'd have no problem with that. For guns, they'd still have to use normal cowboy stuff. I don't think it should be a new costume category.

If I was making a "Steampunk" side or special match, I'd set it up as follows:

Pistols: Any pre-1900 pistols. Double Action (non swing out cylidner) and the Broomhandle okay.

Rifles: Any pre-1900 repeating rifle using a "rifle caliber" cartridge.

Shotgun: Any SAFE TO USE pre-1900 repeating shotgun, magazines loaded at the loading table.

Steampunk looks like a lot of fun to me!! What is not to like about more leather??? It seems to me you can use most of your regular cowboy type clothing and just add fun things to it!!!

Archived